Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

op-ivy! made my day. good choice of games too.

can the psx emu do the resolution doubling like on the rpi? not a blocker / i like blocky.

really thinking we could capitalize further on the dual dpads. usher in a whole nother dimension of wm's. let's think on it.

bombest demo so far. internal urges triggered. ty.

It wasnt meant to make the poor little pyra bad, but i dotnt know what to expect from the Pyra in this state of development,
Im happy when its runs a basic debian, recharges the battery, boots up and shoots down when i want it to do this..
I wansnt expecting that its allready runs some emulators, so i m positiv surprised... ^^

Wow. Being able to type that much is impressive. Looking really forward to this. I don't anticipate doing a lot of typing, but I would like to be able to write scripts and enough code to do interesting things.

Thanks for the info!
You will be.
Especially with having CRTL,SHIFT,FN and ALT on the shoulder buttons.
And TAB and ESC finally are on its own keys.

Ok saw the Video in my free time, its cool that it runs Playstation whitout much optimication, if i remember correctly, the Pandora ditnt run Playstation that good at start..
Ditnt understand much about this Charging at the Beginning, but maybe it was only because i used only one Airpod and eated something..

Is FN mappable for scripts?

Hmm. You might want to be more specific in that. Right now, pretty much every key on the keyboard has a Fn layer mapping. However, there is a (nearly) entire layer of the keyboard without maps.

Fn+Shift (the two left shoulders together) + nearly any key in the keyboard area = should be able to be mapped to -whatever-, which could very well be scripts or whatnot.

There are a few exceptions. Power, Fn, Alt, Ctrl and the brightness button. The brightness button already has Fn+Shift+brightness = keyboard backlight down.

Hmm. You might want to be more specific in that

I usually like to map window options (e.g. loading the browser, maximising, floating or tiling a window, etc) to the meta/Windows key so alt, ctrl and shift are left without conflicts for application-specific mappings. Sounds like it may be possible to utilise the Fn key... if so, I believe it would be extremely useful.

I think funkeymonkey should be set up to create a "pyraInput Gamepad" device which maps the game buttons and nubs, including the L2 which is also Fn, like a gamepad; simultaneous to their mappings to keyboard modifiers/keys and mouse movements respectively.

This is also something i wanted to ask: you only used the DPAD and Buttons on your Videos, arend the Nubs mapped yet ?

The nubs are mapped but I havent figured our how to configure them yet. It’s all mapped with funkeymonkey but I’ve still to learn how to configure this. I’d like to soon, but it hasn’t been a priority for me yet.

I really spend very little time playing with the thing, maybe a couple hours a week. My kernel is often in a partially working state as I work on and test various features and fixes. Right now I’ve been able to test some fun stuff because I’m running Dave’s kernel which has all the most up to date fixes for graphics and audio. The stuff I have been working on is a bit more behind the scenes and a bit more boring to the end user :)

The nubs are mapped but I havent figured our how to configure them yet. It’s all mapped with funkeymonkey but I’ve still to learn how to configure this. I’d like to soon, but it hasn’t been a priority for me yet.
You used them in your playstation video, although I think you mainly used them to navigate the desktop, because for PS1 gaming I think you went to the d-pad. I remember them because of the springy noises they made. So it seems that even without configuring them they're good to use, so I wouldn't sweat it on trying to learn how to configure them.

You used them in your playstation video, although I think you mainly used them to navigate the desktop, because for PS1 gaming I think you went to the d-pad. I remember them because of the springy noises they made. So it seems that even without configuring them they're good to use, so I wouldn't sweat it on trying to learn how to configure them.

I think funkeymonkey takes the keyboard, nubs, game controls, and shoulder buttons and maps 3 input devices: Keyboard, Pyra Gamepad, and Nubs (not positive on this). They are configured for keyboard and mouse usage, but I don't think they're configured in the Pyra Gamepad. They don't seem to work in Retroarch when I select the Pyra Gamepad input.

I need to take a look at the schematic to see what’s good with the LEDs on the display board. With regards to charging the battery when off, a secondary OS is not needed for this. We could handle this in the initramfs and prevent mounting the rootfs and continuing booting until we’ve reached a good level. In my opinion it’s better to handle this in the bootloader but I’m open to options.
So what are the options? One is loading it in the initramfs (which I think it loaded by the bootloader or something rather close to it) and the other is doing it in the bootloader itself? I guess doing it in the initramfs will be slower to start charging, because it need to load the initramfs of a potentially slow SD card, but then again the initramfs is only in the order to 8MiB or so I assume, which could take as long as two seconds on an old class 4 card but in all likelihood probably won't. But I'm still tending to support the idea of doing it from the bootloader, because it seems simpler.

For now there’s no driver in the bootloader to handle the display. This is not particularly trivial so it’ll be a little bit until I get this going. For now just LED feedback. The charger chip fully handles proper charging of the battery, so all we need to do is configure the appropriate settings and wait until we’re charged enough to to boot if we’re below a certain threshold.
Okay, don't sweat getting exact charge percentages up on the screen then. I'm sure the majority of us (including myself) are perfeclty content with LED indications combined with a feeling for how long we've had it on charge. As I say three states; charging and less the recharge level, past recharge level and past full and having stopped charging, but still being plugged in. Presumably also it should find a way to halt the cpu and turn off ram refresh and basically power down the machine entirely if the charge cable is removed at any time.

Back