Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 11, 2019.

1. rSl

rSl i'm not tired. you're tired.

2. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Would the other button benefit from an inbuilt spring as well? It would need to be different, but a tongue leading back from it to lever back against the case back edge might be possible?

azouls likes this.
  3. docbroke

docbroke Active Member

It may be possible but that will need redesign and creation of new moulds for other button too. That will add to the cost without giving additional advantages.

4. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Well, I'm fine with whatever works. :)
    I'm not sure about a plastic "spring", these buttons should be as durable and sturdy as possible. Also, could make the molds more complex but I guess you know whats possible and whats not. I would still feel better with an metal (leaf)spring if a spring is really needed.

5. azouls

azouls Member

The bottom buttons had been allready modified with springs.ED had mantion it allready in a video.For the top buttons though were a huge problem cause were no space to modified metal springs.So here we are with the plastic Spring :)

GizmoAgent and rSl like this.
  6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow Member

Plastic springs are used in the industry in heavy machinery and also as shock absorbers, so I don't see why it should not work on smaller scale per se. If it works for the specific usecase needs to be tested, but that is what @azouls is planning to do anyways. So I won't distrust plastic spring per se. Of course it needs to be tested, especially as the shape is unusual (polyurethane springs usually seem to be tube-shaped). So let's just wait and see how the test will turn out.

azouls likes this.
  7. azouls

azouls Member

Probably will be made from ACETAL and not from polyurethane.i will do both to check it out but i believe Acetal will be the one that will do better job for spring

8. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Now, I don't actually know how well this will work, but from my recollection the original design has horizontal crests and troughs on one button (perhaps the bottom one; I'd have to check) and vertical ones on the other. The idea being, that when you place your fingers on the buttons you could feel which one you were on without having to spin the unit round to check. Other similar ideas are spots and stripes. Maybe having a lip on the hinged edge like in your prototype picture might be enough to home your fingers, but given the unusual shape of them, perhaps being able to feel the divide between them might be a useful feature as well. Some kind of mockup is probably required to test this.

azouls likes this.
  9. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

Clever spring design

azouls likes this.
  10. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

Hope the spring will be ready before summer.

FBnil, Neelix, azouls and 2 others like this.
  11. rSl

rSl i'm not tired. you're tired.

damn' global warming! xD

12. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

So all four shoulders will have springs? That should make for great feel/feedback!

azouls likes this.
  13. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

And that is a dangerous thing! Imagine dropping the Pyra, it lands on the buttons, and it springs back, lands on your chin... baam.. knocked out by your own Pyra!
    I will test out my pogo-pyra-stick idea once I get my unit.

14. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Hardcore Member

BIEM!

tarator likes this.
  15. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

I guess we have a confirmed release time for the Pyra now.

Spring!

:p

Linux-SWAT and azouls like this.
  16. azouls

azouls Member

Good Morning all.We found a way to use Metal spring for the Top Buttons too.Today i had sended Both Datas to create new 3D Printing samples.Also had fixed the Data of the Plastic spring button.The Button with the metal Spring will be modifed in the Mold that we allready having.The button with the plastic spring Mold needs to be created from the start (free of charge) .Both ways are correct and we will choose the best one.As soon as i have the samples i will create a video for ED and move forward PS: This information had been sended to ED just now as i type here on the same time

Attached Files:

17. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

I see, the plastic spring got thinner. Before, I was wondering, if the wall of the case, against which the thick plastic spring would push, could stand the pressure. :)
    Do the different shades of green represent different plastics - or is it just random?

azouls likes this.
  18. azouls

azouls Member

Nothing Spectacular about the color in the Data but yeah there are two deferend Buttons . The ButtonMetalSpring picture has a metal spring placement .The ButtonPlasticSpring picture has the plastic Spring modified on the button.

19. zoranc

zoranc Member

Thanks a lot for your updates! I am very happy to see that the biggest current issue with Pyra is moving forward very nicely!

Swordfish II and azouls like this.
  20. Bernd

Bernd Very Active Member

I hope its spring 2020 or earlier,
    My mobile phone is slowly dying on me.
    The charging connector has contact problems after 17 years, so I have to take out & charge the battery external once a week.

It would be sad when I would have to buy a new phone that short before the Pyra gets released.