Release Pcsx-Rearmed

is there any way to override the nub axis with a usb joystick ?

using nubs for GT2 or worse toca2 is basically unplayable! with my cheaptastic thrustmaster II I can deftly control the racing cars - even if I hobble the PC emu to perform similarly to on the pandora, using nubs is a disaster, crash every lap at least!

I got the analog sticks to behave like digital directions (not much use!) but any time I enabled analogue control - no matter how I configured it emu or game, I couldn't seem to get it to use the analogue axes from the thrustmaster instead of the nubs

Being able to redefine the analogue axes like the other controls would make the brilliant emu - just about complete for me, seriously nice but of emu notaz - thanks!

( reminder for those experimenting with usb joysticks use a usb2.0 hub or you'll need to reboot if the joystick is usb 1.0 ;) )

Yamara said:
Playing Final Fantasy Tactics, using R8, at 750mhz, under Hotfix 5. Just reporting a few bugs.

The music plays perfectly, but incidental sounds like the background raindrops in the first battle and other minor sound effects are more "tinkly" than they are supposed to be. The rain normally sounds like dull rain drops on matted leaves, and in R8, they sound a bit like musical plinks. They are the right overall volume. This happens all the time, but if I hadn't just seen the actual game on the PS3, I might not have known it was wrong.
I noticed this as well.

The background map intermittently doesn't display in the map view. It will still display the dots for towns, sprites for characters and the menu system overlaying. Switching into the menu or out of the menu will redraw the map. This happens less than one in ten menu views or town visitations.

Within the menus for learning new traits and spells, and the menus for equipping items, sometimes the text doesn't clear correctly from previous menus. Thus, it will say I could equip something like: Iron Sword, Blind Dagger, Monk, Priest. Backing out a screen and entering it again will clear this up. This happens with the same frequency as the background map display bug.
This also happens on other emulators, especially the map thing.

The gameplay is overall quite smooth, and it's an awesome play on the Pandora. There are no bugs in the fighting, though some of the complex summons slow down a bit. The bugs are intermittent enough to not interfere with the play. The game does not save to memory card, but save state works. Thanks for all your hard work. Hope this report helps.
I found that memcard saving works since r8 but maybe the problem occurs only in cases I don't hit a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried the Zod version on my droid at 1ghz and its not even as close to as fast as my pandora at 800mhz. I used the castlevania symphony of the night as a test. Long live Pandora!

^ Which just goes to show you that when you can target a single piece of hardware, you get results.

Great job again, notaz. Are you enjoying your gaming break? Which games are you playing?

chris_c said:
Being able to redefine the analogue axes like the other controls would make the brilliant emu - just about complete for me, seriously nice but of emu notaz - thanks!
It can be done but it's a bit painful to implement, the fact I don't have suitable USB analog joystick for testing doesn't help either.

David Bowman said:
Great job again, notaz. Are you enjoying your gaming break? Which games are you playing?
I've started the Crash series for relaxation and Chrono Cross that I missed back in the day (not released in Europe, what were they thinking?). Haven't progressed much of either as I received my real PSX (~10 years after selling my original one) and been messing with it a lot (running tests and stuff).

I also notice that when run with Debian it fails to find the gpio-keys event device node... I suspect this is more a Debian misconfiguration but I'll look more properly once I get some time (xinput *does* report a gpio-keys device....)

Years ago - a few more than I care to remember I had the official sony psx docs in my hands and I remember that all the 3d functionality was via a (fairly extensive) set of library routines that were used for low level gpu access (you had to use these to get certification no hardware hacking :-o ) Are these calls rendered via gles or via software rasterisation ? ie is gles just used to stretch and blit the render buffer?

You never know there could be even more juice to be squeezed out of this lovely piece of software!

This is really nice... I'm just now trying it out.

The first time it worked well, but the second time, the PND refused to mount. I'm using sebt3's new pnd_run.sh. Here's the .out file:
Code:
=======================================================================================
PND_SCRIPT      : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS        : -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd -e pcsx.sh -b pcsx_rearmed
PND             : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : pcsx.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[08h49m26   START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[08h49m26    INFO ]   Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop3" "/mnt/pnd/pcsx_rearmed"
[08h49m27    INFO ]   mount: Cannot allocate memory
[08h49m28 WARNING ]   : mount faild, re-tring
[08h49m30    INFO ]   mount: Cannot allocate memory
[08h49m30   ERROR ]   The PND File-system is not mounted !
[08h49m31    INFO ]   +++++++
[08h49m31    INFO ]   Loopback devices :
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop0: [b301]:820 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/links.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop1: [b301]:1126 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/midori-0.3.3-1.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop2: [b301]:679 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System/xfe.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop3: [b301]:29005 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   Are mounted on :
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/links type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop2 on /mnt/pnd/xfe type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop1 on /mnt/pnd/midori-0.3.3 type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   For these Union :
[08h49m32    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/links type aufs (rw,si=61ba4577,noplink)
[08h49m33    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/xfe type aufs (rw,si=69e6b777,noplink)
[08h49m33    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/midori-0.3.3 type aufs (rw,si=6182c577,noplink)
[08h49m33   ERROR ]   The Union File-system is not mounted !
[08h49m33    INFO ]   +++++++
[08h49m34    INFO ]   Loopback devices :
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop0: [b301]:820 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/links.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop1: [b301]:1126 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/midori-0.3.3-1.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop2: [b301]:679 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System/xfe.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop3: [b301]:29005 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   Are mounted on :
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/links type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop2 on /mnt/pnd/xfe type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop1 on /mnt/pnd/midori-0.3.3 type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   For these Union :
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/links type aufs (rw,si=61ba4577,noplink)
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/xfe type aufs (rw,si=69e6b777,noplink)
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/midori-0.3.3 type aufs (rw,si=6182c577,noplink)
[08h49m35  FAILED ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
Return code is : 8

Esn said:
This is really nice... I'm just now trying it out.

The first time it worked well, but the second time, the PND refused to mount. I'm using sebt3's new pnd_run.sh. Here's the .out file:
Code:
PND_SCRIPT      : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS        : -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd -e pcsx.sh -b pcsx_rearmed
PND             : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : pcsx.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
[08h49m26   START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[08h49m26    INFO ]   Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop3" "/mnt/pnd/pcsx_rearmed"
[08h49m27    INFO ]   mount: Cannot allocate memory
[08h49m28 WARNING ]   : mount faild, re-tring
[08h49m30    INFO ]   mount: Cannot allocate memory
[08h49m30   ERROR ]   The PND File-system is not mounted !
[08h49m31    INFO ]   +++++++
[08h49m31    INFO ]   Loopback devices :
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop0: [b301]:820 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/links.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop1: [b301]:1126 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/midori-0.3.3-1.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop2: [b301]:679 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System/xfe.pnd)
[08h49m31    INFO ]   /dev/loop3: [b301]:29005 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   Are mounted on :
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/links type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop2 on /mnt/pnd/xfe type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   /dev/loop1 on /mnt/pnd/midori-0.3.3 type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m32    INFO ]   For these Union :
[08h49m32    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/links type aufs (rw,si=61ba4577,noplink)
[08h49m33    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/xfe type aufs (rw,si=69e6b777,noplink)
[08h49m33    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/midori-0.3.3 type aufs (rw,si=6182c577,noplink)
[08h49m33   ERROR ]   The Union File-system is not mounted !
[08h49m33    INFO ]   +++++++
[08h49m34    INFO ]   Loopback devices :
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop0: [b301]:820 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/links.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop1: [b301]:1126 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/midori-0.3.3-1.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop2: [b301]:679 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/System/xfe.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop3: [b301]:29005 (/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/pcsx_rearmed_r8.pnd)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   Are mounted on :
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop0 on /mnt/pnd/links type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop2 on /mnt/pnd/xfe type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   /dev/loop1 on /mnt/pnd/midori-0.3.3 type squashfs (ro)
[08h49m34    INFO ]   For these Union :
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/links type aufs (rw,si=61ba4577,noplink)
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/xfe type aufs (rw,si=69e6b777,noplink)
[08h49m35    INFO ]   none on /mnt/utmp/midori-0.3.3 type aufs (rw,si=6182c577,noplink)
[08h49m35  FAILED ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
Return code is : 8
try closing some programs maybe adding some swap space - it failed because you ran out of memory and couldn't mount the pnd - nothing to do with rearmed...

Notaz currently .pbp are supported by this emu as they load fine :)
is there a speed difference between formats? .pbp cue/bin .iso?
If so is that code related or compression of format related?
thank you

chris_c said:
try closing some programs maybe adding some swap space - it failed because you ran out of memory and couldn't mount the pnd - nothing to do with rearmed...
Oh, thanks. I have no idea how to tell how much memory I'm using at any given time. I suppose Conky would let me know, but I haven't figured out how to set it up yet.

As far as I know, there's nothing in XFCE like the Windows "Task Manager" which'll tell you what's running and how much memory you're using, or at least I haven't found it.

Esn said:
chris_c said:
Oh, thanks. I have no idea how to tell how much memory I'm using at any given time. I suppose Conky would let me know, but I haven't figured out how to set it up yet.

As far as I know, there's nothing in XFCE like the Windows "Task Manager" which'll tell you what's running and how much memory you're using, or at least I haven't found it.
Code:
free -m
will tell you how much free memory in megs, it'll always look on the low side because of the cache which Linux will "give back" as memory is needed
Code:
ps ax
or
ps ax | less
will show you whats running add to the v (ps axv) will give you the memory they are using
Code:
TRS=text (code) resident set size
DRS=data resident set size
RSS=resident set size
you might enjoy this... http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lpic1-v3-103-1/

as a side note you can kill off X completely and run pcsx on its own - giving it more memory and it's less likely to be interrupted at a critical moment while doing sound for example - so if a particular games sound, is "gappy" you might want to try the experiment...

If it helps i have found one glitch:

In warcraft you can't see the resources statistics, there only appears a black strip where it should be.

it might provide a clue if you tried it with the other display plugins and see if they behave differently...

It happens with all the three plugings. But I have to say that it's not a black strip (well, it's a black strip when there is no ground behind it), it's a translucent zone that you can't reach with the cursor (because it only contains the game information) at the top of screen.

I hate to say that Galerians is not working at all! Just exits the emulator! Damn I loved that game!

I've just tested Galerians PAL SLES02328 in .img/.ccd format and it works perfectly at 800mhz under the r6 version of this emu. That should allow you to play this now, unless notaz can figure a fix for the current version.

r6 is linked on the first post of this thread here http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r6-4-g7ce7d3c.pnd

The free CloneCD program can rip to .img if you've a different format currently, that doesn't work under r6 if you give it a go.

To run 2 versions you'll need to run one from each SD card, as they create identical appdata folders. I hotkey one and leave the other on the desktop, as again in the xfce menu they share the same space. It would be handy if this behaviour could be altered but notaz has already done way too much with this awesome emulator, is a busy guy and I doubt its on any priority list. Hope that gets you your Galerian fix, just don't short out from an overdose eh :)

Mantis said:
The FFVIII crash was never fixed but I've noticed a decent speed boost playing FFVII using R8. Thanks. :)

What crash?

I think about playing it, so I'm asking...

Back