Release Pcsx-Rearmed

I feel sorry for not having enough vocabulary to tell you how awesome you are notaz, but i hope you got the idea :lol:

Just tested crash team racing, the only game i wish to play on psone at the moment, and unfortunately it crashes :(
cue/bin format, PAl version;

there's sony's presentation screen, naughty dog copyright screen (something like that) for about 5 seconds, then the emu crashes.
On psx4all, the emu didn't crash but it kept showing the "sony computer entertainment blablabla" even though the game seemed to run fine (judging by the sound and my memory :p)

posting from pandora

Id go with frequent smaller update releases: could be that a small fix for just one game boosts compatibility for many others. Also you will get feedback quicker if something gets broken and help narrow down finding out what change caused it.

Plus its always exciting to visit the forum and see a new build for an emu :)

Quick bug report: MTV Pure Ride has a bit of an annoying problem where in the menus a DPad press seems to be registered two times, making some menu choices almost impossible to choose, for example "save? No" press to try and select yes, but because it gets two button presses it goes from No>Yes>No!

I'm a big personal fan of frequent smaller updates. How I tend to do things with my actual work releases as well :). If things are working fine for what I'm doing at some point and you are doing a ton of releases nothing forces me to spend the time getting/using the updates :).

Just curious - what was going on with the Lunar hang?

Smaller frequent updates for sure!

That way the community can see that on going improvements are being made. The bigger updates are cool, especially when you get a lot included all at once, but sometimes they take awhile, and then people start to think projects have been scrapped.

Chris

Smaller updates please :)

Is there a specific setting in the options we can try to get patched versions of games working?

I have SOTN with eng subs patched and it crashes the emu before it gets to the title screen.

I think someone (Jumpman?) had a similar issue with a patched version of Policenauts.

Donation sent :)

Thanks for all the work Notaz

notaz said:
MonkeyChops said:
FF8 [PAL] - intro video was flawless at 650 (once I changed the the emu setting to PAL :p ), in the academy is also good until you are about to leave the classroom for the first time. The group of people are suppose to leave before you as you talk to the teacher (which you have to do), however, the group of people get stuck, presumably walking into each other and creating a glitch, they bunch together and then just walk in place indefinitely. The teacher then walks into the group and also gets stuck, meanwhile Squall is unable to move at all.
Can someone do me a savestate something like 20sec before this happens (after it happens it might be too late and the glitch might get "saved").

4 save states with the higher numbers being closer to the problem.
pickle.gp2x.de/SLUS00892-SLUS00892.004.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
DaveC said:
If you fix the later that means you will look at the Memcard bug but won't look at the key binding issue? How can I set the keys back to what they are supposed to be then? Where did you hide the key config thing, I can maybe just edit the config file.
Key config is already fixed in my local tree. And key config saving is not implemented at all yet anyway, just restart the emu..

DaveC said:
Also what do you think of the config per game idea, you didn't really mention the thoughts with that.
Idea is good but I don't know if/when it will be implemented.
notaz said:
Fixed Medal of Honor, Gran Turismo and Lunar hang today, I bet more games will be affected too. Does everyone prefer frequent small updates or rarer but more significant ones?

Ok after the games I tried crashed I didn't go back to the config screen to see that it went back to default.

Howcome so many Pandora emus don't save the configs I wonder? Is it something about Angstrom or 2 slot memory card access that makes programming that a pain? Most Wiz/Caanoo emus save config per game including MAME, SNES, and the new PCSX4All. Having to configure the different games when you load the emu is kind of cumbersome. Hopefully if you don't want to add that for some reason it will be easy for someone to add since the source is available.

For the last question I think many smaller updates are better than larger and less frequent ones. The advantages there are that once a small change is made we can test to see if any bugs were introduced right away. It also has the advantage that if you get busy with something else we would have closes to the most updated version.

Thanks again for everything, amazing stuff as always.

notaz said:
What about the case with no ooo, i.e. BLTZALL, don't see any r31 saving there.
Yes, that's the bug.

notaz said:
Ari64 said:
Code:
    drc: fix unsaved register

it caused invalidate_addr() sometimes to be called with bad address.
Hmm.. This won't break anything, but might waste cpu cycles with useless calls to invalidate_addr(). It appears that storelr_assemble has the same glitch.
In my case it managed to slow things below interpreter level, there could be N64 games suffering badly from this. I don't think storelr is affected with register trashing, only sometimes doing both stubs.
If it happened often, I think I would have noticed. It's probably only noticable in certain cases. I'll look into it.

notaz said:
But I was hitting this with xor assemble, some game used this to do a move I guess.
I see what I did. Wow, that was a really stupid bug.

I converted add zero to mov (or nothing) but not xor.

notaz said:
Yup, the kernel implementation is rather stupid and iterates through every cacheline and does mcr on each of it, taking ~0.4sec. In 2.4 kernel times it used to do whole CPU cache after some threshold was crossed, they dropped that in 2.6 for some reason. If you watch ED's N64 video you'll see some N64 games suffering from this.
hmm.. I guess I need to benchmark this code.

notaz said:
Ari64 said:
Code:
    drc: fix: storelr should also use AGR
There's clearly a problem there, but I don't think that's all of it. If that code was working, then I'm guessing that the address generation register isn't being allocated properly in pass 5. I'd need to think about this some more, and possibly look at the debugging output to see what the register allocation actually looks like.
The code was usually working here too, I guess it depends on how registers are allocated to trigger this or not.
I suspect the register isn't allocated, so it loads the address in a temporary register. It would only matter in the case of constant propagation, so it's probably not a major issue.

Wow, you found a lot of bugs. Some of this stuff really surprises me, since many N64 games work quite well.

BTW, if you are tuning for performance, one thing you might want to check is how often clean_blocks is getting called. It's called periodically based on the cycle count and compares what's currently in memory to what's in the dynarec cache, re-validating code blocks that are the same as before. If you see a lot of time being spent in verify_code then you might need to adjust how often this is called.

For N64 emulation, I had it run on each region of memory about every 2 seconds. Sometimes when you load a save state in mupen64plus you can see some slight lag for 1 or 2 seconds while it figures out what parts of the cache are valid.

Wow, you found a lot of bugs. Some of this stuff really surprises me, since many N64 games work quite well.

I think with the work of Notaz & Ari64 at the end we get a better PSX & N64 emulation too. :)

MooTheKow said:
Just curious - what was going on with the Lunar hang?
It's using PSX framebuffer scissoring thing (not sure if that has more formal name) which caused unaligned NEON store in my bgr->rgb converter. Pandora has alignment faults set to "ignore" for some reason, and the kernel probably doesn't know how to skip NEON instructions and the process hangs. Maybe newer kernels will handle this better.

DaveC said:
Howcome so many Pandora emus don't save the configs I wonder? Is it something about Angstrom or 2 slot memory card access that makes programming that a pain? Most Wiz/Caanoo emus save config per game including MAME, SNES, and the new PCSX4All. Having to configure the different games when you load the emu is kind of cumbersome.
Nothing to do with pandora, just time spent on things like this is not as rewarding as fixing compatibility, for example.

i'm just wondering... you said you've integrated the PEOPS software gpu plugin, would it be worth the effort porting one of the GL plugins to use GLES ? (source: http://www.pbernert.com/html/dev.htm)

Just to note, i dont know what special features the PSX GPU has/had, but taking a look at the sources, it seems that there are just some quad/triangle drawing routines and nothing fancy that shouldn't be available even with GLES 1.1

Many thanks Notaz, can't wait to try this out.

Sounds like it could be just the thing to show off the power of the Pandora.

I'm pretty sure that everyone would agree that the Pandora wouldn't be anywhere near as great as it is, without all your help, effort and expertise.

As jumpman said, you da man! :D

Here we go with the first part of my testing, got about a third of the way through my collection.

All tests were done with CPU clock at 700, "Old Frame skipping"=On and all other options as default.

I only tested to see if it was possible to get In-Game and run around a bit. I did not check saving or loading memcards since that seems to be a problem for me in most games. I also ignored sounds problems/glitches.

Code:
Game name			Region	Format	FPS	Speed	Issues
C12				PAL	Bin/Cue	35	Good	Blue tinted,glitches
Apocalypse			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Press start then crashes
Armorines			PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Chaos Break			PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Crash Bandicoot			PAL	Bin/Cue	35	slow	
G Darius			PAL	Bin/Cue	30	Full?	
Soul Blade			PAL	Bin/Cue	22	slow	Pad input is player 2
Dune 2000			PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	black fog rendering problem
Everybodies Golf		PAL	Bin/Cue	43	Full	
Tenchu				PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Tenchu 2			PAL	Bin/Cue	45	Full	
Tetris Plus			PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
TOCA 2				PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Hard crash
World is not enough		PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash to desktop
Medal of Honor			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash to desktop when level starts
Medal of Honor Underground	PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash to desktop when level starts
Resident Evil Survivor		PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Resident Evil			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	black screen
Resident Evil 2 Claire		PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Resident Evil 3			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	hangs on Explicit content screen
Exhumed				PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Parasite Eve 2			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	stuck on Published by square screen
Silent Hill			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Does the loading anim, then crashes to desktop
Grandia				PAL	Bin/Cue	35-50	Full?	
Dino Crisis			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	hangs on Explicit content screen
Final Fantasy 9 (patched)	PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	crashes
Twisted Metal world tour	PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Dead or Alive			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	crash when fighter chosen
Future Cop LAPD			PAL	Bin/Cue	40	Near Full	
Metal Gear Solid		PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Black screen
Need for Speed 4		PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	hangs on loading screen
Spiderman			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Press start then crashes
CTR patched			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	crash to desktop
Front Mission 3			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	stuck on loading screen
Hard Edge			PAL	Bin/Cue	50	Full	
Syphon Filter 1			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash as soon as .bin is chosen
Syphon Filter 2			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash as soon as .bin is chosen
Syphon Filter 3			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash as soon as .bin is chosen
Alien Trilogy			PAL	Bin/Cue	0	0	Crash to desktop when language is chosen

I'vent had chance to try this yet, but I'd like to thank you notaz (and ari64) for releasing the source. At least, we are in a position to see improvement on the ps1 emulation front.

cheers ;)

crow_riot said:
i'm just wondering... you said you've integrated the PEOPS software gpu plugin, would it be worth the effort porting one of the GL plugins to use GLES ? (source: http://www.pbernert.com/html/dev.htm)

Just to note, i dont know what special features the PSX GPU has/had, but taking a look at the sources, it seems that there are just some quad/triangle drawing routines and nothing fancy that shouldn't be available even with GLES 1.1

I agree ;-)

crow_riot said:

There's already EQ's OpenGL ES 1.1 GPU at http://code.google.com/p/psx4m/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fgpu-gles It's not using the plugin interface, so there might be a bit more work in integrating that code.

You can see that GPU code running with old psx4all dynarec on Nokia N95 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_bs4O1eFo&feature=player_embedded

Summeli said:
crow_riot said:

There's already EQ's OpenGL ES 1.1 GPU at http://code.google.com/p/psx4m/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fgpu-gles It's not using the plugin interface, so there might be a bit more work in integrating that code.

You can see that GPU code running with old psx4all dynarec on Nokia N95 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_bs4O1eFo&feature=player_embedded

wow thanks for the links. that imo makes it definitely worth a try :)

Smaller updates sounds the way to go notaz and I can also see DaveC´s desire for a more functional experience with any games that do work well too, as fiddling with settings per game, does strip the fun somewhat.

If you can ever implement per game configs for settings and controls aswell, like Picodrive, I think alot of folk would love you more than they already do.

In addition I would back support for as many file types as possible to be supported. The more compressed formats like eboots would be ideal for some, to avoid the hassles of re-conversion.

A few more tests: I will edit in all the regions/formats. after.

Better :

Music 2000 - hangs on loading screen. Did not run at all on psx4.

Overblood 2 - near perfect. Prior emu was far too slow.

Parasite Eve II - stalls on squaresoft logo. Failed on psx4.

Resi Survivor (.img) - Perfect. No sound loss in intro cutscenes like .mdf

Riven - Perfect. In PSX4 it runs but with no sound synch and occasional gfx gltches.

Wu Tang - Works well. Better speed in this emu.

Same :

Metal Gear VR missions - Same as psx4. Needs a disc swap to MGS. (Is such a trick possible via emu?)

One Piece Mansion - Perfect.

Syphon Filter series - Same story. All crash to desktop as Lobo states.

Tekken 2 - Perfect intros here but its long limbs again in game.

Worse:

Fighting Force - crashes prior to gameplay. Ran very slow on psx4.

(since fixed)
Gran Turismo - crashes to desktop on language select. Under speed on psx4.

Toy Story 2 - Playable in both. Lots of sound stutter & audio slowdown, with black lines flickering on dialog. Black lines dont occur on psx4.

I fixed Crash 3 by fresh versions of all games. Crash must have corrupted somehow but its made no diff to any other games.

Thanks again as I have really enjoyed this already. Donation on the way.

Is there anyway to implement touchscreen useage for lightgun titles?

I have created some videoes just so people can see how fast it is, this is really amazing.

Very very well done awesome work. :)

I've tested all games with 500 MHZ

Destrurtion Derby 2

Grand theft Auto

Other games that i have tried and didnt work
Vib Ribbon - crashing the emulator (drops out of the emulator)
Need for speed 3 craching the emulator (drops out of the emulator)
Twisted metal 4 - plays but have some graphical glitches.
Dukes og hazzard 2 - freeze the machine
Total driving doesent work.
Hogs of war - doesent work
Destruction derby 1 - doesent work
Italian job - - doesent work

Back