Yay some news!

matzesu

Hardcore Member
Staff member
I heard that even the Keyboard of the Macbook Pro isnt that perfekt, (and the New Macbooks ditnt even have a enlightet Lid Symbol unlike the Pyra) ..
Some of them fell out, so as long the Pyra Keyboard is better than the Macbook Keyboard, everything is fine..
And some of the Keys of my Pandora also fell out from time to time, but after a reebot they work..

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Nice one. The PinePhone will be upgradable via pogo pins. You can "reimagine" a new case and use those pins for extension, so I can do a new case/extension with keyboard and gaming controls.

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Nice one. The PinePhone will be upgradable via pogo pins. You can "reimagine" a new case and use those pins for extension, so I can do a new case/extension with keyboard and gaming controls.
If you were saying - between the lines - that it'd be nice to have that in the Pyra, I'd second that, but is there anything placed on the board already, which could act as an I2C server/peer (which is the right term?). And even if, new traces and the pin array needed to be placed. I guess it be an major effort at this stage. 'd be cool, though.

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
which could act as an I2C server/peer
I have memory of there intending to be a GPIO in the lid. Assuming I'm remembering that right, combined with one of the RGB PWM as a clock source, you've got the makings of an I2C port, if there's interest in a hardware hack.
I can't find anything that actually states there's a GPIO, however, so I may be confusing myself with the two RGB LEDs which are almost certainly output only.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I guess they must have a GPIO if they're saying they can make I2C out of it, or possibly something even less generic. It seems odd to me if they've got a PWM designed for an LED which they could repurpose as a SCL and a GPIO they could use as a SDA, they don't just say they've got a GPIO and a clock you could derive if you dispose of an RGB LED. I2C is a common protocol, but if you're designing from scratch, I don't see what that gives you over the alternative.

NetBLOKS

Finally on-board
Website
www.netbloks.de
They are also using GPIO for the second SD card slot, so it's definitely there.
I think, I read somewhere that the GPIO pins are exposed on the board.

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
If you were saying - between the lines - that it'd be nice to have that in the Pyra, I'd second that, but is there anything placed on the board already, which could act as an I2C server/peer (which is the right term?). And even if, new traces and the pin array needed to be placed. I guess it be an major effort at this stage. 'd be cool, though.
Au contraire, I mean that with that phone there is no need of Pyra.

Robert Taylor

Au contraire, I mean that with that phone there is no need of Pyra.
By the same reasoning there is no need for the pinephone because you can do the same right now with android. Just build a bluetooth based case for your your android with whatever keyboard and controllers you want. You can make it a clamshell or blackberry style or whatever. I was looking for one for my dual screen axon-m but none exist because dudes just blow hot air on forums and never put their money where their mouth is.

When the Pandora came out there was nothing even close out there. Now with the pyra there is still nothing close except blowhards posting nonsense. In two years time there will still be nothing like the Pyra, I will bet on it.

There is room for everyone. You are right though that, hopefully, the future is modular.

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Is necessary to say "it is my point of view" everytime someone post an CLEARLY SUBJETIVE opinion here in this forums?

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Is necessary to say "it is my point of view" everytime someone post an CLEARLY SUBJETIVE opinion here in this forums?
It isn't subjective though. You stated there was no need for the Pyra and gave your reasoning. Your reasoning is heavily flawed. Even if you had prefaced it with "in my opinion", the reasoning upon which you built that opinion is broken. Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be wrong, nor does it mean it can't be questioned.

Robert Taylor

Correct. I was a bit harsh, I apologize for that. Nicely put though.

People will buy what they want and use what they want. At the end of the day ED is a bit like Steve Jobs here. Steve Jobs wasn't an engineer or sales man. He was a product person. He could clearly visualize a tool that a specific group of users needed and had it built and polished and delivered in a shiny package to them (He did this over and over again in his career). ED is kind of like that on this project. ED clearly sees that there are a bunch of us that want this form factor with all of these features and he is bringing the product to us completed and ready to use.

I won't have to 3d print anything my self, I won't have to know anything about electronics, I won't have to struggle to learn yet another bullshit esoteric programming language just to get it to do stuff or deal with the hyper customization (see Librem 5) to customize it to what I want it to do.

I have a few Pyras on order + a Librem 5. I will buy the Pyraphone if it becomes a thing just by default. It's the right kind of re-mix and the right kind plug and play platform.

I think that critical differentiator for me is whether or not the lcd is mounted on the main pcb or not as part of the core design. If it is mounted on the pcb then it has the same limitations as Librem 5, Pyraphone, Pinephone or anything in that format: it is going to need a touch interface, it is going to need to be dumbed down, the battery size will be limited, the amount of peripherals will be limited because of the form factor and so forth.

Having the cpu as an addon, it can either sit on the lcd pcb or the keyboard pcb which allows for all sorts of form factors. I my self would like to remix the keyboard one day my self so being able to reprint the one pcb + one plastic part of the case is really interesting because everything else is re-usable. Another option (one day) might be to build a new case and make the lcd REMOVABLE. The reason that I say removable is because if i could hot swap in an lcd set in this form factor:

Axon-M:

... then I can take the Pyra into LUDICROUS MODE! I know someone mocked up a dual screen capable Pyral in another thread. The Axon-M form factor is a field proven approach to foldable dual screens. I can't imagine remixing the Librem 5 or the Pinephone into such ridiculousness because they are not modular enough.

So yeah. There is room for the Pinephone and all of the other projects.

Last edited:

docbroke

I don't like both screens always exposed outside while storing. This makes it very scratch prone. They should have made 360 degree rotating hinge ( probably difficult with small form factor) so that both screens can be protected during storage.

This gives me another idea, two smartphones connected wirelessly so that their display's work together. They can be placed in specially designed case without needing hinge, and if needed they can be used as two different phones.

Last edited:

Robert Taylor

All true. Great points and ideas. The one comment I can make is that once you go dual screen it is hard to go back to a regular screen. Android sucks in all sorts of ways, especially the onscreen keyboards. Dual screen makes browsing and interacting with forms and things like that bearable.

I had your idea about getting two androids to span the desktop over bluetooth as well and mount them in a 3d printed case or something as well. The Axon-m style bifold (in the right size and proportion screen) would actually work well on the Pyra. Close the clamshell and you have one screen on the outside. Open the clamshell and you can either use one or flip the screen mechanism

Can't wait for the Pyra with a proper keyboard though. Yeah, nothing in the Debian repos is mobile ready, but we will see what happens. Maybe I can write a small script to bind randr to shortcuts for various resolutions and orientations or something without having the ability to zoom in. Writing scaling / zoom capability for my window manager won't be possible until we see if 3d acceleration is possible.