[Rebirth Competition] Slackware for Pandora 13.37 release thread.

Voted for you, I hope to find the time to run your custom OS, but I will put it in an external HD (maybe one day I will buy a decent sd), thanks for your work

First of all: Great work, you are my winner.

I wasn't able to test your OS because my big lack of knowledge ;) with such stuff but it's definitly an impressive project.

Many of my voters didn't tested it :D .

Thanks guys.

Askarus, maybe you tried my first builds, but they were badly packaged so it's was impossible to make them work out-of-the-box.

Is it hard to make an installation assistent like PanDebian has?

A PND which downloads the required datas, extracts them and installs the OS.

A PND which asks you whether you want to format your SD or not.

I'm sure you know what I mean.

Did you also add dual boot option in one of your newer packages? You know, like Pandebian: a little icon which allows you to use Slackware.

An installation assistent yould be a great thing.

It's even a problem for me to handle the ext2 format with my Windows PC (don't hate me because of being non-Linux. My next PC will get it.)

I know, Pandora-downloading takes long but I have an ethernet to USB and it won't be slower than downloading on a non Pandoa device and copying it to SD then.

Doing all the installation on the Pandora would be great, but the SD is very slow.

I will think about it. Maybe from a USB drive to SD.

Something like:

-Download the rootfs on a USB drive (can be done directly on OP).

-Download the SL4P install .pnd

-Insert the USB drive into the OP.

-Insert the 8G SD in slot 2.

-Click on the icon.

The Pandebian icon is not a dual boot in the exact meaning.

Using Slackware inside Zaxxon ? Mmm. Have to look how Pandebian handles this, but it's not something i'll do soon.

Slackware inside Zaxxon.

I focus on the generation of a strong rootfs for now. And eventually a pnd who installs it.

You're great.

I won't regret giving you my vote.

The "dual boot" isn't that important. It was just an idea.

^^ thx.

Though of this "dual boot" when i first used Pandebian.

I wonder if i can install it under Slack.

I also wonder if i can install Zaxxon under Slack. Would be a neat trick.

-FIX:

A quick fix that should improve pnd compatibility. As root, type:

mkdir /mnt/pnd

maybe it'a stupid question,but does the dsp work ? does the same binary driver works with the slackware ?

A PND which downloads the required datas, extracts them and installs the OS.

A PND which asks you whether you want to format your SD or not.

I made a working one. I just have to fix one or two things regarding which SD card is formatted (i don't want to erase all user data on the wrong card ^^).

Also have to make clear explanations in menus.

Yay, this actually resembles the real Linux now. There are some questions though:

Bluetooth doesn't work. Is there any chance that I can fix it by ripping the kernel out of Super Zaxxon Beta 3 and sticking it into Slackware? Worked with the previous kernel and Gentoo for me.

Is there a package-maker's primer somewhere? I'd like to install some extra packages, and since I'll have to tinker with them anyway, I'd upload it to that repository of yours.

Yay, this actually resembles the real Linux now.
And what is a "real Linux" for you ? :)

Bluetooth doesn't work. Is there any chance that I can fix it by ripping the kernel out of Super Zaxxon Beta 3 and sticking it into Slackware? Worked with the previous kernel and Gentoo for me.
The 13.37 kernel is the copy of the Zaxxon.

The problem is elsewhere, i asked here and there but had no response yet.

Should be trivial to fix.

Is there a package-maker's primer somewhere? I'd like to install some extra packages, and since I'll have to tinker with them anyway, I'd upload it to that repository of yours.
All is in the wiki:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware

Check this:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware#Installing_a_program_from_source

Real Linux is an operating system where you can install and run without hesitation things like wget, diff, tail, less, mv, use Python as an advanced calculator and Perl for your stupid tasks like querying mpd (which runs fine, too) and where when you need a database you run sqlite command line client, not excel or access. Where / is path separator and \ is escape symbol. Where it feels like home, you see?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/K65PQiFfsrU?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back