Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 11, 2019.

1. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

Transparent would be cool, but nobody knows how long it will look cool: I carry my Pandora in my Pockets and its dosnt look that good anymore, and scratches and wear on a Transparent Case would be look much worse,
    also there is this issue of light leaking..

In the End. it dosnt matter much for me which collor my Pyra will have, as long i get a Pyra in my Livetime..

KidPaddle, tarator and ClockworkCoder like this.
  2. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

What about the robustness ? Compared to the OP cases ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    rygD likes this.
  3. pyrat

pyrat Very Active Member

I don't know about plastics, or how they look after some use, but I don't find the issues so severe. I must respect people trying to perfect their work, and salesman trying to have nice products to sell, but if it was me, I wouldn't spend more time perfecting it.
    It's only aesthetics, and then under the right light and so. My gut feeling is I can't afford things to be so nice. I prefer them to work. I also don't know whether some of the options makes the case stronger or more resistant.

I prefer my unit to look ugly so it is less likely to be considered valuable and stolen. So feel free to use that black case for me if it saves time or money or whatever (but there must be lots of people before me).

In fact the one with more stone-like appearance for me could already be considered final. I can't see what not to like there. Maybe better in black than that grey, but that grey looks very good too.
    It's possibly only the look, but it looks as it the stone-like grey can be easier to grab too, hard to tell without touching it.

On the semitransparent black, it's ok with me, but I'd need to see how a full Pyra looks with all its lights shinning with or without ambient light. I might not like it. And the ocean blue I don't like much, but if people like then whatever.

Thanks again for your efforts and good luck.

Swordfish II and Haraldur like this.
  4. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

The stone one looks fine to me, and I think black case with black paint is also a good option, It shall look good even when scratched.

Haraldur and zoranc like this.
  5. AndiTheBest

AndiTheBest Active Member

Phew, now i think about getting a stone-look Pyra instead of dark red :D

Haraldur and clort like this.
  6. zoranc

zoranc Member

I agree. The stone-look Pyra is close to perfect. I'd accept it for my pre-preorder right away!

Haraldur and ClockworkCoder like this.
  7. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Hardcore Member

I wonder if the marks in the plastic are less visible with light colored plastic... Maybe it's told in the video but I had to see it without audio.
    :)

8. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Like a retro-cream colour? ;) I think that has been mentioned before as helping. In the video only transparent or stone-effect cases were mentioned.

To be honest, they all look fine. If there are a few imperfections to begin with then I'll feel more inclined to use my Pyra without feeling I need a protective case or handle it with gloves on.

With all the parts assembled and lights on, I even doubt that anyone would notice them anyway, unless specifically looking for them.

Eight Bit and Swordfish II like this.
  9. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Incidentally, do I take it that this focus on perfecting the case moulding process means that the shoulder buttons (replete with springs?) are now working perfectly?

10. gpsqueeek

gpsqueeek Active Member

Dark red + stone effect = brick style
    Why not ? :-D

Alphasys and Grench like this.
  11. elvissteinjr

elvissteinjr Very Active Member

Not really a fan of the glitter case. Might be the lighting though in addition to the base gray used there being too bright for my taste either way, though.
    Good paint could work fine in the end. I suppose you just need someone who knows what they're doing on that end, so button tolerances vs. paint thickness is actual kept in mind.

I also had a dumb thought of injecting a mostly closed case shape and then punching out the button parts evenly. But I doubt that's practical in way..

12. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

I like this idea. Dimensionally the Pyra is a bit of a brick. May as well embrace that and make a paver Pyra?

ClockworkCoder likes this.
  13. Haraldur

Haraldur Very Active Member

Stone effect + black|charcoal grey = basalt? That may be nice. I suppose the new Pyra will look "used".
    [​IMG]

14. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Next you guys gonna say stone-washed denim, granpa's old leather jacket or ratrod. ;)

azouls and levi like this.
  15. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yes, the issue of light leaking is the main reason we can't have transparent keyboard sections; the LEDs between the keys designed to emit a warm glow to each of the keys would instead beam straight out at you and overwhelm any light coming through the keys; bright but non-backlit keyboard all of a sudden.

I can imagine carefully crafted tinfoil inserted between the white paint and the back of the button holes might be an acceptable solution. I'd have to check what traces are around there though; you really don't want a short through tinfoil if you can avoid it.

Edit: Actually, thinking it through hopefully a little clearer, you wouldn't see the LEDs and they wouldn't be beaming out at you in spite of the clear case, because they keymat will be in the way. I guess light leaking from the edges is still a problem though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  16. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Not a bad idea, but something non-conductive would be better there. Something thin, optically reflective or white on one side yet opaque and non-conductive. Hmm... Tyvek?

Silent-Hunter and levi like this.
  17. SneHebNor

SneHebNor Member

I still like the completely transparent case best. The older among us remember гла́сность.

18. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Glasnost? I don't geddit.

19. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

The stone pyra looks fantastic! But wish you could tone down the glitter just a little bit. I'm getting really excited for the Pyra seeing that case. Hoping it will come out this year |-)

Silent-Hunter likes this.
  20. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

If the lines are only aesthetic, I think adding fibres so that there is more going on would "solve" the problem.

Edit: Liking the marbled look. Good hack.

Edit2: How about rounding the edges for the screen cable.

) cable ( instead of | cable |

as it bends, it would catch on the 90 degree edge of the slit, ever so slightly, but friction can be reduced?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019