Release ProjectX: Forsaken

HA! Looks who's talking, you're distributing commercial game files with your port. It's all this piracy shit that has made me decide to abandon this platform, between stuff like that, and the sale of games in the repo like duke nukem that you people don't have the commercial rights to.

The Apogee 3DRealms games is being sold by Justin from GCW-Zero team, they do have the commercial rights to sell it..

Can't say much about ProjectX though.

Edit: they have 3DRealms license not Apogee..

Last edited by a moderator:
The source code, not including music and cutscenes, was released into the public domain in 2007, after which ProjectX, or ForsakenX (Github name), was formed by members of the Forsaken and Descent fan communities. To date they have ported the game to run on Mac, Linux and modern versions of Windows, with functional online multiplayer and some graphical enhancements.
ProjectX Forsaken is real Free ;)

But i searched a little for that Information

http://www.giantbomb.com/forsaken/3030-15636/

Edit: Oh cool,can i play from Pandora to Pandora 2 Players over Network?

The source code, not including music and cutscenes, was released into the public domain in 2007, after which ProjectX, or ForsakenX (Github name), was formed by members of the Forsaken and Descent fan communities. To date they have ported the game to run on Mac, Linux and modern versions of Windows, with functional online multiplayer and some graphical enhancements.
ProjectX Forsaken is real Free ;)
But i searched a little for that Information

http://www.giantbomb.com/forsaken/3030-15636/

Edit: Oh cool,can i play from Pandora to Pandora 2 Players over Network?
Where exactly does it say that the assets are free?

Many opensourcegames have their sourcode released but still need the commercial gamefiles to run as they are not free...

"considored abandonware"

Doesn't sound legally right, but if they got away with it for this long, it could be ok.

ahhh, shitty ass pirates and their "abandonware" excuse. Oh hey you haven't been using your car for a while, it's abandoned so i'll take it.

^EDIT: Keep profanity to a minimum according the forum guidelines, I'm tolerating you enough with the accusations you're making. Next time your account will put on time out.  - TrashyMG

IIRC you've accused the people responsible for the selling of the 3D Realms games. 

You have a point, though: the non open-source data files should probably be removed from the repo since "Abandonware" isn't an exception to copyright law in most countries. But also note that copyright infringement is not considered as theft in most countries. Theft it theft but copyright infringement is copyright infringement.

I'm not making accusations, i'm stating facts. theft is theft.
If you approached this issue as an adult and not like a 5 year old child I'd have more respect for you. Something doesn't seem quite right with ProjectX, I don't buy the "Abandonware" excuse either even if it's been on github for so long.. The 3drealms Contract with Justin the founder of the GCW-Zero Handheld, take that up to him if you don't believe it.

I'm not making accusations, i'm stating facts. theft is theft.

If you approached this issue as an adult and not like a 5 year old child I'd have more respect for you. Something doesn't seem quite right with ProjectX, I don't buy the "Abandonware" excuse either even if it's been on github for so long.. The 3drealms Contract with Justin the founder of the GCW-Zero Handheld, take that up to him if you don't believe it.
Well, I'm just going by the fact that the guys at 3DR have seemingly never heard of this guy.

Are you sure you're truely talking to anyone at 3Drealms or any one that would know licensing agreements at 3DRealms... but like I said before if you have issues address it to Justin.

Are you sure you're truely talking to anyone at 3Drealms or any one that would know licensing agreements at 3DRealms... but like I said before if you have issues address it to Justin.
As I said, I asked George and Scott. Neither of them have heard of Justin or the GCW.

Probably a troll. If you are stating the that Justin is is doing illegal (selling or using software for which he has no license), please go to a court. And maybe put your personal informations under your post here, so if you are telling wrong accusions, Justin can take legal steps against you.

As I'm fairly sure that George and Scott aren't going to admit to knowing a fella named AssButt, I suspect you're right about it being a troll.

Hello,

I wanted to say that i've managed to get hold of an old build of projectx (for Windows) that has the old original Forsaken textures for most levels, the menu. I believe they will take a lot less load and look considerably better (or 'classic' as how i think me and many would prefer it) and the game will run better. They are probably 128x128 or 256x256 but no more. I need to know how i can copy them, as I am a newbie, but i want to help, so that it can be copied to the projectx Pandora version. I'm thinking of getting a Pandora, but if i can't, i'd just like to be able to help people with this, since i do have something to do with 'helping' the Pandora community.

Thanks.

-MT441HD

@MT441HD: Hi. That's nice, but we should not distribute the data from an original CD like that.

We can discuss on how to put that data to replace the one embedded in the PND, so everyone that has original disc can set it up, but not distribute them.

That "data" folder should be put inside appdata/projectx and it will automatically replace data from the PND. I haven't tested, so please report if it's a simple plug'n play operation.

*EDIT* ah, didn't notice you don't have a Pandora (yet).

Nice!

I used to loooove this game on the PC; it made me buy a fancy flightstick, even, just to deal with those roving tanks better :)

Used to play Master of Magic (4x game), then multiplay in Forsaken. good times.

Thanks for this!

jeff

Back