Prototype mainboards coming soon

I just didn't have the time to post much as I had to ship over 200 packages during the last few days (christmas time in an online shop) and catched my usual pre-christmas flu (probably from being overworked).

Wow. I ordered some stuff yesterday, but I wasn't expecting to receive it before Christmas. I figured the Christmas rush would have been finished by now.

We're auctioning once we have those units finished. The first ones will go to those who already ordered a prototype.
That said, the only things missing now for those are the keymats and the cases, and I've got some news about these.
I just didn't have the time to post much as I had to ship over 200 packages during the last few days (christmas time in an online shop) and catched my usual pre-christmas flu (probably from being overworked).

I'll update you soon :)
Well take the holiday and have a fun time with your family. You deserve it big time

Sure, the more ideas the better :)
I'll let you know if/when I get contact with him. Have we in theory a way to get hardware to Hamburg? (I may have someone who might help out with equipment).
anyone here, who has planned to be at 33c3? (I skipped this year, so have no ticket).

First of all sorry for being away for some time. Looking at this HW issue this seems to me a Power Integrity issue probably due to SSN (simultaneous switching noise), where the digital signals are causing excessive crosstalk on the PDN (Power Delivery Network) generating noise on the PDN (VDD/VCC and GND) that leads to a reset.Using more vias and decoupling capacitors are certainly the way to go. As more vias are added to the design it decreases the GND impedance and makes it easier for the high frequency current to return. I just made a simple simulation showing how the noise generated by a 2GHz clock on a nearby PCB trace is decreased as we add more vias connecting the GND net at different layers:

The target impedance is decreaseng over the decades as we can see here:

But this is a fixed value, in reality we have a mask that defines the target impedance for a component (here the OMAP) as a function of frequency, since the layout of the PDN and the capacitors are all working together and are responsible for these resonances. Here ais an example of impedance mask:

Finally, I have some slides that shows how the capacitors changes the PDN Impedance, the noise on the VDD and also radiated emissions.

This is a common issue today and I will be more than happy to evaluate the designs before sent to prototyping (if it's not too late already).

Generally bunnie is willing to help. He is at 33c3, but says that he would not be much of a help, without having deeper knowledge about the actual hardware design.
So question is: is there some sense to meet up with him at 33c3 (and if who of the involved guys here is the most fitting person to do so? Nikoaus, ED, some other hardware guy)?
I for sure are the wrong guy for that topic.
I'll keep you informed about my other question, if he is wiling to spend more time "digging" into it (he has to put reasonable amount of time into it, to be of help I guess).

Well, I'm a real noob in Linux, but I have Experience from the Pandora, so I think i could also deal whit the Pyra even at this early stage..

Dotnt expect videos from me, as I ditnt know how to make Videos or how to cut them for YouTube..
but I will post a lot of pictures, and lots of text where I write about my experience so far..

What's are the diverences between a Mass Production Unit and the Prototype which is going to sell??
Will it have a proper Heatsink??
The lastest Case Revision whit the Better Hinge area??
And the Coating for the speakers??
And if the 1,3 ghz Unit is fixed whit the next CPU Board, are they being shipped whit 1,5 ghz ??

As long the Prototype is better than my Pandora, I would be happy I ditnt need a über perfect Case, as long it's works and is tough for everyday carry

Last edited:
This is a common issue today and I will be more than happy to evaluate the designs before sent to prototyping (if it's not too late already).

Thank you so much! It's not too late, we planned to work on possible improvements of the CPU boards until early of January and then order them.
Nikolaus will prepare the needed files for you. :D

any new updates on parts coming yet and also the auction for more prototype pyra's. ( inot trying to be that guy but was just wondering?=)

Back