Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Quite a lot of questions, so let's start :D

So as far as I understand, once cases, keymats and some cooling parts are finalized Pyra will be ready for mass production ?

Basically, yes.

Ain't vacuum chambers solving issues like that?

I'm not sure that does work and how the glue behaves properly in there.

Glad you are better, and you seem to go back to old habits quite quickly, with a post at 5:00AM :O !

Of course :D What did you expect?

I had this Flu too..it took this Year up to 3 Weeks to Recover.
Normaly i do have a good Immune System but this Year it was realy resistent.

Seriously! I've never been ill for more than two days in series within the last ten years!
That was quite unexpected!

I presume this isn't likely to be caught tightly between the PCB and the case enough to cause any problem?

No, you can see it in this picture:

Wrap.jpg

Inside the red circle you can see the area where the flex cable is. We've left some space there, and additionally the PCB sits on the rubber feet.

Everything else looks good. I don't envy you having to replace those resistors. Almost need a microscope to see them!

Luckily, I've got VERY good eyes :) Don't even need a lens for that :D

Does that mean its possible to pop of the caps and use small inlays to change the keyboard-layout?

Hmm, yes, in theory that would be possible. However, the backlight would not work properly for those inlays.
But if you don't care about that, it's certainly possible.

If the resistor get changed to increase the charging current to >1,5A, is it possible to reduce the charging-current to reduce the battery wear with software?

Well, the battery charging chip is pretty smart.
First, it uses the power it can get from the input and uses this to power the system.

If the battery needs to be charged, it uses any additional power left to charge the battery.
If the system needs more power than the power input can provide, it uses the battery to get the rest of the needed power.

If no battery is inserted, it will simply crash if the input power is not enough ;)

All this can be configured via software as well, so you could, for example, keep the battery in there and disable charging it completely.

But as long as the input power is enough, the battery will not be used in any way :)

Hi, I've written to you earlier via contact, My name is Hans Alin, and I will come to Ingolstat the second week of April, is there any possibility for me to buy a Pyra of you then, I ordered a Pandora by Craig for ten years ago, without getting it, but I still want a Pyra, but I want to get it out of your hand and I pay cash.

You are very welcome to visit here and try out the Pyra, but I'm afraid I won't have finished units ready to be bought by then.

I'm interested in how they're planning to affix the caps without using any glue at all. Maybe they're already a close enough fit that contact fit is good enough, or maybe they're going to modify the caps to have a small lip.

They are tight fitting, so you should need force to pull them off. Additionally, they will get a small lip around them which means they cannot be pulled out when they're inside the case. Similar to how they do it with DPads and buttons :)

So yes, not using glue is an improvement :D

I think once the keymat is in place glue is probably not needed. But fitting keymat with loose caps would be nightmare.

Yes, that's why they're not totally loose. They won't fall off the keymat itself, only if you pull them.

What is changed/tweaked in case design ?

Well, they mostly did improve the mold flow a bit already and have worked on the 3D design to fix the shoulder buttons.
But this now needs to be tested and fully tweaked.
AAAnd I updated the first post with the next step :)

So case will take some more time. But I am sure it will be worth the wait :)
The pyra logo looks cool. I think I will choose the transparent case if it is available in the final version, it looks geeky.

Yes, we already knew the new case company would be reworking the design to improve flow and adding the posts at least, which was always planned to take some time; we just never knew exactly how much.

I'd guess they're still not producing mass production cases yet, otherwise ED would have said, unless he'd not had time to catch up on his emails yet (which is always possible, as we know I guess).

Thanks for the latest update, @EvilDragon. I assume the bit you say will be milky-white in mass production is a plastic part which fits on top of the metal and fills the gaps in it, making the lid a little more water-tight. I couldn't really see that part in the photos.

Ah, I was thinking it filled the holes but perhaps it just fills the entire oval hole in the lid. A non-transparent one shouldn't show those moulding marks as well.

@EvilDragon
You said, basically, when everything comes together, its time for Massproduktion, so this means, the Prototyphs, you currently assemple whill also be used to make the last tests??
(German) : "Eins hab ich nie verstanden: sind jetzt die Platinen für die Massenproduktion schon geordert, und wenn du das OK für den Start gibts, werden die nur noch bei GC mit dem ganzen Elektronischen Kleinkram bestückt ??,

I know its not that far anymore, but i think the last few months of waitingtime will be the though

I assume the bit you say will be milky-white in mass production is a plastic part which fits on top of the metal and fills the gaps in it, making the lid a little more water-tight. I couldn't really see that part in the photos.

It is there in last three photos. You can compare 4th image from last ( without plastic part ) with 3rd image from last (with plastic part).

First: my condolences, ED. Sorry about your loss.

And thanks for the updates!

@EvilDragon
You said, basically, when everything comes together, its time for Massproduktion, so this means, the Prototyphs, you currently assemple whill also be used to make the last tests??

Yep, those are used for the last tests.

(German) : "Eins hab ich nie verstanden: sind jetzt die Platinen für die Massenproduktion schon geordert, und wenn du das OK für den Start gibts, werden die nur noch bei GC mit dem ganzen Elektronischen Kleinkram bestückt ??,

Die Bauteile liegen schon bei GC bereit, die Platinen an sich muss ich noch bestellen. Diese haben eine Lieferzeit von 6 Wochen, ist also überschaubar. Und auch wenn wir bisher keine Fehler mehr gefunden haben - ich möchte zumindest, dass die Prototypen von anderen Leuten noch getestet werden, bevor ich bestelle und dann ist doch noch was.
[doublepost=1552522219,1552521915][/doublepost]Sadly, I couldn't continue to assemble them today - because I had something else to finish:
The design for the copper heat-pipe. I realized when I thought what I still need to assemble the prototypes that I didn't yet send the design to Fatih for mass production. So I finished and rechecked it and sent it to him.

In case you're interested: This is what the final design looks like:

Heatpipe-Back-AdhesiveCopper.jpg Heatpipe-BlackSide.jpg Heatpipe-CopperSide.jpg Heatpipe-Front.jpg

Attached is also the DWG (in mm), in case you want to take a look at it.

As I went to bed at 6:10am (and up again at 10am), I'm going to bed now - and will hopefully continue the assembly tomorrow night :)

Attachments

• Heatpipe - Unit mm.zip
    39.1 KB · Views: 295
In case you're interested: This is what the final design looks like:
Wow, no wonder this takes time. A little bit complex in shape. XD "Keep it simple" didn't work I guess? And will the surface be plain flat or has a structure for more heat disposal?
Overall, I think the Pyra is a little bit over-enginered, with to many custom solutions and non-standard elements that took the development in infinitum. Let's see where this will lead. I'm in hope for future units with more streamlined solutions for a faster and especialy cheaper production.

This one on the left...
heatpipe-back-adhesivecopper-jpg.32365

Can anyone else visualize that as a fire breathing dragon with a long tail sitting up on his haunches facing left...?

My first thought was "why does that look like a disfigured certain-symbol?"

I have a twisted mind... or maybe it just untwisted a certain twisted symbol? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Isn't it illegal to mention those in Germany? I'd be careful on a German hosted forum. Or am I mistaken?

Although I don't think, it looks like s swastika, I wouldn't know what else you could be talking about. It's not illegal to mention those. How else could you discuss them?

Back