PCB production continues (2011-01-04)

didn't need to see that, makes me wonder where the hell my email is

Ditto. Queue position 400-500 (though that seems to be useless information now).

What time (UTC, or your also give your timezone) did you receive your original order confirmation email?

Dunno about his - but mine was, according to my mail client: "Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM", and I'm in the UK.

Gonna be hard not to sit around F5-ing my email all day.

D.

Dunno about his - but mine was, according to my mail client: "Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM", and I'm in the UK.

Gonna be hard not to sit around F5-ing my email all day.
Very very close then: 16:12 UTC, and we've seen people in the mid to late 1500s.

I just hope CC is finally keeping up, not that I'm saying anything; just being pessimistic, folks.

Just kidding. I really hope they've got their act together and poor batch one can be finished once and for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email yesterday afternoon and first thing this morning my Pandora arrived. :D

Congrats to FaTBoB (give us your opinion when you've had some time pls)and Olexxy.

Commiserations to Loonie! Sounds like an expensive (nostalgia wise) fall on the ice. Ouch.

Benji-Stein - There have been no alterations mould wise to the cases at all (some are planned, or thought of by the team and DaveC, including the diff electro-sparked finish).

So the cases will have the same degrees of potential bezel bowing, left side higher lid position (as a result of the hinges arrangement and cable)and potential for cracks around the USB ports to arise as prior units and I believe the rest of batch 1 and 2. Unless folk want another delay with the mould refining process to contend with?

The buttons havent been painted for awhile now either, so the current wild units are a mix of both types.

I've had two units with painted buttons and not found them a problem (only a slightly tactile and perhaps visually looser R button, that is perfectly responsive) and they look fine. I hope the unpainted ones look as good as these and function aswell, or better, if thats possible though.

Granted they're not xbox 360 pads but then again, given the number of those that have died on me, whilst my Psx, Saturn and Dreamcast ones soldier on (aswell as the units themselves)I'm not complaining.

The OPT have endeavoured first time around to make something that will last and they've given a damn enough to halt production (much to our woe) to attempt to ensure that. They've been supportive as best they could so far, with nothing but promises to themselves to pass onto us. If this MP run is really up and running now, then that's 750 boards, with enough nubs to match, additions to the LCD cable supply and the potential of faster production (as 400 boards were made during holidays, perhaps as goodwill....bah!)in just 2 weeks! Which is rivalling the entire supply in the wild thus far produced before the 6 + month delay.

I call that potential happy times :)

The Nub question seemed to be answered before you asked it, in that hopefully ED has been informed correctly and that ALL of the remaining required Nubs for at least Batch 1 if not 2 (+iCP) will be in hand by the 16th. Thats a godsend if so, as it looked like the controller pcb's for those nubs could end up the next 'shortage' problem.

How the new nubs perform in the wild is now the acid test, aswell as if CC has made the boards as well as before and if perhaps by chance, the wifi chips are better behaved. Beyond that its the dreaded LCD cables and whether in the long term, the placing tool and the potential redesigned version, accounting for the stress points hold up. As it is a truly painful moment when the Purple Haze shows itself. Or at least it was. As if MP keeps up, and if the Haze does too (hopefully not), at least it will be a fast process to return a unit for turnaround.

Its a lovely machine Benji-Stein and I hope you get yours soon and enjoy it for what it is. Dont expect perfection, as this aint a huge corporate thank fuck but what they have made already, has shown that's for the better and that if they succeed to future iterations, well hope springs eternal!

apologies for trolling, but for some reason this seems surreal, like i need something to go wrong for me to accept the reality of production finally back on track, maybe im just too used to the delays or just really need some more reviews from real customers, anyone else feel this way?

apologies for trolling, but for some reason this seems surreal, like i need something to go wrong for me to accept the reality of production finally back on track, maybe im just too used to the delays or just really need some more reviews from real customers, anyone else feel this way?
there's still the people with the issues with the video cables... that is something bad that's still out there

http://www.openpando...emid=13&lang=en

It looks like this might be a good page to follow if it's updated regularly.
Units produced so far: About 1200
PCB production schedule (directly taken from the PCB manufacturer):

First 1000 PCBs: 750 PCBs already finished, 350 are currently being assembled in UK.

Second 1000 PCBs: Waiting for updates (nubs are still missing).

how can 1200 been produced with 750 boards?

These 750 are from the last 3000 PCBs.

1000 had already been produced before the long break that was caused of the broken nubs.

Hi ED

Whats the process from here? At what rate per week/month will pandoras be getting pumped out now?

The "First 1000 PCBs" should named: "Second 1000PCBs" because the first 1000 are ready and the 350 in UK are from the second 1000 PCBs...

Hi ED

Whats the process from here? At what rate per week/month will pandoras be getting pumped out now?

That's something we can't predict until we've seen how many they are really doing.

After two weeks of production where one week had christmas holidays, I wouldn't make any real estimations.

That's something we can't predict until we've seen how many they are really doing.

After two weeks of production where one week had christmas holidays, I wouldn't make any real estimations.
Perhaps time for Trey to poke around again, time permitting.

If the final assembly place has been determined (Taiwan vs UK), the shipment of (all or part of) the remaining cases might benefit from keeping in mind the Chinese holidays. Planing delivery of those in advance so you don't run out should be fairly easy.

Just a friendly reminder. :)

Benji-Stein - There have been no alterations mould wise to the cases at all (some are planned, or thought of by the team and DaveC, including the diff electro-sparked finish).

So the cases will have the same degrees of potential bezel bowing, left side higher lid position (as a result of the hinges arrangement and cable)and potential for cracks around the USB ports to arise as prior units and I believe the rest of batch 1 and 2. Unless folk want another delay with the mould refining process to contend with?

The buttons havent been painted for awhile now either, so the current wild units are a mix of both types.

I've had two units with painted buttons and not found them a problem (only a slightly tactile and perhaps visually looser R button, that is perfectly responsive) and they look fine. I hope the unpainted ones look as good as these and function aswell, or better, if thats possible though.

Disagree. There has been no change to the mould, but that was not my question. The first 1000 cases had painted buttons. Of those, many had hand-drilled holes. This next set are of the first with no button painting, in theory. I want to confirm this. Similarly, less painting on, say, the screen bezel, would reduce the bowing, as indicated by DaveC. Is this the case? I'm not certain.

The OPT have endeavoured first time around to make something that will last and they've given a damn enough to halt production (much to our woe) to attempt to ensure that. They've been supportive as best they could so far, with nothing but promises to themselves to pass onto us. If this MP run is really up and running now, then that's 750 boards, with enough nubs to match, additions to the LCD cable supply and the potential of faster production (as 400 boards were made during holidays, perhaps as goodwill....bah!)in just 2 weeks! Which is rivalling the entire supply in the wild thus far produced before the 6 + month delay.

I call that potential happy times :)

The stopped, because they promised a working product with warranty, and they had a high failure rate. They would have gone broke from RMAs if they hadn't. Yes, they've done a lot of good things (I think; still haven't held one), but don't say it was only because they "gave a damn enough to ensure quality." 2 weeks is still two weeks, and they add up. Just like all the two months' have now been more than two years.

The Nub question seemed to be answered before you asked it, in that hopefully ED has been informed correctly and that ALL of the remaining required Nubs for at least Batch 1 if not 2 (+iCP) will be in hand by the 16th. Thats a godsend if so, as it looked like the controller pcb's for those nubs could end up the next 'shortage' problem.

If you read through it again, that wasn't my question. I saw the estimates, and I want to know what's taking so long between the start and finish, if they can do the speeds they promised. Do they have all the nub-boards they need now, or are they waiting on more still?

How the new nubs perform in the wild is now the acid test, aswell as if CC has made the boards as well as before and if perhaps by chance, the wifi chips are better behaved. Beyond that its the dreaded LCD cables and whether in the long term, the placing tool and the potential redesigned version, accounting for the stress points hold up. As it is a truly painful moment when the Purple Haze shows itself. Or at least it was. As if MP keeps up, and if the Haze does too (hopefully not), at least it will be a fast process to return a unit for turnaround.

Its a lovely machine Benji-Stein and I hope you get yours soon and enjoy it for what it is. Dont expect perfection, as this aint a huge corporate thank fuck but what they have made already, has shown that's for the better and that if they succeed to future iterations, well hope springs eternal!

I don't expect perfection, though it's a little sad when OPT originally marketed the device as "they'll wait until it's perfect", at least in hardware - software can be rough around the edges and always improved later. However, MarioPandio, while I appreciate your response, many of your answers have missed my questions entirely. I want to know how the nubs hare doing in their latest tests, specifically what's different in the cases, and just more details in general about the fallout/follow-up from the CC-fiasco. I think only someone with first-person experience here can answer these. Perhaps since ED's just been responding, he'll answer mine as well?

If the final assembly place has been determined (Taiwan vs UK), the shipment of (all or part of) the remaining cases might benefit from keeping in mind the Chinese holidays. Planing delivery of those in advance so you don't run out should be fairly easy.

Just a friendly reminder. :)

Seconded. I've worried about this previously.

The same thing applies to the TV out cables, since they're shipped from the same company.

Have they been OKed yet?

Back