Release Space Rocks!

Damn, my score I worked hard for was taken twice...

@Levi You can pause the game and put the pandora on sleep mode by flicking the power switch. Works here at least. Of course you can't shutdown the game.

I was lucky in that I only got 1 plasma powerup before level 10, and I think two spread powerups via question marks, so most of my powerups were for lazers and beam, which are my two favourite weapons.

On later levels, start out on Beam, provided it's B3 or above, and just concentrate on moving slightly to stay alive. Use beam to pick out a few tiddlers that happen to stray close, but there's no rush since a UFO attack is unlikely if you're only scoring the odd 10 points, and anyway with so many rocks about you've got great defensive cover. Once I've got the space to make a mess, I'll switch to lazer, but keep going back to beam to keep things tidy. Lazer for the UFOs though, always - beam seems to have a max hit rate on them that makes it no better than L1 laser.

I did let laser up the L8 at one point, I think, but it's amazing how quickly it falls apart. I can generally survive one early stupid death, but the next time it's the beginning of the end and each time I die I have less weapons than the time before.

@cloudef Yeah, pause/low power is nice, but sometimes I want to be able to do other things on my Pandora.

Question marks? Which of these do you see as question marks? I just want to know if the graphics are ambiguous :)

Good strategy there. Laser+Beam is a good combo and your approach is the one I used in my top score game as well :p

On desktop (not going to C4A) I've gotten my best score using Spread+Plasma though. Slow movement + spread to clean up and make room, plasma to snipe from afar and UFOs.

Heh, I've always seen that spread icon as a question mark on red, with the gloss shine masking the loop, but now I look at it in the cold light of day it's obvious it's not that. Certainly explains why it always seems to give me spread powerups though ;)

Must admit, I've never seen the point of spread, although I don't think I've ever got it above S4. It does seem to hit more things than I think it should, but still it must have better odds of hitting big rocks than small ones, and thus making mess.

@cloudef Yeah, pause/low power is nice, but sometimes I want to be able to do other things on my Pandora.

Going to desktop, or switching window would be possible in the pure x11 mode, there is slight FPS loss though.

I'm not sure if there is good way to do this on framebuffer mode.

It might be possible by destroying the EGL context and restarting it again when the input focus window gets maximized again.

Another way to go at it would give option in pause menu to save the game state and exit the game.

How the framebuffer context works in Spacerocks is that it renders the game on framebuffer, while keeping fullscreen X11 window on background catching all input / and prevent display fighting.

Most likely

A ) You opened 2 spacerocks

B ) Something opened over this window somehow

C ) You managed to switch desktops and the window spawned on wrong desktop.

D ) Taskbar has some special property? (Always on top etc?)

All of these cases, would cause flicker.

I need to research, if there is way to enforce better for the window always be on top.

(even though the current system using _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN should enforce this on obeying WMs, maybe setting override_redirect which would skip window manager would make it more bullet proof).
I see thanks for the info.

I've noticed that I can see the mouse pointer move while I'm in game if I move the left joystick. Maybe I knocked the sticks whilst playing and it started up my wifi. I did see the wifi connect box on the desktop when I came out of the game which I thought was weird at the time. I'll keep a closer eye on it from now on.

Keep up the good work guys :)

Yes, I can see the mouse pointer pop up momentarily if I move the left nub. It oughtn't act on anything in the desktop as that should be covered by an opaque window, but I haven't tried yet.

Not an issue for me though, since the game controls using d-pad and buttons, so I never use the nubs in it.

The mouse cursor can be easily hidden when in x11 window. I think it could be done for next release as it has no function.

Btw, I took the highscore again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice score Clouddef.  I've been trying to challenge it for the past few days, but not getting anywhere close at the moment.

Speaking of middling scores, how does the c4a upload code work in this?  I achieved a score today in the mid 40ks which doesn't beat my highest score, but I was still fairly proud of it.  Yet despite being online when I exited the game, my score doesn't seem to have been uploaded.  Does it only upload the top score?

Also, feature request - I'd like to be able to turn off up to thrust.  Accidentally thrusting while turning cost me my last life in my 40k game.

I experimented with the spread shot that game.  It does work well, especially a few levels up, and the ring of bullets closest to you pretty much ensures nothing gets through so long as you're not moving too fast, but the problem I have with it is that it scores points too damn quickly!  I think at one point I had three UFO's on screen at once, which is a bit excessive, and then on chasing the bonuses I quickly became undone by all the shrapnel I'd created.  Good fun though!

Levi, yes, it only uploads the top score if it's better than the last one uploaded.

I might turn off the up to thrust in later versions. It's mostly an echo of the desktop version controls anyway :)

Spread is quite the weapon of mass destruction and the UFO overload is indeed its (designed) downfall. The power becomes the curse in all weapons but the humble beam. :p

^ nice vid!  I hope this is not the spaceship we would use to defend our earth from asteroids especially with that short laser beam like someone's tongue licking those rocks  :)

I had a lunatic idea about the space backgrounds, if there is some nebula or something in the background,

driving over that area might slow down the ship, rocks and bullets... maybe like refraction...

I know you won't do this but wanted to mention the idea :p

New Video with the Newer Version in better Qual ;)

Hope the Sound is better too,i rekognized no Soundlag this Time ^_^

Edit: You can replace your first Post Vid with this better one and i am

ingoreis(not ignoreis) :p
Thanks! Will replace in first post :) Also sorry for the typo :p

^ nice vid!  I hope this is not the spaceship we would use to defend our earth from asteroids especially with that short laser beam like someone's tongue licking those rocks  :)
All the weapons have several levels. That puny beam gets bigger... :)
I had a lunatic idea about the space backgrounds, if there is some nebula or something in the background,

driving over that area might slow down the ship, rocks and bullets... maybe like refraction...

I know you won't do this but wanted to mention the idea :p
Sounds like an idea I've had quite a long time regarding spherical gradient time distortions in synchronous multiplayer games. Never implemented this but it's a nice idea :)
Hmm, does that mean that if I play it with wifi off I can just start it another time with wifi on and quit it immediately, and it'll upload my high score then?
Yes.

The mouse cursor can be easily hidden when in x11 window. I think it could be done for next release as it has no function.

Btw, I took the highscore again :)
I need to do this for BeebEm too (hide the mouse pointer). It's easy to do, I'm just lazy to make another release I guess :p

Well done with your high score Cloudef! giving B-ZaR a challenge in his own game

Sounds like an idea I've had quite a long time regarding spherical gradient time distortions in synchronous multiplayer games. Never implemented this but it's a nice idea :)
Sounds interesting, would that allow your local time to slow down and speed up in a certain area, such that when you get out again you would be back in sync with everyone else? Not sure if that corresponds to any real phenomenon in general relativity, I'm guessing not.