Super Geometry Dust

That looks awesome :)

How about "evasive turret" type enemies that stay put and fire something (in my head long laser beams) until you get too close, at which point they dive through the spherical world and emerge on the other side to keep firing at you from a distance :p

The more I see of this project, the more things come to mind. Levels where there are stationary objects that must be destroyed and each slowly spawns enemies until destroyed. A boss level where a boss is fought once you defeat it's stationary objects which spawn enemies etc...Bosses could stand out like the Asteroids and even throw asteroids at you! There could be vortexes that transfer an object from one side of the sphere to the other, or just suck the ship in to destroy it if you don't avoid it. Warp gates, meteor showers (avoid falling objects while defeating enemies) There are just so many things, over time which could be added and modified to really structure this into the most amazing shooter of it's genre. Who knows where it will ultimately go. This will be fun to follow as it already looks awesome!

Thanks for the comments and ideas, everyone. I like the idea for stationary turrets/enemy spawners - that may be the next type of enemy I introduce. :) Right now there is no framework for "levels" as some have described - it's just a "survive as long as you can and get as many points as you can" type of endless mode. I do plan to make an asteroids-only mode, though. And levels would be fun to add at some point - maybe as an update after I get the first version out the door. :)

This looks fun! Any desire to get in on the Riot Tag-Team Compy?

I hadn't really considered it, but I suppose I qualify since I have someone helping me with music.... Not sure though. Plus, I have been working on this off and on for a couple months already; would that matter?

This looks fun! Any desire to get in on the Riot Tag-Team Compy?

I hadn't really considered it, but I suppose I qualify since I have someone helping me with music.... Not sure though. Plus, I have been working on this off and on for a couple months already; would that matter?

As long as the person working on the music is somehow involved in the open handhelds community (as per the rules) then it looks like it would be okay.

I think the question was asked, if started work before the contest started was okay. The answer was yes, as long as there weren't any significant releases before (I think).

Here are the rules anyhow.

Riot Tag-Team Compy Rules

The more entries, the more fun!

if your'e taking suggestions i'd say lower the contrast ebtween teh level and background colours, that plus the ghosting hurts

or am i the only one that got a massive headache form watching the demo vid?

This game has the potential for an awesome 'smart bomb' effect - you coud have a nice 'emp' style wave spreading out around the sphere blowing stuff up, which could also build up into a 'peak' on the opposite side. Would give you a large spread weapon along with a way of targetting something on the other side in a semi-realistic way...

^ I recall him saying that's just his camera, not the screen.

Well, I find the ghosting on the pandora pretty annoying, especially in games with black backgrounds.

This one is definitly going to suffer because of it.

It's especially visible in Wars: Commando's second level when throwing grenades. In any case, that's what I remember him saying. Maybe wermy can verify?

It's especially visible in Wars: Commando's second level when throwing grenades. In any case, that's what I remember him saying. Maybe wermy can verify?

There is *some* ghosting (just the nature of this screen, I think), but it is not nearly as pronounced as the camera makes it look. IMHO it looks great on the Pandora screen. :)

Back