No prototypes for GamesCom, but a Wifi Chip and a Pyra in the dark!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Wrath Of Khan

Wrath Of Khan Soul soother...

Nah, Ed will play it safe. He knows it's a small market. He won't risk alienating anybody. He will come up with a satisfactory solution.

So no guarantees that the Pyra can be used as a router? Can it be done through software in any fashion?

2. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From the tiny research I've done, it seems people outside of Ti has been able to get AP mode working.

3. benoitb

benoitb Very Active Member

I'm not a programmer, but from what I read on a TI wiki, I should be able to make a simple bash script to turn on/off 4G->WifiAP routing.

_wb_ likes this.
  4. SNESFAN

SNESFAN Retro game fanatic

5Ghz wifi if you want a good game streaming experience. Even if the problem I experience is because of other networks, the difference is very noticeable where I'm at. I would actually vote for 802.1ac if it's an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
    Tenka likes this.
  5. slaeshjag

slaeshjag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anything directly from Ti should be regarded as purely theoretical though.

Eight Bit likes this.
  6. notaz

notaz Certified Guru

It's not, unless you can find an suitable+available+affordable chip.

7. CFWhitman

CFWhitman Member

I experience a noticeable speed boost on a machine with an 802.11 a/b/g card connecting to an 802.11n router when I use the 5 GHz connection over the 2.4 GHz connection. That kind of card gives the same theoretical maximum at 2.4 GHz (g) and 5 GHz (a), 54Mbps, but it's still faster on a 5 GHz connection. This is in an area that isn't even that densely populated compared to a large city (this city is less than 15,000 people, and there are always trees in view). Several factors can enter in. The availability of 5 GHz is a definite plus, regardless of the bottleneck that's built in to the Pyra hardware. The question is, how much difference does it make to the project's viability. If it can be practically done without risking the project, then I would say, do it. However, if it creates a significantly greater risk of the project never being completed, then I can certainly live without it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
    Tenka likes this.
  8. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Advanced Member

Any interesting news about Pyra on this 15 days ED?

9. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The past two weeks on his twitter have pretty much been filled with Gamecom news and videos with a bit of stuff about RetroPi.  Niklaus should be back of holiday now though, so hopefully the Pyra news will start coming sooner than later.

10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yep, still catching up with all the work, but Nikolaus should be back on Monday and start working on the prototype CPU PCBs :)

11. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Advanced Member

Thank you, i have been out for some days and review all the threads with so much personal and senseless discussion (not always ;) ) take it time so i wanted to be sure not to lose any information :D .