SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

That's exactly what I was talking about, the "go too far and now you're hindering me, the legitimate customer". I have no objection to halting the casual pirate, but they keep upping the stakes trying to halt the Brand Name pirate, and innocent customers are getting caught in the crossfire.

If it hinders piracy by 2 months then maybe it might be worth it to lose a few customers and recover them from people who would have pirated if they could have but didn't want to wait, but I've seen far more DRM schemes get in my way and still have pirate releases within days of the official release (if not before) than not. On the other hand, that's heavily biased because the games I tend to hear about are highly publicized, right down to the piracy figures.
Yeah thats what put me off pc gaming the honest punter has to go through all the agro of drm,steam and entering codes just to play a game so while the pirates get what they want the punters suffer the mudslinging and biterness of the software houses ,there pushing the honest players into a corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Certain game publishers are now thoroughly in the business of lumping pre-owned game purchasers along with pirates; punishing them for not buying the game new by including one-use codes.

They obviously don't care a toss about the minority customer opinion of their latest super-mega-blockbuster must-have game. The market is now so huge that there are plenty of indifferent consumer whores ready to lap up your game, no matter what quality it might be.

The response these days to a bad review is not: "oh, I best not buy that then" but rather: "OMG ur a stupid pos u know nothing cod is tha best game evar!!!!"

@ANDROID

I do agree that Sony's software sales where low in comparison to hardware sales, but I personally feel that was due to just standard ports of PS2 games. Almost everything released on the DS was original ideas and concepts. Many games that could only be played on the DS is what made that system a success over everyone else, including the PS2 at the time. I feel most people bought a PSP as a all-in-one device, until they realized everything they already had did music and movies better than PSP. The one thing it had over all the other devices at the time was games, but that saw very few original ideas and concepts brought to the market(patapon and locoroco being some of the few exeptions)

You are right in saying my friends where in the minority, but I think they represent a good group on the whole. They didn't want to pay 30-40 dollars for the same games they could buy used or new for the PS2 and play on a big screen TV. Most of the games pirated on the PSP are games I don't think anyone would have bought anyways, so piracy is a non issue. The PSP was a very nice system, but didn't become great until CFW was added as it improved on many short comings of the actual system(many of which where Sony caused problems).

In the last few years, many triple AAA titles on 360, Wii, and PS3 have been leaked early, and these games still sale very well and push system sales after official release. Piracy on the PSP was just one of many problems that held that system back, but I will never believe that was the only reason why it failed. I think that is just Sony putting a spin on their own poor ideas and execution, instead of saying we fucked up and did dumb shit over the life of the PSP. It is just easy to say we lost out due to piracy, I just don't see it.

Where Sony really could have had great sales was in the digital download area, and that was just a joke for the whole life of the PSP, and Sony knows it. The vita has proper digital downloads out of the gate, and the physical copies cost more than the digital, the way it should have been 6 years ago. It took them almost 4 years just to be able to download straight from PSN to PSP(and not use the PS# as the middle man), WTF was that about? They had also had a perfect system in place to run PS1 games, and they released next to nothing from their classic library for download over the first half of it's life cycle.

Like I said, piracy was just one small reason piece of a HUGE puzzle of poorly implimented ideas, and lack of overall support from Sony and 3rd parties.

Chris

@ANDROID

I do agree that Sony's software sales where low in comparison to hardware sales, but I personally feel that was due to just standard ports of PS2 games. Almost everything released on the DS was original ideas and concepts. Many games that could only be played on the DS is what made that system a success over everyone else, including the PS2 at the time. I feel most people bought a PSP as a all-in-one device, until they realized everything they already had did music and movies better than PSP. The one thing it had over all the other devices at the time was games, but that saw very few original ideas and concepts brought to the market(patapon and locoroco being some of the few exeptions)

You are right in saying my friends where in the minority, but I think they represent a good group on the whole. They didn't want to pay 30-40 dollars for the same games they could buy used or new for the PS2 and play on a big screen TV. Most of the games pirated on the PSP are games I don't think anyone would have bought anyways, so piracy is a non issue. The PSP was a very nice system, but didn't become great until CFW was added as it improved on many short comings of the actual system(many of which where Sony caused problems).

In the last few years, many triple AAA titles on 360, Wii, and PS3 have been leaked early, and these games still sale very well and push system sales after official release. Piracy on the PSP was just one of many problems that held that system back, but I will never believe that was the only reason why it failed. I think that is just Sony putting a spin on their own poor ideas and execution, instead of saying we fucked up and did dumb shit over the life of the PSP. It is just easy to say we lost out due to piracy, I just don't see it.

Where Sony really could have had great sales was in the digital download area, and that was just a joke for the whole life of the PSP, and Sony knows it. The vita has proper digital downloads out of the gate, and the physical copies cost more than the digital, the way it should have been 6 years ago. It took them almost 4 years just to be able to download straight from PSN to PSP(and not use the PS# as the middle man), WTF was that about? They had also had a perfect system in place to run PS1 games, and they released next to nothing from their classic library for download over the first half of it's life cycle.

Like I said, piracy was just one small reason piece of a HUGE puzzle of poorly implimented ideas, and lack of overall support from Sony and 3rd parties.

Chris
Very well put jumpman sony need a whole new marketing model throwing the same old games and revamped classics and franchises down the consumers throats just wont work any more some originality and new ideas wouldnt go amiss.

And let me just say, I personally don't think the PSP "Failed". It has sold like 66 million worldwide right? That is great numbers in my opinion(the best of any non Nintendo handheld), but the industry and Sony say it failed, so I guess it failed. It's currently the number one selling system in Japan despite piracy, so I can never understand why "ANYONE" would say it failed due to that issue.

Chris

Certain game publishers are now thoroughly in the business of lumping pre-owned game purchasers along with pirates; punishing them for not buying the game new by including one-use codes.

They obviously don't care a toss about the minority customer opinion of their latest super-mega-blockbuster must-have game. The market is now so huge that there are plenty of indifferent consumer whores ready to lap up your game, no matter what quality it might be.

The response these days to a bad review is not: "oh, I best not buy that then" but rather: "OMG ur a stupid pos u know nothing cod is tha best game evar!!!!"
What i find odd and very annoying about these one use codes supplied with new copies of games is that they punish me for buying a secondhand copy of a game.In the case of batman arkham city you cannot play as catwoman or play the levels she features in grrr. What is a fallacy is that they are losing so much money to the secondhand market. I might buy a secondhand game in a specific genre/type etc that i would normally never buy at full price. If i really like this game then i am inclined to buy the inevitable sequel brand new on the first day of release. In this way secondhand games are feeding back into sales of new games. Example i bought fear secondhand and then i bought fear files and fear 2 brand new.nuff said

for anyone interested in the launch 3G vita, with an 8gb and a free psn title for $299

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/01/27/special-launch-day-ps-vita-3gwi-fi-bundle-announced/

We are happy to announce today that we will be creating an extremely limited edition PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi bundle designed to reward those who brave the cold to stand in line on February 22nd (or even those who come in the few days that follow). In addition to the PS Vita hardware, we will be including an 8GB PS Vita Memory Card, an AT&T DataConnect Session Pass and a PlayStation Network game all for the usual MSRP of $299. This SKU is part of a promotional offer and will sell out immediately so we strongly recommend that you purchase your PS Vita early to make sure you get the extra value!

Alright Gals/Guys, 2-3 weeks until Vita Launches(depending on if your getting the early bundle or not), so who here is getting one, and what games and memory do you plan to get?

1.Vita Wi-Fi(only)model

2.8gb Memory Card

3.Uncharted Golden Abyss

4.Escape Plan(PSN)

5.Skinomi Full Body Screen Protector(Already Have)

6.Hori "Silver" Carry Case(Already Have)

Chris

My Order is

1. Sony Playstation Vita Wifi Only Model

2. 8gb Memory Card (for free because the Amazon.de preorder action)

3. Unchartet Golden Abys

4. Little Deviants

5. Touch my Katamary

6. Sony Travel Pack (case, wristfrap, gamecase etc)

I hope to have enough saved up before launch for:

1. Wifi-only Vita (no pre order yet, should probably get on that...)
  2. 32GB memory card
  3. Wipeout
  4. Super Star Dust
  5. And MAYbe Uncharted

Haven't been this excited for something gaming-related in a long time! :D

I hope to have enough saved up before launch for:

1. Wifi-only Vita (no pre order yet, should probably get on that...)
  2. 32GB memory card
  3. Wipeout
  4. Super Star Dust
  5. And MAYbe Uncharted

Haven't been this excited for something gaming-related in a long time! :D

That 32GB memory card will be quite a price, not sure they are currently available to order in the UK but you can import one for the bargain price of approx £85. Just bought a 32GB SDHC card for my Pandora for £18 delivered.

Long live Sony price gouging :angry:

when i get one ill get the

wi-fi only version

8 gig card (absurdly expensive)

shinobido 2

Motorstorm rc.

Maybe resistance.

1 x Wi-Fi model

1 x Wi-Fi with 3G model

Then I'll try and get every physical Aussie launch game.
Don't you already have a jap import vita sony? 3 vitas! All work and no P...No Wait All play and no work makes sony a happy boy.

Back