Pyra Fanart

I still think the exploded view should appear somewhere on the Pyra box (maybe the back):
Pya-Render-Explosion_small.png
But I am a fan of the minimalistic look for the rest of the box. Then again, the Japanese Pandora box art (by TraylorPark was it?) was all kinds of awesome too.
We need a video of this done like this burger drop :p

its the right way round cause you are looking through the back of the screen. if you "open"the lid the screen would be correct.

I'm for the minimalist look. A white background....heck, any empty field will do. Then a bold red Pyra logo stamped in the center of the box. The contrast is enough. People already know what they are getting.
[doublepost=1472549754,1472549535][/doublepost]ED could be a trend-setter of sorts. The Pyra logo could really catch on and become a "brand" and then business would really catch fire.

Since the logo is only used for the Pyra anyway, that could work :) If ED uses the same packaging for accessories, it would get complicated...

Since the logo is only used for the Pyra anyway, that could work :) If ED uses the same packaging for accessories, it would get complicated...

It would still be PYRA-related....hopefully. That is to say that ED is a smart business man. He wouldn't sell a Retrode2 game cartridge thing and slap a Pyra logo on it. He's trying to eliminate confusion. He's trying to give people what they want. He's a good man and he's truthful. He's a rare breed in this industry.

The red Pyra logo, smacked in (soy based) ink on a gritty box would look awesome.
[doublepost=1472551464,1472551218][/doublepost]...also, it would be cheap. No need for custom printing of boxes. No embossing, creation of metal dies and such. Just one rubber die. The cost of about $20...or probably the same in Euros. Ink (and pad) is cheap. It's the perfect solution.

@FlapJack I didn't mean he'd use the box for anything that comes along, but maybe for a big Pyra accessory pack (case, HDMI cable, SD cards etc). So if that stuff and the Pyra itself would use the exact same box, you wouldn't be able to guess the content just from looking at it. Personally, I hate turning around boxes in my hands just to figure out what kind of thing was/is in there when they could've just put some info on top of it.

@FlapJack I didn't mean he'd use the box for anything that comes along, but maybe for a big Pyra accessory pack (case, HDMI cable, SD cards etc). So if that stuff and the Pyra itself would use the exact same box, you wouldn't be able to guess the content just from looking at it. Personally, I hate turning around boxes in my hands just to figure out what kind of thing was/is in there when they could've just put some info on top of it.

I hope that this isn't a Christmas flashback. You deserved to get that bike and/or BB-gun.

That being said, you might be right. It's an international product being shipped to (potentially) every country. Maybe customs might need some explanation. It's better to put it on the box, rather than it getting ripped open because they have no idea what it is. This makes me think more.... yeah, i hate to admit it, but we probably need the Pyra pics and specs emblazoned upon the box.

@FlapJack it would have been a christmas flashback, but luckily, my dad looked twice at the package and noticed the missing "3G" label before he bought it (got a ps vita that year) ;)

well, there's still the option to put the info somewhere on the side of the package (at least the important details like 2/4GB RAM and US mobile/EU mobile/WiFi only unit). like i said, it's a personal preference to have that stuff on top of the box so i don't have to turn it to identify what's in it. i won't spontaneously combust from exhaustion if it's not on top but on the side :p

You're just a kid. Well spoken though. I'll give you that. PEACE.

@kabaiakh
Can you do this with inverted colors please? E.g. the outline in black and logo/letters in red?

The gradients on the outline is OK, fine ... I like it a lot. But logo/letter should be the same color, right now it looks weird.

@jeeks will we ever see some awesome pixel art animation of opening a pyra and seeing the logo go up in flames ?

Let the whole thing burn, and leave the smoldering logo after it is gone.

I am reminded of the first of April.

@ible i'll try :D the controls are a bitch though on small canvases (they tend to stick together and create a weird cluster of greyscale garbage) :mad:

EDIT: 128x128 seems to work out for identifiable controls :3 the part that took forever was the logo on the lid (still looks kind of meh :'(). now let's see if i can animate that thing..!

EDIT2: my graphic tablet ran out of battery but i made it this far:
tiny_pyra__wip__by_chielo-dah4xjz.gif

last frame was me wondering if XFCE fits onto the small screen area. gif is scaled up 200%.

Last edited:
Beautiful! I wonder if you could have one of the keyboard LEDs working as a breathing power LED without affecting the aesthetic too negatively?

Edit: Are those 'NNF' things the speaker grills? If so they're slightly misplaced (but I'll admit I didn't notice until I'd seen it round a good few times).

@levi I'll expand the animation (and fix those speakers) as soon as my tablet is done charging (I hate using it with the cable) :)

Back