Paper Wars

ah ok, no more build... :(
all right, i'll wait until the finish of the competition ;)

ps: i read on your twitter account:
finally, killed off the flicker in Map Wars level ... now it looks AMAZIN
, what it means?

kayuz said:
, what it means?

The Caanoo's z-depth buffer is no good, so polygons that lay over each other have a tendency to flicker through each other. Crow and I have put in about a week of work trying to minimize this. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
traylorpark said:
kayuz said:
, what it means?

The Caanoo's z-depth buffer is no good, so polygons that lay over each other have a tendency to flicker through each other. Crow and I have put in about a week of work trying to minimize this. <_<

You shouldn't keep polygons too close together despite the z-buffer being good or not. For overlays and stuff like that you should try to keep them a few units away from the surface it should be covering. Generally it can help to adjust the camera's min range to rid of the flickering of polygons overlapping each other.

yeh, now i'm back from festival trip. exhausted but now i hope work will continue as before.

i've tried to use glPolygonOffset to get rid off the flickering issue, but it's not working on the caanoo - just another issue of the incomplete GLES drivers :-(
but peter did a great job fixing the map and now it looks awesome!

crow_riot said:
yeh, now i'm back from festival trip. exhausted but now i hope work will continue as before.

i've tried to use glPolygonOffset to get rid off the flickering issue, but it's not working on the caanoo - just another issue of the incomplete GLES drivers :-(
but peter did a great job fixing the map and now it looks awesome!

According to the manual "each fragment's depth value will be offset after it is interpolated from the depth values of the appropriate vertices." So it should only offset the depth value, but as i understand it, your problem is that there is not enough resolution in the depth buffer, right? Or is it an entire object you are offsetting?

I think the best idea is to keep track of how close the closest object is to the camera, and set the zNear clipping plane accordingly, in order to increase the depth buffer resolution.

/Uni

Err...
Which GL_DEPTH_TEST do you use? What do you put into glDepthFunc( ) ?
In AAAA we use distance 6553 from camera to the "screen".
And it's very useful to pull vertexes in the direction of light normal.

Don Miguel said:
Err...
Which GL_DEPTH_TEST do you use? What do you put into glDepthFunc( ) ?
In AAAA we use distance 6553 from camera to the "screen".
And it's very useful to pull vertexes in the direction of light normal.

doesnt matter what i put in the depth func, the polygons were co-planar and thus started to flicker no matter using GL_LESS or GL_EQUAL.
glPolygonOffset would be sufficient for reducing flicker without actually having to modify the geometry.
but as it's not working, i had to go another route - and that was what you suggested. i just offset the vertices into the normals direction - and some parts were fixed by peter :)

What's about GL_LEQUAL? ^_^
And do you choose a stable sort algorithm?
That means, if you put the variables a,b,c on the stack with the values a=2, b=3 and c=2, that the order stays intact, so that the sorted row would be:
a,c,b (and not maybe c,a,B).
I hope you sort your vertices / meshes in general...

greetings, Ziz

Ziz said:

yeah i'm using that, just a typo.

anyway, thanks for all your suggestions, the flickering is no longer an issue (and never was on my windows binary with 24 bit depth buffer ;))

lisalover1 said:
My eyeballs. They exploded. The PSP's got nothing on this. :D

Do you have any real game screen-shots? I want to look at the game screenies, too!

crow_riot, do you use BLENDER for 3D modelling?

Ziz said:
And do you choose a stable sort algorithm?
That means, if you put the variables a,b,c on the stack with the values a=2, b=3 and c=2, that the order stays intact, so that the sorted row would be:
a,c,b (and not maybe c,a, B) .
I hope you sort your vertices / meshes in general...

greetings, Ziz

I don't want to sounds stupid (too late), but sorting vertices... huh? Why do you sort the vertices? What do you sort, and what do you gain?

/Uni

u9i said:
I don't want to sounds stupid (too late), but sorting vertices... huh? Why do you sort the vertices? What do you sort, and what do you gain?
/Uni

Err... Did you mean to sort faces, right?

Don Miguel said:
u9i said:
/Uni
Err... Did you mean to sort faces, right?
Indeed. <_<
But sorting faces makes sense to economize fill rate.

Don Miguel said:
Do you have any real game screen-shots? I want to look at the game screenies, too!

crow_riot, do you use BLENDER for 3D modelling?

traylorpark is the art guy - so i'll leave that up to him if he want's to share some screenshots/pictures. and yes, he's using blender.

i have a question: when we play video games in the competition?
I like so much the competition but i won't wait too for play these fantastic games ;)

kayuz said:
i have a question: when we play video games in the competition?
I like so much the competition but i won't wait too for play these fantastic games ;)
There's not much to play until the games are actually finished and bug fixed.

Back