Pyra news partially stale from the dragon's mouth

The only thing missing for the first 550 units are the heatsinks (they come from China, but there are plenty of sources so it won't be an issue), heat silicone mat (coming from Germany), packaging, sticker and manual (all from Germany), the heatpipe-strips (plenty in stock at Mouser).... and that's it.
GC already has the parts for the CPU boards and display boards and all the non-common stuf for the next 500,

Thanks! Can you give the table a quick glance again and see if I got it right?

The only thing missing for the first 550 units are the heatsinks (they come from China, but there are plenty of sources so it won't be an issue), heat silicone mat (coming from Germany), packaging, sticker and manual (all from Germany), the heatpipe-strips (plenty in stock at Mouser).... and that's it.
GC already has the parts for the CPU boards and display boards and all the non-common stuf for the next 500,

That is so close. Should we start calling it Two Weeks instead of Two Months ?

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
It'll likely take ED a couple weeks to work through building 500 units, and of course delivery takes some days ever to happen. Two weeks is definitely too early if you didn't order on the first day, and I'm not expecting mine in that duration even with my order number.

I don't really expect to have my pyra withing two calendar weeks.

Even though I did place my order on day 1.

What happens after first 500 ? Is there is a possibility of production halt till china recovers. ( My guess is some parts like keymats are indirectly coming from china )

According to the table on the last page, the box that ED unwrapped on youtube contained 1000* keymats. And according to a search of the company named on the packing label and the tape used drops me at an Austrian firm, based in Vienna, which is even further from any ongoing cases of Covid-19 than ED himself is.

I'd expect many of the passive components to come ultimately from China, but they can probably be sourced from supply chains closer to home for slightly higher costs when needed.

*Actually only 960 keymats by my maths if there's 4 boxes of 240 keymats each. I ended up rewatching the video (it's his latest on youtube, after 6 minutes in).

I am not sure if I remember this correctly, but probably ED himself posted somewhere that, that Austrian company is getting keymats manufactured from somewhere in China.

And this is what I was talking some messages ago.
Strange, i looked back until page 6 of this thread, but ditnt found a message from you ..

Im a bit worryd about the Work EvilDragon still have to do: Design a Manual and the Packaging,
Allthough on a Comunity Handheld like the Pyra, i dotnt think a Manual would be that Neccessary as you can allways look on the Boards, and i think peaple who bought the Pyra should know how to use the Internet..

I mean, how diferent from the Pandora could using the Pyra get? , Isnt it just a diferent Power Connector to charge, some diverent Buttons, and this Time Debian Linux? (and the CPU is much faster)..

Strange, i looked back until page 6 of this thread, but ditnt found a message from you ..

I think he points towards you either claiming everybody thinks like you, or saying things like I dont mind if there are no more that 28 pyra because i will have mine...

mine mine mine me me me I I I

It'll be enough to satisfy the pre-preorders, but if I remember Lightkey's posts on IRC from Saturday night, there are still over 1000 preorderers.
Never mind Zwerg01, he's just trying to be the funny troll as usual, he knows there are more than 500 preorders.

As it had been said from the beginning, we're doing batches of 500. For the simple reason because I can't afford doing more at once.

I have to pay 60% of the costs for the Pyra PCBs upfront - and I even paid 100% for the first batch (because it took so long).
So once the remaining payments come in, the next batch will be ordered and GC will start it as soon as the the parts arrive.

BTW: Even though we've got a bit more than 1000 preorders, I doubt we'll need more than 1000 units.
There will be some who have completely forgotten about it or simply don't care about it anymore and have changed the email address or never reply. Some also might've died and no one knows about that.
There are always some who never react - but we'll see about that.

Of course I hope we can continue the production after 1000 as well. We've got over 2000 LCDs and batteries lying around and enough nubs for 5000 units :)

Whell, as i ditnt met somewhone of the other about 1000 Pyra Preeorderers personaly, i hope for my Pyra ^^,

But if the first 1000 are produced, i hope whit Mouth to Mouth Propaganda, whe will get lot more new Orders, ..

My Plan per exemple is to use my Pyra lot more than i dit whit my Pandora, from Tetris up to Post Things in the Boards..

Never mind Zwerg01, he's just trying to be the funny troll as usual, he knows there are more than 500 preorders.

As it had been said from the beginning, we're doing batches of 500. For the simple reason because I can't afford doing more at once.

I have to pay 60% of the costs for the Pyra PCBs upfront - and I even paid 100% for the first batch (because it took so long).
So once the remaining payments come in, the next batch will be ordered and GC will start it as soon as the the parts arrive.

BTW: Even though we've got a bit more than 1000 preorders, I doubt we'll need more than 1000 units.
There will be some who have completely forgotten about it or simply don't care about it anymore and have changed the email address or never reply. Some also might've died and no one knows about that.
There are always some who never react - but we'll see about that.

Of course I hope we can continue the production after 1000 as well. We've got over 2000 LCDs and batteries lying around and enough nubs for 5000 units :)
Good news, I may be in second batch with little luck :)

Is there a way to find out whether one's order is in the first or second batch of 500? I vaguely remember that I ordered around the time when there were already 500 preorders, and some may have dropped out and so on.

Is there a way to find out whether one's order is in the first or second batch of 500? I vaguely remember that I ordered around the time when there were already 500 preorders, and some may have dropped out and so on.
Take a look at your email confirmation of your preorder, check the date. Then head over to:
and see if you are in the first week (line 1). If so, you are likely, but not definitely in the first 500. Any other week and probably not.

Back