Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Weird that this Shoulder Button issue surfaces so late in the development but how ED described it, no doubt the old Case Company messed it up. And we spent so much time in the community back then to focus on the Pyra Shoulder buttons to be better than the ones at the Pandora, which also had many issues. Mine only work with pieces of paper in it for instance. At least it seems that for the Pyra it can be fixed in a professional way now, instead of additional paper pieces. ^^
And then we want to know how good the buttons actualy work, pls ;)

[...]

Even weirder! FormAction designed case, so it was their own CAD files!
They can clearly be seen in the 3D Data, but they're missing in the mold!

I didn't notice this at first - before greenlighting the mold, I used 3D printed cases, and of course, everything was correct there!
I didn't expect that stuff from the 3D data would be MISSING! I figured that the 3D data is automatically translated into data for the CAD machine, but it seems there's still some manual interaction, as these support pegs were missing!

Well, and I didn't notice that until I made a thorough inspection why the shoulder buttons caused such issues... this is definitely something you don't expect!

I guess, what happened there is: They started the process with an older 3D version and added the pegs later in the file. So two different versions of data laing around (witch goes horribly wrong all the time)

@EvilDragon I think, I heard something like not every 3D-CAD modell is usable with CNC-mills or rather the need for a certain structure. Something about how the model is constructed like starting with a block and taking shapes away would be prefered or needed. I'm not terribly sure, though.

Someone more knowledgable than me around?

13 y of 3D-CAD development experience. I know, that everything can go wrong everywere :D
Normaly the file is uploaded in the mill and then the path has to be optimised. But as I said: ecgwe xD

@ED thanks so much for the detailed video on the case issues. Hard to believe that they were seriously thinking to jerry-rig spacers, but I guess it just highlights that small, detailed components is something they weren't comfortable working with. In any case the solutions are detailed and known, and the new company are inspiring a lot of confidence.

Shame they're on a long holiday, but I won't complain the rate they've been working to date. Hope they have a good break. :)

That's why it's better to work with professionals.
They are professionals.

You are professional when you doing it for al living.
You are an amateur when you're doing it out of fun.
Thats no indication of quality.

I didn't expect that stuff from the 3D data would be MISSING! I figured that the 3D data is automatically translated into data for the CAD machine, but it seems there's still some manual interaction, as these support pegs were missing!
Normaly the file is uploaded in the mill and then the path has to be optimised. But as I said: ecgwe xD

I'm working in the chipping and manufaction area.

And its far from "press a button in CAD and the machines produce the part".
And normally the CAD-files don't get uploaded to the CNC machines.
CNC-Machines get feeded with G-Code or similar.
Yes the same code like 3D printer.

The normale way is this:
The CAD model-person gives the CAD files to the programmer.
He loads the files into CAM.

There he/she selects which feature gets machined on a selected machine with the choosen tool in the selected strategy.
And when this programmer don't pay enough attention, he / she misses some features.
This happened to me one or two times too.

(And this is the stage where often heated battles between CAD designer & programmer are fought because of wanted / needed features & real world production restriction / laws of physics.)

After this procedure the "raw instructions" get exported from CAM and get translated to G-Code, Haidenhein Code,... by the post processor which is cusomised to match the used machines.

And at the end, the code get send to the machine before the part gets manufactored.
There are some companies where the programs get written on the machine.
But because the machine stands still while the program gets written, most companies write the programs external while the CNC machines produce parts.

Last edited:
Many of them comes from the management: tight delays, will to sell technical support, bad recruitment, weak management, etc.

Weird that this Shoulder Button issue surfaces so late in the development but how ED described it, no doubt the old Case Company messed it up. And we spent so much time in the community back then to focus on the Pyra Shoulder buttons to be better than the ones at the Pandora, which also had many issues. Mine only work with pieces of paper in it for instance. At least it seems that for the Pyra it can be fixed in a professional way now, instead of additional paper pieces. ^^
And then we want to know how good the buttons actualy work, pls ;)
Hello there. I have been burn out to figure out how to fix the Shoulder buttons at the current molds cause they dint work properly .I had come with 3 new deferend ways and finnaly found the one that will work the best to have a nice smooth movement ,sorry for the delay but i was waiting the results from 3D Printing .The outside of the top button will change and also the movement .There will be a spring in the Top button too, but since this spring is special and i couldnt find in the market we Figure out how will do in plastic.So the plan now is creating the new plastic spring and assemple it to the top button with the new design.(people are working in the mold section right now).I am happy that ED Trusts me with the upgrading and believe me we had creating over 1800 molds and it is the first time i am so hyped been in part with a job that has to do with Gaming.Gaming is believing so you have to Respect it.This information about the buttons and how will move forward is something i just gived today to ED since he was waiting my answer how will do it .This days we will complete the new Design and making samples from it to see if there is a need to change something.As soon as the shoulder buttons are been Fixed i will send Complete samples with the Pyra to ED and if he agrees that everything is good then i am ready for production.

@azouh I love to see you getting so hyped about the project and how much effort you put into it. :) A plastic spring worries me a bit, though. But maybe only, because I don't know very much about the various plastics. So, as a layman I wonder, if a plastic spring can hold up over time as a metal spring could. Or would the plastic spring loose its springiness more quickly?

If you do not push the plastic spring over it's bending point, there should be no problem with it's durability, just like a steel spring.
And since the travel distance of the shoulderbuttons is a fixed length, all should be good.
There is even one advantage:
Should the spring come loose (because of a drop or watever reason) it will cause no short circuits on the board.
Good work @azouls !!!

Edit:
The plastic should not be treated with plastic softener, as it vaporises over time and the plastic gets hard and brittle.

Last edited:
About the plastic Spring,It is something new for us that we are creating for this spectacular reason.So from my expreriance to create this Springs will be by using Polyurethane as a raw matterial.And depense the Sor i can give the hardness that we want for the smooth movement.The Polyurethane cannot be Broken . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyurethane .Also ACETAL is the next matterial for this job .We will do the tests and see what happens :).
[doublepost=1558094923,1558090966][/doublepost]Just incase someones wonder about (Gaming is believing) .It is our Moto all this years.i am the skinhead at the frond

Attachments

• asdasd.jpg
    asdasd.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 320
thanks @azouls, with your team working on case pyra will soon be reality. We are getting there ( as ED would say).
Pyra already have many unusual qualities, like having plenty of data storage options ( 4 USB, 3 SD + emmc ), ability to work as gaming device, netbook and smartphone, modular design, open hardware, open software and it is still getting refined and customized. This is going to be really unique device. Happy times ahead.

I never though that being a "pro controller" was on the Pyra's radar. Until now.

I'm stoked!
XD i never sayed that i was pro at controllers, But defentatly i had spend 21 years in competitive scene (Strategy,Fps,Moba at PC). I love games and spended lots of hours playing single player games too(metroidvania,hack and slash,Rpg,RogueLike,Platform) .So like the most of the people here i had spend many hours on Sega,Nintendo,Xbox,Playstation Controllers.Pyra is more complex from a simple controller and things are very Tight inside there.So i know very well what you guys want on pyra when it has to do with Back Buttons and since i wanna play with Pyra too i am all in . It seems meeting ED was Destiny .

I hope at least the PCB mounting posts have been implemented in the moulds by now, so that the pins on the button caps contact the switch buttons (the english language is kind of lacking here I think). Worth making something that basically functions before spending too much time in making it perfect IMO.

Back