Advancing Wars

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Is there any interest in a crossover game in the style of Plants Vs Zombies, but done with Advance Wars style imagery?

advancing_wars.PNG

Actual in-game shot, not a mock up. The enemy hasn't appeared yet.

I've put another game on hold while I played with this concept and have a very early working prototype, where players can build/place units on a game board and have attributes attached to them (like the buildings generating money, rather than sunshine etc.) The Advance Wars elements cover lots of eventualities, including land, sea and air battles.

I've recently got into PvZ, which I understand is a Tower Defence style game. I've never played any other TD game, so I don't know if PvZ is a good example, but I like it. So anyone else interested in seeing where this might go?

Obviously, this is very early WIP territory and may ultimately lead nowhere, depending on interest.

Not hqving played Adv Wars, but if you're using ripped art... Just ask and probably someine in the boards can help replace it. Big N is nit kniwn for their friendliness :)

Jeff

Orion64: This game is not Advance Wars; the gameplay is/will be very different.

Skeezix: The graphics are merely place-holders at the moment - I wanted to get something up and running as proof of concept, to see how it plays; I'll replace them myself once the game has matured.

As for Nintendo being hard on remakers and freeware games - you'd be surprised. There are literally thousands of freeware games based on Nintendo IP. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo has not issued any Cease & Desist orders to anyone that has infringed their copyright or used their IP in a freeware game/app.

I've been in the remaking scene for over 10 years (I'm a Manager over at RetroRemakes.com) and seen only a handful of C&Ds, and most have been from one company - Odin Computer Graphics. One other of note (EDGE games) even had the balls to demand the source code of a pc remake of Fairlight - the creator (Richard jordan) told them to feck off and the game went (unfortunately) unreleased. Nothing has been heard from Nintendo (I created a pc version of Mario Picross in Div years ago and heard nothing myself). Of course, a C&D is always possible and if that occurs then all copyright material will be removed (if it hasn't been already)

(Aside, don't mean to hijack; I keep meaning to submit a couple things to the Retro Remakes compos but Pandora ate too much time up :)

There was definately a few C&D's from Big N; I forget most of them, but for sure a couple Zelda remakes got shut down. I know a couple fan films got C&D's and couldn't release, and likewise piles of Pokemon sites got into some hot water. (ie: fan movies would only be half related to N properties, but original story and props etc, and stuff like Pokemon would be due to using N artwork assets.) In general, N has shown some hostility, but I forget details offhand. (I had to stay clear of them for a few things many years ago, but lets not get into that :) Still, a Pokemon fan made MMO game, crushed; a full length fan movie, crushed.. and those you can find links to all over the intertubes.

Stuff like Picross can't be attacked, since its not an original game; its like, you can copy Popcap games till you're blue in the face, as most of them are in turn clones of other games. But N is well known to have patented random emulation technologies and to post anti-emulation falsities on their website, etc, so they're to be watched for.

(Can't blame them for supporting themselves, or protecting their assets, but they're certainly not a 100% good citizen)

jeff

Stuff like Picross can't be attacked, since its not an original game;
I remade Mario Picross, not just Picross. It had Mario and other characters from the same universe and many pieces of Mario music.

I'm aware of the movies, but I'd not heard of any fan-games being shut down - and RR hears lots about Nintendo and SEGA games (there's been a wealth of Donkey Kong remakes lately, not sure why and there's still hundreds of games that haven't been C&D'd. But anyway, the point is moot - the images seen above are not likely to stay long.

:)

Nintendo isn't so harsh on their fans these days. As long as you aren't pirating games for their system they don't really care. They've even come out to say that they're happy to see their fans doing things like this.

Looks like a very interesting project to me, Ian. The Advance Wars series are my favorite games on GBA and NDS. And Plants vs Zombies is very funny. I always wanted to buy it over Steam but found no time yet.

Work is progressing nicely, albeit slowly due to work commitments. I'll up a demo once I've got a couple of properly playable levels, so that'll help people to understand exactly what this is.

iprice said:
Work is progressing nicely, albeit slowly due to work commitments. I'll up a demo once I've got a couple of properly playable levels, so that'll help people to understand exactly what this is.

any news about his project?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got really busy at home and work and put this on the back-burner and totally forgot all about it. It is something I would like to complete though. I just can't right now. Sorry. I don't want to abandon Wiz/GP2X, but I'm now devving for iOS and WebOS right now - need to earn some pennies.

iprice said:
I got really busy at home and work and put this on the back-burner and totally forgot all about it. It is something I would like to complete though. I just can't right now. Sorry. I don't want to abandon Wiz/GP2X, but I'm now devving for iOS and WebOS right now - need to earn some pennies.

ok, i wish you finally release this game. Good luck friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back