[Rebirth Competition] Slackware for Pandora 13.37 release thread.

I have Slackware running on the SD card, my SD cards FAT32 partitions show up on the desktop but when I click on them they give me an error saying unable to mount.

I am able to mount one of the SD cards partitions as root, but not the partition on the same card as the slackware partition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the "up" thing to add the user to the additional groups but I am still unable to mount the second partition on the first SD card. It says I am unprivileged to mount it.

I am still unable to mount it even if I login as root.

The second partition on the first SD is supposed to be a swap (see the wiki), and already mounted.

What is your card's setup ?

Quick fix if you have a FAT32 or EXT2 as the second partition:

Be root using su .

Edit /etc/fstab and remove the line:

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p2    swap        swap    defaults			  0  0

Save and reboot.

Alright thanks, I'll give that a try.

The wiki says this though

It's highly recommended to have a second partition formated as a swap. 256M or more is a good choice.

I don't think "highly recommend" means "mandatory". :p

Indeed, those explanations are not perfect, will correct right now.

Thanks for having this problem :) .

And thanks for reporting :D .

The network manager won't let me connect to my WiFi network, it will show up on the list, if I click it will ask me for the root password, I give it that and then it will just say "network disconnected" if I click it again, then it will say "network disconnected" again.

I have no problem to connect open wifi. Never tested secure ones, but the network manager should handle that.

Is it internal wifi or dongle ?

Which SL4P-version-build are you using ?

I finally managed to get these to download by using a different Win7 laptop but I have fallen at the first hurdle :)

I like Gruso's review and hope to get things sorted out but it does indeed take hours to untar via Pandora. So I am hoping you can help me avoid redoing this.

The problem I'm getting, is the first step on the wiki of the first run :

"Be sure your Pandora's clock is set. Otherwise, your filesystem will be checked."

Which it is, in a constant reboot cycle.

I get the following paraphrased messages :

grep: /etc/hardwareclock: no such file or directory

testing root filesystem status : read only filesystem

SLACK contains a file system with errors

SLACK check % (it then checks to 100%)

SLACK : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY : RUN fsck MANUALLY

Error occured

Chance to log in in single user mode to fix the problem

If you are using the ext2 filesystem, running 'e2fsck -v -y (
partition) might help

ctrl-d to proceed with normal boot

(or give
root password for system maintenance)

I may well have to remake the SD card and re-untar the image (13.37-3) but if I can avoid doing so it would be great, timewise.

SO:

How do I make sure my Pandora's clock is set?

I have re-set the date and time via the menu on both the NAND (HF4) and SD card Install (SZ B2).

What is the default root password?

If I can make the root password work, can I then type 'terminal' and/or just type 'e2fsck -v -y (partition)' and expect it to perhaps fix the clock and read-only filesystem problem?

What partition should I use in that command 'e2fsck -v -y (mmcblk01p1) ? for example?

SD card setup is :

Adata 16gb Class 6

Ext2: 14.46gb

Swap: 516mb

I have no problem to connect open wifi. Never tested secure ones, but the network manager should handle that.

Is it internal wifi or dongle ?

Which SL4P-version-build are you using ?

SL4P-Current-4

Internal WiFi

WPA Personal (PSK) + AES

I finally managed to get these to download by using a different Win7 laptop but I have fallen at the first hurdle :)

I like Gruso's review and hope to get things sorted out but it does indeed take hours to untar via Pandora. So I am hoping you can help me avoid redoing this.

Glad you could make it.

Using a Linux Live-cd might help a lot to speed up things.

The problem I'm getting, is the first step on the wiki of the first run :

"Be sure your Pandora's clock is set. Otherwise, your filesystem will be checked."

Which it is, in a constant reboot cycle.

I get the following paraphrased messages :

grep: /etc/hardwareclock: no such file or directory

testing root filesystem status : read only filesystem

SLACK contains a file system with errors

SLACK check % (it then checks to 100%)

SLACK : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY : RUN fsck MANUALLY

Error occured

Chance to log in in single user mode to fix the problem

If you are using the ext2 filesystem, running 'e2fsck -v -y (
partition) might help

ctrl-d to proceed with normal boot

(or give
root password for system maintenance)

I may well have to remake the SD card and re-untar the image (13.37-3) but if I can avoid doing so it would be great, timewise.

Normally, in this case, you just have to wait and it should check the partition, then reboot on a clean one.

SO:

How do I make sure my Pandora's clock is set?

I just boot Zaxxon and set it up.

The "grep: /etc/hardwareclock: no such file or directory" message is harmless.

I have re-set the date and time via the menu on both the NAND (HF4) and SD card Install (SZ B2).

I do this on NAND, i never tried on another sd. I'm not sure it matters.

What is the default root password?

There is no default password, therefore you can't enter repair mode.

You're normally asked to enter it at the first boot (after the filesystem check).

If I can make the root password work, can I then type 'terminal' and/or just type 'e2fsck -v -y (partition)' and expect it to perhaps fix the clock and read-only filesystem problem?

What partition should I use in that command 'e2fsck -v -y (mmcblk01p1) ? for example?

Because of the non-password, don't do it this way. You can boot on Zaxxon, unmount the card, and indeed e2fsck -v -y /dev/mmcblk0p1

I've only seen this fsck + reboot when i untarred from a PC which has a clock in the future, compared to the OP's clock.

Now, about your card. Did you already used ext2 on it, and ensured it runs ext2 well ?

Some cards, like my Lexar premium i reported on the sd compatibility list, handles fat32 pretty well, and has the worst ext2 support i ever see.

I can't even boot.

SL4P-Current-4

Internal WiFi

WPA Personal (PSK) + AES

Indeed, it quits.

But it creates an entry, so -->

-right-click on the net icon

-edit connections

-select yours

-push "edit"

-go in "wireless security" tab and set it up

-reconnect

I hope it will work.

Wow this is awesome. I will be trying this the second I can get my hands on a large enough sd card!

Thanks Linux-SWAT for giving the pandora more choice and OS fun.

So this was my last effort within the competition:

The Pandora as a PXE + NFS network boot server.

You can boot a PC under Slackware 13.37 x86 32bit, using a Pandora :) .

It's based on a paused x86 "automatic build-system-like" project i started in august 2011, itself inspired by a production system (1 server - 250 clients) i created from scratch in 2009 where i used to work.

From my very first Pandora days, i had this in mind: booting a network (maybe not 250 PC ;) ) with a Slackware-powered Pandora.

I though about including it in my SL4P release since i entered the contest, but it was in contradiction with my goals:

1- This x86 project had to be finished before being used, and it's a tough one, i need some more monthes.

2- Installing a PXE server on the Pandora HAD to be done with this build system.

3- SL4P had to be perfect, because Slackware is perfect. I owe it to Patrick Volkerding. To OP fans too ^^.

So why do i betrayed myself ?

I "planned" to be 2nd in this contest (even if qemu and aqemu are included in my packages, and are a very, very small portion of the sum of what i've done - note that i'm still amazed by the winnerz's job, and i think they deserved to be #1 from a standard OP user pov), but as the voting deadline approached, and as fourth, i spent the last two days extracting and adapting things from my x86 bazaar while being busy in my "normal" life.

I will upload a second version in a few hours. It just fix minor things.

The quickly-written Wiki page:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced_usage/PXE_boot_server

========

I would like to thank those who voted for SL4P. It's a one-year (and more to come) long project, with around 3 monthes fulltime. I mean from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm. I even stopped playing Starcraft ^^.

Some of you noticed it, so i'm not disappointed ;) .

The 13.37 release was ready since the 1st march. But it was a manual work, and i hate manual work. I like automatic work.

The build system was the real challenge. I spent a lot of time generating rootfs, checking, etc.. Beside my self-satisfaction to be lazy again while letting my PC doing all the job, now anyone who wants to port a Linux to Pandora can use it.

About my result, i don't care about the rankings because i started SL4P far before the compo, in february 2011, and i will continue it as long as i'll have ideas to put in.

It was during the Ingo trip that i realized my project coulda have been in the competition. So it was more motivating. I also focused more on usability. Server things are boring for casual users. And casual voters ;) .

I'm just seeing a free 512M flying away from me ^^. Well, i have two 256M so i feel very lucky compared to non-delivered first batchers.

I plan next to enjoy what i've done, i didn't used it much after this long rush, mostly enhancing, fixing, writing Wiki, etc..

Then i'll refocus on sticking closely to the Pandora OS. I have to know why some pnd doesn't run, my sudoers is a mess, etc..

I'll rebuild future -currents. BTW, 512M owners, get ready for KDE 4.8.2.

And again, thx to Notaz, and everybody listed in the first post of this thread.

As usual, feel free to ask questions ^^.

Back