[Rebirth Competition] Slackware for Pandora 13.37 release thread.

Ahhh even my 13.37 rootfs is broken !!!

I followed this:

http://pandorawiki.o...9_to_an_SD_Card

Those instructions are broken. I can't believe:

1- i copied/pasted without noticing it

2- i didn't tested to uncompress. Such a dumb on this one.

Thanks a lot again !

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, i have a quick fix for both of my rootfs :

-name the card SLACK

-put the archive at the root of your current Linux/*NIX

-insert the card and ensure that it's really mounted as /media/SLACK

-untar the archive with

sudo tar jxvfp myrootfs.tar.bz2

Cheers, that worked. (I ended up setting up an Ubuntu VM). Now my SD card has suffered some kind of failure - my fault and not related to Slackware. Long story. Hopefully I can sort it out and get up and running again.

Uploading the current-3, 2h30 left.

Corrected the wiki about SD rootfs backup.

13.37 will follow.

--EDIT: nice to hear.

Yeah, that's weird how we can put ourselves in troubles sometimes :/.

Yeah, I hadn't configured my partitions properly. After transferring the rootfs I decided to correct it with gparted... on the Pandora. Several hours later it crashed and corrupted the card. :D Fixed now, and extracting rootfs again.

Unfortunately I won't get to try this untill quite some time in the future... Only get about 11 - 18kbps max (sometimes as little as about 2.5kbps) here in coffee bay. Besides, it costs me about R365 for 2Gb of data.

But it looks great and i just want to show my appreciation for the the huge amount of work you've obviously put into this. I hope you get lots of votes. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I though about a very minimal version, but i focused on a fully-featured build.

I'm curious to know what would be your acceptable download size FaeMinx ?

Thanks for your nice comments, and feedback is welcome, especially like the one Gruso did ^^' .

I'm uploading 13.37-2. Again, 2h30 to wait ^^.

It's just a repackaging + updated readme, as opposed as -current-3 which is a rebuild.

I tested it really fast, seems ok.

As the new Uber Zaxxon B3 is out from ED's magic hat, i will probably rebuild a new -current. Can't say exactly when.

I will also update the kernel update package.

Thx :^).

i'm on afterburner mode now, i want to upload the best releases as possible before the deadline.

As building the rootfs takes 30mn and upload 2h30 and i have two releases to manage, every second counts :^).

Rma or not delivered (as far as it seems) ?

I'm a 2 year waiter (and now an upgraded waiter...) *sigh* never had the pleasure to actually use one...

:/ Hopefully, the final countdown is running.

(i forbid everyone to link Europe's song in this thread :D ).

I though about a very minimal version, but i focused on a fully-featured build.
I'm curious to know what would be your acceptable download size FaeMinx ?

Unfortunately for me even a 300mb download gives me serious pause... I only download files that size after I've deliberated for ages and finally convinced myself... And then it can take up to two days to download!

At present my Pandora is my only computer, so if I didn't have uget I would be screwed.

When I spend time in St. Francis Bay (which isn't often) I have access to my i5 desktop and much cheaper internet (but still about R65 a Gb)... So there a 1Gb file would give me pause and require some serious personal convincing... My pockets aren't lined with money you know... Life is pretty much a constant struggle. My dream is to have uncapped internet one day. But for the foreseeable future it remains but a dream. :)

(Sometimes on the very rare occassion my service provider will offer a special such a 20Gb for R499 which is like a gift from heaven for me).

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm pretty much a Linux noob, so why Slackware, I understand that it is a more updated OS, by my understanding the Kernel is the same between the 2 OS's.

Is Slackware more optimized, feature rich or something else? I remember people saying the Angstrom repository is kinda in disarray, so I'm guessing this would fix that?

Well, apart what is listed here:

http://boards.openpa...ad/#entry134288

-choice is good

-Slackware rocks

-this OS is the most complete you can run on Pandora, you have all recent dev tools and you can compile everything that runs on ARM

-updates are easy

I indeed ship the exact same kernel as Zaxxon-latest, but i now also provide the same one recompiled with a recent compiler, and also a realtime one.

In short, you have the best OS on the best hardware.

Note that i also provide the build system. With it you can port any *NIX to Pandora with a bit of bash and system knowledge. And time ^^.

In fact, the real work here IS the build system.

I don't intend at all to "replace" Zaxxon because i never targeted a NAND install. I targeted a full-featured, overbloated OS.

And i compiled around 200 packages for each release. You just have to manually (hey i did the big part of the work ^^) check dependencies, download and install.

Back