Release Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Bah. I spent too soon. Just for the education, I am downloading it and will merge it with the files from the CD to see if it works and report. Thanks for the help.

So what about all the Doom engine Ports?... Doom II has a Wolfenstien level. Will those need to be pulled too?

As for the Violence Laws, A good majority of the games would have to be pulled according to you Foxblock.
I am not aware of any other games that fall subject to the laws I linked, feel free to correct me on that with some examples.

Edit: Quake 2 and 3 might actually, somebody more knowledgable should look into this

To be clear, these laws do not apply to every 18+ game, only to a few very "extreme" examples, which have been deemed "harmful to the development of the personality of minors" by the "Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons" (yes, we actually have something like that...).

As dgame has stated, Doom was removed from said list a few years back and the German version of Doom2 was never put on it (there is no Wolfenstein level in that version).

As I have stated before, I am no expert in this field, nor do I support these laws (most of them are kinda ridiculous, I think), I am just trying to prevent any damage to ED (following a report on the repo).

So until an expert has looked at this, I think we should stop wasting each others time discussing matters we don't know enough about.

If any other repo mods or the maintainer think my actions are unwarranted or I am overreacting, they are free to re-enable the apps in question, I don't really care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still it's illegal in Germany to distribute the game to minors or even "advertise" it (which in a retail game shop means it's not even allowed to have the game lying around publically, adults have to come and specifically ask for it) - a public entry on the repo could be seen as such "advertisement". Does it also apply to the binaries? Would the repo need some kind of age verification to comply with this law?
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein

Wikipedia mentions it. We are just hosting the engine of the game. Not the game itself. Rename it to rtcw_engine and say it just the modified quake3 engine which was used in the game. This is what wikipedia does. If someone want to play the game, he or she has to go the shop and buy one copy. End of discussion.

Next step would be to host the server in an other country. Maybe France, Netherland or something.

http://www.leaseweb.com/de/dedizierte-server/single-processor-servers

29€ per month, netherlands, maybe owned by someone outside germany. Problem solved^^

I must be missing something.  The game works great, but it will not allow me to enable cheats.  I added the following line to wolfconfig.cfg:

seta sv_cheats "1"

Started the game and tried to use some of the cheats but it gives me the following response:

Cheats are not enabled on this server.

Tried /sv_cheats 1

Responds with "sv_cheats is read only".

I checked wolfconfig.cfg - sv_cheats is now set back to 0.  So there is no way to enable cheats for this game?

Yep, cheating is bad, it kills the game. But, if you already completed it a few times, there is nothing wrong ;)

The file is named wolfconfig.cfg and is located in an hidden folder: appdata/rtcw/home/.wolf/main 

The variable is not created, you have to add a new line.

I must be missing something.  The game works great, but it will not allow me to enable cheats.  I added the following line to wolfconfig.cfg:

seta sv_cheats "1"

Started the game and tried to use some of the cheats but it gives me the following response:

Cheats are not enabled on this server.

Tried /sv_cheats 1

Responds with "sv_cheats is read only".

I checked wolfconfig.cfg - sv_cheats is now set back to 0.  So there is no way to enable cheats for this game?

Yep, cheating is bad, it kills the game. But, if you already completed it a few times, there is nothing wrong ;)

The file is named wolfconfig.cfg and is located in an hidden folder: appdata/rtcw/home/.wolf/main 

The variable is not created, you have to add a new line.
Well, looking a bit around, it seems that the "+ set sv_cheats 1" is to be setup on command line... Or you have to load a saved game. Internet is quite confusing. Anyway, there are many thread but I don't know what works. I know rtcw.arm check that variable to alow Cheating, not sure how this variable is populated (to tired to check tonight).

Any news on the repo situation?

For the Demo, I think the simplest is that I delete curent version and upload a new one without any Data, like for the full the Game (it's a different executable, demo datas won't work with full PND).

Yes, I know patience is not my strong point.

In the mean time, I update to build 02 (see 1st post for What's New).

For the Demo version, I have removed the Data files, and I also remove Build 01 completly from the repo.

I hope this helps to solve this.

I checked something like that with german authorities back at the GP2X days...

Basically, we CAN offer the binary only files, however, NOTHING of the game should be seen on the repo.

So no screenshots for this PND, please.

Binary Only PND (which obviously states there are no data files included) without screenshots is fine.

Ok, no problem, I remove the Screenshots from the PND. That will be an updated build 02, and I delete older Builds once uploaded.

Thanks. We also need to remove the older builds from the archived page, but I'll take care of that.

Ok, I've updated both PND, and remove all archived build too.

Do I have to de the same (no data, no screenshot) for Enemy Territory too?

Ok, I've updated both PND, and remove all archived build too.

Do I have to de the same (no data, no screenshot) for Enemy Territory too?
Yes please.

@EvilDragon, who will be re-enabling the apps? @ptitSeb or yourself?
If he can do that, he's welcome to do so :)
Ok, done. I've re-enabled both cleaned PND.

For ET, ok. I'll remove the screenshot too, and put no W:ET data inside. It's in closed beta for now...

@ptitSeb many thanks for yet another great porting job!

@foxblock thank you for ensuring ED doesn't end up in trouble; regardless of my views on the German law concerning this, I 100% agree with your actions. Better to play it safe rather than sorry.

@ptitSeb many thanks for yet another great porting job!

@foxblock thank you for ensuring ED doesn't end up in trouble; regardless of my views on the German law concerning this, I 100% agree with your actions. Better to play it safe rather than sorry.
@foxblock, yes great repo moderating :D

Back