Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

I have gone through that very same dilemma three times over. Since then I have bought:
    Samsung's Galaxy Note 3
    Planet Computers Gemini
    LG V35 ThinQ
    And I have a pre-order in on a Planet Computers Cosmo.

In the meantime, I have switched mobile carriers twice. At some point I rather gave up on the Pyra being my 'next primary phone', though I am still looking forward to it being my data connected mobile gaming/recreation device.

directive0 likes this.
  2. CrystalGamma

CrystalGamma Member

I have been in this situation for about a year now …
    Personally I think if the Pyra doesn't come out this year it'll never come out because money for development will run out (though I have no special insight into the project's financials – I'm just infering from ED's statements here), so I personally hope for sometime in Q3.

3. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Pre-orderers have already paid a good chunk of the money already, favorable amount of sales from ED's shop Dragonbox.de has also helped keep the project alive too.

rSl, levi and Silent-Hunter like this.
  4. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

:) It`s pretty much the same for me:
    Note3 -> Note Edge -> Gemini PDA -> Cosmo Communicator
    But still I am very exited for a real Linux mobile desktop system for my daily administrational needs.
    And since a second SIM card on the same contract is nearly free, I will use the LTE modem on the Pyra too when I am on the go.
    The Gemini gets more and more unstable, software and hardware wise, so if the Pyra will get the desired phone funktion, even rudementary, it will be a great backup as a "primary" phone.

rSl likes this.
  5. CrystalGamma

CrystalGamma Member

Of course they have (I'm one of them – number 140-something IIRC) … I'm just worried how long that money is going to last, if development is to drag on a lot longer …
    Not to speak of the fact that the Pyra has not only a now-old SoC (hopefully an upgrade becomes available a year or so after release, hopefully with a more open-source friendly SoC like the sunxi series or the RK3288/3399 – RK3588 might be good if it gets similar support as 3399) but also to some extent "outdated" connectors (one could argue that the market is moving towards USB-C over microUSB3-A for example).

6. TrashyMG

There isn't much Development left to pay for, PCBs are essentially finalized, some tweaks to cases that it. from what I understand all the components to populate the PCB are ordered already. It just needs ED to give the green light. Software development is essentially all volunteer work done by people here.

I suppose Allwinner and RockChip are more open, but they like to violate GPL at any given chance.

Link and rSl like this.
  7. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

While I waited, I bought this IPhone XR,
    I know Apple is worse than Hitler, but at least it can’t lost its Android License..
    Also i need something to make Pictures of my Pyra

My big Plan for the Pyra wasn’t to use it as my Phone, more like my Main PC

It’s Number 28 EU Celluar 4GB (the best or nothing (like the Slogan from Mercedes))

ObiKKa and rSl like this.
  8. CrystalGamma

CrystalGamma Member

Sure Allwinner the company is not very nice (hence why I said "sunxi chips", not "Allwinner SoCs"). But I wasn't aware RockChip violated the GPL regularly … do you have any links for that? (searching "rockchip gpl violation" on DuckDuckGo mainly brings up Allwinner for me …)

9. TrashyMG

I remember some article on it, on a google search "Rockchip GPL violation" a few pages do come up, but not the specifics I saw in that article.

Link likes this.
  10. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

If the choice were between something like a Pixel Android phone and a similarly priced (maybe second hand) iPhone, the Apple device would be my selection too. At least I know how Apple are making a profit (although less than they used to) while Google now want almost the same money for something that will spy on you. Apple's past crimes pale into insignificance against google's these days.

Personally I bought a Nokia (not Nokia) new 8110 4G, and now I read that it's been rooted and I can reflash it with something more open, and install open street map rather than having to turn on data to use google's services, but I've not yet found the time or the guts to go through with it.

11. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

If the switch gets squeezed too tightly or bumped hard, does it 'bottom out' on the case plastics or all on the switch component on the circuit board?

I ask because I have this likely silly idea - replace the activator peg with a 2nd somewhat stiffer spring?

azouls likes this.
  12. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The case plastic include stops for all of the buttons, ISTR.

azouls and Grench like this.
  13. Bokkertoff

Bokkertoff Member

Don't hold your breath...

14. azouls

azouls Member

Good morning all
    Have a beautiful week.The samples from 3D printing arrived last week. We had tested both Buttons,Metal spring and plastic. Both are working Fine. We will move forward with metal spring cause i found the correct Spring for the top buttons that gives nice and smooth movement. Right now we will move forward Recreating the mold for the buttons . Also this month i am waiting a special PC with V0 as raw matterial.It seems this month i will manage to create some Complete Samples to ED and hopefully move forward with production .In the pictures you will see Both buttons (metal and plastic Spring) .The metal spring you see (Just the spring,not the Button) now is deferend from what i had ordered today cause i found better ones for the movement

Attached Files:

ObiKKa, bzar, rSl and 14 others like this.
  15. Neelix

Neelix Insecticidal Maniac

Thanks for the update azouls. Looking good.
    How does it feel to switch between the upper and lower buttons and is it comfortable to press both at once if need be? It's hard to get a sense for that from the images.

-Neelix

azouls likes this.
  16. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

Thank azouls, you are doing great work.

I am interested in these questions too. Both of these buttons look too close to each other. Do they interfere with each others movement ? I mean is there any friction, especially when rapidly pressing one after another multiple times ?

azouls likes this.
  17. azouls

azouls Member

Well its completly new of what allready was.Pyra aint a gamepad Though.I can easy say that you can press both buttons at once .The feeling,movement and touch is a lot better.First game i wanna try out in Pyra is Hollow knight and if you know that game is kinda hardcore so i bet you will not have problems any more.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 10, 2019, Original Post Date: Jun 10, 2019 ---
    There are close to each other but there is not interference bettwen them.There is no chance of grabing eachother incase you rapidly pressing.Priority of fixing them it was not holding each other incase Rapid pressing.Distances bettween the buttons had been change and fixed.Just in case you compere Pyra with a Gamepad though .Pyra aint a gamepad.In Gamepads there is lots of space to give deferend Angle for buttons ,thats why there is big space and Big buttons between them.Also most of gamepads are using Silicone Spring something it couldnt be done in Pyra but we manage to get the same effect with metal springs :) .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    CommanderB, rSl, Neelix and 4 others like this.
  18. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Well, the Pyra is no x86 system, it is ARM based, so I doubt Hollow Knight will work unless someone gets the permission to port it :/

azouls likes this.
  19. azouls

azouls Member

GG

20. TrashyMG

Well there are a few methods of x86 emulation available like qemu, Exagear and the new project ptitseb is working on that allows with varying degrees of success to play x86 linux software.

ClockworkCoder likes this.