Pyra news partially stale from the dragon's mouth

I'm still alive, but stuffed with work and I'm also fighting a bit with my health, but I'm not dead yet :)

Sorry, the Pyra news kinda made me miss this...

Still alive, fighting with health but not dead yet?

Nothing too serious I hope? ..... Been on a cruise lately? ;)

Take care of yourself dude...

Some years ago, my Sister had a Job and a Home in Nürnberg, but since about 2010, she now lives in Saarbrücken.. , so 10 Years ago, visiting my Sister and the drive to Ingolstadt via Train were no big issue, but just for the Pyra nearly 500 Kilometer?
It’s nearer than Craig’s Place but still to far ..

So I think i will get my Pyra by UPS or something and maybe drive someday to the Gamescom whit the Train.. or to hope he will be on some Conventions near by my Place when the Pyra gets that much of a succes

Whit best regards, Matthias

Reactions: rSl
The good thing is that whe need nothing from China to finish the Pyra yet, everything should be at Global Components in Bayern, whe only need the Cases from Greece..

With the recent outbreak in Italy I'm less optimistic now than I was last week.

Unfortunately situations like this where massive shortages are expexted can lead to component theft, I'm sure Global Components are doing their best to protect their customers but we can't be 100% sure our components will still be there when we need them. It has happened before even to much bigger players in the market. I hope we are not relying on being able to buy components on demand from GC?

Who would steal Plastic Cases?? Even at a Zombie Apocalypse, I don’t see why..
The only component of the Pyra which would could be interesting would be the Battery:
You could shortcut the Battery to get make a Campfire , same as a Cigarette Lighter on a Car..
But the Battery’s are allready in Germany..

Also: Corona is anying, and if you are already not that healthy It could lead to death ,
But i don’t see why it should lead to issues for the Pyra

So I Hope to get my Pyra before Corona, so I have something to play in the Hospital..

Also: Corona is anying, and if you are already not that healthy It could lead to death ,

So I Hope to get my Pyra before Corona, so I have something to play in the Hospital..
Unlikely you’d be in a fit state to do so with such a fever...

The victims of Corona got my whole empathy, it’s a pretty bad situation, but I don’t think it would harm the Pyra at this state much

Reactions: rSl
Who would steal Plastic Cases?? Even at a Zombie Apocalypse, I don’t see why..
The only component of the Pyra which would could be interesting would be the Battery:
You could shortcut the Battery to get make a Campfire , same as a Cigarette Lighter on a Car..
But the Battery’s are allready in Germany..

Well the plastic cases are custom made and so are the boards, so they're pretty safe because they're not reusable for other products. It's much of the same story with the batteries, although they are ever so slightly more desirable for use as built in batteries where the connectors don't matter anyway they're still very specialized and are only available in low volumes. I'd bet every single 14650, 18650 and 26650 cell nearby would get stolen before our batteries are. Assembled boards could theoretically be scavenged for parts but I find that unlikely as well. I'm more worried about the bare components we might have sitting around.

Passives like capacitors, resistors and inductors are in plenty of stock now but it probably won't take too long before the stocks run dry of the semi-common parts. Things like 0603 10k SMD resistors are so common they will find their way out on the market one way or another (low volume production from China being the most likely solution short term), but things like battery controllers will have to be designed for what's left in stock until EU and USA can move or ramp up production. I'm hoping China can find a way to get Shenzhen back up and running at reduced capacity soon while there's still enough momentum in the supply chains to keep the stocks filled.

Again, it's the bare components I'm worried about. Tapes with passives and ICs. The rest is probably too custom for component thieves, although thieves aren't known for being smart.

So I guess my question still stands, does anybody know if we still have bare components stored away somewhere and/or are we relying on any on demand stock? From my recollection I think we have assembled both the mainboards and SoC boards, so unless we need more of those before this all blows over I don't consider them an issue. I seem to remember something about the LCDs being bonded to the resistive touch panels as well, which would hopefully make them low value targets for component thieves.

So I've tried to make a list of the Pyra parts, what I think the inherent risk of theft is and their current status (please correct me if I'm wrong on either point):

CaseCustom1000 produced, in transit to ED next week
MainboardCustom550 produced, in transit?
CPU boardsCustom??? produced
KeymatCustom960(+?) produced, in our stock (at GC?)
LCDsOff the shelves2000 in our stock at GC
LCD cablesCustom3000 produced, in our stock (at GC?)
Display boardsCustom??? produced
NubsOff the shelves, rare10000 in our stock (at GC?)
BatteriesCustom3000 produced, in our stock (at GC?)
HeatsinksOff the shelves550? available from multiple sources
Heat silicone matCustom?550? available from source
PackagingCustom550+ available from source
StickerCustom550+ available from source
ManualCustom550+ available from source
Heatpipe stripsOff the shelves550+ available from source

This data comes from reading skimming old newsposts, if I missed anything then tell me and I'll update the table.

Edit: Table last updated 2020-02-25
2020-02-25: Corrected number of keymats according to this forum post by levi

Last edited:
The only thing missing for the first 550 units are the heatsinks (they come from China, but there are plenty of sources so it won't be an issue), heat silicone mat (coming from Germany), packaging, sticker and manual (all from Germany), the heatpipe-strips (plenty in stock at Mouser).... and that's it.
GC already has the parts for the CPU boards and display boards and all the non-common stuf for the next 500,

Back