Pictures, Videos and thoughts of a Pyra dev-prototype

@TrashyMG : Thanks for your video.
sampaead519f5f17e9a5.jpg

TI descoped 500MHz mode.

That never stopped us on the OMAP3, but I guess at this stage I guess keeping up with what TI says at this stage. I hope that ones Pyra have been in the wild a while we'll have similar flexibility to how we run our Pandoras - mine sits at 150MHz at max for much of the time I'm either no using it or just listening to music on it, and only ramp it up to a little of 1GHz when I actually want to use it for something more productive. I've actually got little scripts now attached to keyboard shortcuts to wake up the system and turn TV-out on, since my unit doesn't have a working screen any more.

Now I just need a way to disable usb host without needing a sudo password. I need to work out how the OS contains that /usr/pandora/scripts folder where you can run everything with superuser permissions using 'sudo -n'. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the permissions of the files, so I'll have to look at the folder permissions to work out what's so special about them.

Basically, the policy from maintainers (from what I've gathered from the kernel mailing list) is "if it's not in the current TI docs, it's not going into mainline". That doesn't really stop us from maintaining unofficial patches for it.

Ok, Eclipse works. Again, it's just a matter or "sudo apt install eclipse".
Only openjdk is there for now, not sure if the perfs are good. I haven't done anything with it. I'll try to use it a bit tomorrow...

(I know, I launched 2 of them)
OpenJDK should be fine nowadays, unless you use JavaFX or some oracle-specific stuff. The performance difference isn't significant anymore AFAIK.

Now I just need a way to disable usb host without needing a sudo password. I need to work out how the OS contains that /usr/pandora/scripts folder where you can run everything with superuser permissions using 'sudo -n'. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the permissions of the files, so I'll have to look at the folder permissions to work out what's so special about them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid#setuid_on_executables

Method1: you need to make a small c program, and you can set the SUID bit on that to run it as root. From there, you can fork and run a shell script. setting SUID bits on shell scripts was removed from Linux due to security.

Method2:
visudo does not exist on the pandy, so you need to be careful editing the sudoers file (basically any editor will do, but visudo does this check before saving and aborts saving if there is a typo, and throws you back to vi): https://www.garron.me/en/linux/visudo-command-sudoers-file-sudo-default-editor.html

Ok, Eclipse works. Again, it's just a matter or "sudo apt install eclipse".
Only openjdk is there for now, not sure if the perfs are good. I haven't done anything with it. I'll try to use it a bit tomorrow...

(I know, I launched 2 of them)

Perfect, thanks!
OpenJDK is perfectly fine for me! A JDK for Arm doesn't exist that long, iirc. I'm surprised, that it works out of the box.

Back