Release Space Rocks!

So, some documentation of the issue.

First of all, the texture corruption doesn't happen as far I know in rebirth (and maybe earlier pandoras). Only 1ghz.

No corruption happens when you run in windowed X11 mode (refer to modes here: http://pandorawiki.org/SGX_drivers )

Corruption happens randomly when you run either in framebuffer mode or Fullscreen X11 window.

When corruption occurs once, it will occur always and you need to do clean reboot and try again.

As for the corrupted textures, there is not really anything special with them.

They are just your normal UNSIGNED_BYTE RGBA textures, blitted on FBO (This is the stage they are already corrupted in! So not FBO fault) for texture atlas.

The corruption is random and it's not always just the UFO's or powerups. The explosions/sparks/glows are missing randomly as well.

Updating driver to "4.03.00.02" as recommended here:  http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12233-sgx-driver-installer-beta

Fixes all the corruption problems for me, in both framebuffer and Fullscreen X11 window.

So I guess this problem is somehow related to the GPU differences between 1ghz and rebirth.. Unfortunately the 1ghz ships with the broken driver.

I'll investigate bit more but that's all so far.

Edit:

On newer driver eglSwapInterval is fixed for X11 mode as well..

Surprisingly doesn't work in framebuffer mode though so you need the implementation from here: http://pandorawiki.org/Kernel_interface#vertical_sync

Edit2:

Everything seems to appear just fine in apitrace dumps, so I assume this is just a driver issue :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything seems to appear just fine in apitrace dumps, so I assume this is just a driver issue :/
Thanks for the help Cloudef, I'll try the new driver.  Played space rocks on my rebirth pandora, it's a good fun game and I sunk several hours into it when should have been sleeping!  I still feel it's a little slow-paced or "grindy" at the beginning, to the point that I often crash from losing focus rather than from lack of pilot skillz.  So yeah even if it means fewer accumulated powerups I'd like the option to start at a later level.  I guess I can hack that option in myself thanks to free software liberties ;)

Thanks again B-ZaR and Cloudef for this very fun and challenging game.  Still top of the charts!   :)

Here's a quick test PND for trying out C4A integration. Could a few of you try it out to see if it works?

There's also new glhck and level skip feature there (press N). The level skip is implemented so that it doesn't allow misuse (resets points, weapons, shields and lives), but is not considered cheating either.

Let me know how (if) it works out. At least my score uploaded nicely. The scores are uploaded at program exit as needed.

Yep, this game's all me, using Cloudef's glhck graphics system.

EDIT: Music from jamendo, graphics mostly from opengameart, rest by yours truly. Attributions and licenses are in the PND under snd and img and in github
I always can recommend opengameart, great source and you integreated it really well. :) The game seems to be nicely done. But my Asteroid-like-game-skills are below zero. I jsut can't play gravity shooters, never had talent for threse kind of games. :( Funny enough I also have more talent in vertical shooters than horizontal shooters for whatever reason. XD

Had a very quick go today and It's uploaded the score fine from the looks of it. Tried out the level skip too and that seemed to work flawlessly.

If you want another idea on a feature to add to the game..

How about a percentage of shots on target to go with the score at the end of the game. All you'd need to do is set a variable for the amount of shots fired and another for the amount of hits and work out the difference between them. I think it would be a good idea seeing as though it's more of a relaxed skill game :)

Trip: That would probably be a bit problematic regarding the balancing of different weapons. With plasma you can hit several asteroids with one shot and with spread you probably miss most of your shots (individual pellets). Another thing making it hard to determine the percentage is beam. The actual weapons you end up using are mostly up to chance because you get what you get from the powerups. There's also some difficulty in hitting the tiny asteroids without zeroing in with slow relative ship-asteroid motion and constant firing. It's a nice idea on the surface and would bring some more skill and strategy as opposed to mindless blasting, but in the end I think it would encourage behavior that is less fun (using low-level weapons because the high-levels you have miss a lot, trying to hit tiny asteroids from point-blank range to avoid missing them) :)

New version 1.1.1.0 in the repo

New Stuff:

• New glhck with framebuffer based rendering for better performance
  • Skip levels with "n" (your stats will reset when you do this)
  • C4A integration
  • Updated screenshots

Gosh!  Just switched to Notaz' suggested DGX driver, and boy, look at them sparklies!

Oddly, it does seem to alter gameplay as well though.  Before, I seemed to be able to collect powerups with free abandon, but now it seems that if I've got my laser up to level 2 and pick up a plasma powerup, it resets my laser to level 1.  If I then collected a matching plasma powerup though, I could take that up to level 3, but it's only possible to have one levelled up weapon now, apparently.

asteroids.png

Themed asteroids incoming!

Now I just need suitable backgrounds... :p

Oh, also keyboard support for high scores and other smaller fixes.

Not yet but soon.

Lava-Planet in the bg for lava rocks, Ice Planet system for ice rocks?  There are many beautiful space pix, I'm sure something will fit into these themes. ^^

I'll go by what both fits the theme and offers enough contrast. Lots of nice suitable pictures here. IIRC the license is Public Domain as well. Need to check before using :)

Hmm yeah, played again and I was able to build up my Pulse level freely, but it would seem as if something kept resetting my laser and beam level to 1 (my Spread level also ended up less than half of my pulse level, but I never spotted that going backwards). Are there some powerups that reset other levels to 1? I've not managed to catch it happening red handed, but I suspect one of the ? powerup possibilities may do that.

I don't think it's anything to do with Notaz' SGX now - just that now I can tell them apart I'm paying more attention to what they do perhaps.