Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 11, 2019.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Quite a lot of questions, so let's start :D

Basically, yes.

I'm not sure that does work and how the glue behaves properly in there.

Of course :D What did you expect?

Seriously! I've never been ill for more than two days in series within the last ten years!
    That was quite unexpected!

No, you can see it in this picture:

Wrap.jpg

Inside the red circle you can see the area where the flex cable is. We've left some space there, and additionally the PCB sits on the rubber feet.

Luckily, I've got VERY good eyes :) Don't even need a lens for that :D

Hmm, yes, in theory that would be possible. However, the backlight would not work properly for those inlays.
    But if you don't care about that, it's certainly possible.

Well, the battery charging chip is pretty smart.
    First, it uses the power it can get from the input and uses this to power the system.

If the battery needs to be charged, it uses any additional power left to charge the battery.
    If the system needs more power than the power input can provide, it uses the battery to get the rest of the needed power.

If no battery is inserted, it will simply crash if the input power is not enough ;)

All this can be configured via software as well, so you could, for example, keep the battery in there and disable charging it completely.

But as long as the input power is enough, the battery will not be used in any way :)

You are very welcome to visit here and try out the Pyra, but I'm afraid I won't have finished units ready to be bought by then.

They are tight fitting, so you should need force to pull them off. Additionally, they will get a small lip around them which means they cannot be pulled out when they're inside the case. Similar to how they do it with DPads and buttons :)

So yes, not using glue is an improvement :D

Yes, that's why they're not totally loose. They won't fall off the keymat itself, only if you pull them.

Well, they mostly did improve the mold flow a bit already and have worked on the 3D design to fix the shoulder buttons.
    But this now needs to be tested and fully tweaked.
    AAAnd I updated the first post with the next step :)

2. docbroke

docbroke Still Fresh

So case will take some more time. But I am sure it will be worth the wait :)
    The pyra logo looks cool. I think I will choose the transparent case if it is available in the final version, it looks geeky.

3. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yes, we already knew the new case company would be reworking the design to improve flow and adding the posts at least, which was always planned to take some time; we just never knew exactly how much.

I'd guess they're still not producing mass production cases yet, otherwise ED would have said, unless he'd not had time to catch up on his emails yet (which is always possible, as we know I guess).

Thanks for the latest update, @EvilDragon. I assume the bit you say will be milky-white in mass production is a plastic part which fits on top of the metal and fills the gaps in it, making the lid a little more water-tight. I couldn't really see that part in the photos.

4. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Member

@levi you can see it here (a bit hard to see, as this version seems to be transparent/clear)
    But if I understand it correctly, it is not glued on top, but from the inside.

levi likes this.
  5. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Ah, I was thinking it filled the holes but perhaps it just fills the entire oval hole in the lid. A non-transparent one shouldn't show those moulding marks as well.

6. Bosbeetle

Bosbeetle Terminally lost

;) no watching glue dry movie.... :(:D

FBnil and Djoga'Ro like this.
  7. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

@EvilDragon
    You said, basically, when everything comes together, its time for Massproduktion, so this means, the Prototyphs, you currently assemple whill also be used to make the last tests??
    (German) : "Eins hab ich nie verstanden: sind jetzt die Platinen für die Massenproduktion schon geordert, und wenn du das OK für den Start gibts, werden die nur noch bei GC mit dem ganzen Elektronischen Kleinkram bestückt ??,

I know its not that far anymore, but i think the last few months of waitingtime will be the though

8. docbroke

docbroke Still Fresh

It is there in last three photos. You can compare 4th image from last ( without plastic part ) with 3rd image from last (with plastic part).

9. drohan

drohan Supporter

First: my condolences, ED. Sorry about your loss.

And thanks for the updates!

10. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yep, those are used for the last tests.

Die Bauteile liegen schon bei GC bereit, die Platinen an sich muss ich noch bestellen. Diese haben eine Lieferzeit von 6 Wochen, ist also überschaubar. Und auch wenn wir bisher keine Fehler mehr gefunden haben - ich möchte zumindest, dass die Prototypen von anderen Leuten noch getestet werden, bevor ich bestelle und dann ist doch noch was.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 14, 2019, Original Post Date: Mar 14, 2019 ---
    Sadly, I couldn't continue to assemble them today - because I had something else to finish:
    The design for the copper heat-pipe. I realized when I thought what I still need to assemble the prototypes that I didn't yet send the design to Fatih for mass production. So I finished and rechecked it and sent it to him.

In case you're interested: This is what the final design looks like:

Heatpipe-Back-AdhesiveCopper.jpg Heatpipe-BlackSide.jpg Heatpipe-CopperSide.jpg Heatpipe-Front.jpg

Attached is also the DWG (in mm), in case you want to take a look at it.

As I went to bed at 6:10am (and up again at 10am), I'm going to bed now - and will hopefully continue the assembly tomorrow night :)

Attached Files:

Tenka, pierro78, directive0 and 7 others like this.
  11. Nintendo

Nintendo Nintendo Switch

Awesome designs!

Less than 4 hours sleep (normal for ED)...not so awesome :(

12. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Wow, no wonder this takes time. A little bit complex in shape. XD "Keep it simple" didn't work I guess? And will the surface be plain flat or has a structure for more heat disposal?
    Overall, I think the Pyra is a little bit over-enginered, with to many custom solutions and non-standard elements that took the development in infinitum. Let's see where this will lead. I'm in hope for future units with more streamlined solutions for a faster and especialy cheaper production.

13. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

This one on the left...
    [​IMG]

Can anyone else visualize that as a fire breathing dragon with a long tail sitting up on his haunches facing left...?

Tenka, erico, FBnil and 10 others like this.
  14. docbroke

docbroke Still Fresh

Heat pipe is done, that's great news. One thing cut-off from to-do list.

15. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

If it was a dragon in a Intelevison game then yes

Creature XL, FBnil, ckblackm and 3 others like this.
  16. ò.Ó

ò.Ó Member

My first thought was "why does that look like a disfigured certain-symbol?"

I have a twisted mind... or maybe it just untwisted a certain twisted symbol? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  17. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Isn't it illegal to mention those in Germany? I'd be careful on a German hosted forum. Or am I mistaken?

18. ò.Ó

ò.Ó Member

I have edited my post to be more vague xD

19. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Oh I just wasn't sure! I don't know anything about German laws. But better safe than sorry I suppose.

ò.Ó likes this.
  20. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Although I don't think, it looks like s swastika, I wouldn't know what else you could be talking about. It's not illegal to mention those. How else could you discuss them?