Some Quick Sneak Peeks

ashdjones said:
Most annoying clip breakage for me was my Gizmondo - combination of thin plastic and taking the battery out after every use (something you really have to do as it runs itself flat even while powered off).

Please tell me there'll be replacements available?

The difference is that you shouldn't have to take the back off and the battery out ever. The battery recharges when plugged into a USB port via the Pandora. No need to remove the batteries. Well, that's my understanding anyway.

Surely the clips will only ever get loose or break if people keep fiddling with them unnecessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the battery is charged internally, and the Pandora shouldn't be so stupidly designed that it can discharge while off. I would expect it to last at least a week or a month when completely powered down.

The keymat render looks really nice, IMO. Of course I'm looking forward to seeing what the real one looks like. I think so far the real things we've seen have always looked nicer than the renders.

Doe this mean it won't be available to after Xmas? Does anyone know the current target date? Maybe it's better that there isn't a target date since they have missed so many already.

Chris

iprice said:
The battery recharges when plugged into a USB port via the Pandora. No need to remove the batteries.

In fact, if you take the battery out you cannot charge it - as I understand it the Pandora is the only safe charger for these custom batteries.

christo930 said:
Doe this mean it won't be available to after Xmas? Does anyone know the current target date? Maybe it's better that there isn't a target date since they have missed so many already.

Chris

craigix said theyll begin shipping in october. make of that what you will.

Tor said:
The (single) clip on my N800 battery cover is of metal.. it doesn't seem to want to break anytime soon.

Well obviously a metal clip won't break that easily, but this will be plastic.

-God Ginrai

My only minor concern with the new clip design is whether your middle fingers would rest uncomfortably against the clips when holding the Pandora.

If the clips are positioned such that fingers won't overlap them, or fitted flush enough that you don't feel it, there's no problem.

If they do rub a bit... well, there's always duct tape. I doubt I'll ever be opening mine up.

you could make some silicon tampons it that would annoy you.

there are some things that tape cant fix, for everything else there is crazy glue
(Even Plastic Surgeons now use Cyanoacrilate instead of stitches)

Xian Long said:
why hasn't this been blogged yet, gruso?

he's being detained as a suspect in connection with a sting of missing-kitty reports

OpenTheBox said:
I like the clips as well.

The clips have one weak point and that is it can break with too much fiddling.

Screw have 3 weak points.
1) The groove for the screw gets warn out.
... Not very likely, but still a possibility, especially if you are going to fiddle with it alot.
2) You drop that tiny screw and can't find it.
... I don't know about you guys, but I've dropped and lost plenty of tiny screws before.
3) Carrying a tool for that screw.
... If you intend to use the Pandora on a plane, good luck bringing a screw driver type of tool aboard.
... If we go with Phawx's suggestion of using the back end of the stylus, that would make the stylus proprietary. Not something we want, well, not something I want. And if you lose that stylus...

Couldn't agree more. I've found that screws are far worse, because the threading gets worn too much and you have to continually screw it tighter and tighter, which starts deepening the grooves etc.

Sliding battery covers are awful too, my Nokia 3310 can attest to that as well as my 6230i - I just play with them, and there's so little holding it in place it just pops off if you drop it.

Looking real good. Thanks for the update.

Speaking of Gruso, whatever happened to Chip? Is he still around, or is he propping up a motorway somewhere?

Monk said:
Speaking of Gruso, whatever happened to Chip? Is he still around, or is he propping up a motorway somewhere?
i hope he is about somewhere, i always quite liked him. he bore a lot of the brunt of the wiz gph fanboy trolling, esp when there was suggestions of board moving and i think he got sick of it and found better things to do

Im Afraid he is under a Investigation for the dissapearing of several kittens near his house

Two Weeks (tm)

oh no, break news a new kitten has dissapeared.

XD, the screw option would be nice if there were Metal inserts, but that kind of construction is way too expensive and time consuming since there is the need of
a robot puting these.

btw it migh not be my concern but i would like to know if they are using Monocavities Moulds (one mould for each part top case/out/in, bottomcase/up/down, Stylus) or Multicavities mould?

it would be needed to recalculate the case production times in my estimated.

I have some battery covers with clips that have a little plastic splint inside the angle of the clip, such that you can't open the clip too wide - just wide enough to remove the cover. That'd be a feasible mod you could make. I haven't broken a clip for years and years anyway, but this type seem the sturdiest to me, if you're worried about that sort of thing.

Back