Super Famicom Wars

Phil

FAPPO!
Website
Visit site
Super Famicom Wars

Preface:
My friend told me about a prequel to advance wars he saw in an NGC mag for super famicom, I kinda believed him, but I couldn’t find any evidence of it. So I left it alone, then I saw an odd entry in the top 100 games in GP32Spain. To my surprise it was called Super Famicom Wars. After some hard searching I found it. And in all honesty it is one of the finest gaming experiences of my life.

Graphics:
Think Advance wars but a bit more detailed, a lot of unit sprites are the same or similar. You see the detail in the info screens for every one unit there are probably three sprites for that one unit. It has a cute funny intro, and the capture building screens are varied and entertaining, it’s a game polished to a fine shine.

Sound:
Pointless in OS9XGP now because there is no sound but in PC emus it has selective theme songs, nice unit sounds, good battle sound and all-round nice SFX.

Playability:
This games is perpetually playable no game is the same BUT and it’s a big BUT it’s bloody hard. But that what makes it bloody fun. A single map can take half a day to complete. It has all the possibilities for cunning strategic ploys, Blitzkrieg tactics (my fav) and hammer em’ constantly wit big guns.

General:
It’s a fantastic game, it is better than Advance wars, it has more units, bigger maps, railways, more maps a fantastic multiplayer, (you can have 4 people playing on your gp) and fun for all the family.

Compatibility:
Sigh; there are only two problems with this game:

1. Transparency issues: In OS9XGP you can’t see where you can go. It’s the lack of transparency. But there is a clever way around it; select your unit, move the joystick to where you want to go and where it stops you can go to. After a while you will become more comfortable with it, it helps if you’ve played Adv wars.

2. It’s in Japanese! Which makes it uncomfortable but playable, but there is slow progress on a translation but no patch available. (See Below)

I give it:
bf_new.gif
bf_new.gif
bf_new.gif
bf_new.gif
bf_new.gif

(5/5)
Image255.jpg
Image171.jpg

Image172.jpg
Image173.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, we have got an AdvanceWars port for GP32, but this is in aspects of animation a little better than it - so it's worth a try. Just check out the intro and you already know what I mean. :)
And once you found out, which menus do what, you don't care that it is in Japanese.

i highly doubt we'll see this project finished before the end of the year, much less next summer either.. they are taking their sweet time, heh heh. no need to nag though, i have talked to that guy before (obviously there's a lot on his plate!) Maybe I will drop him a line again and see what's going on. that game looks like it would be superfun to play...

i wonder why they diddnt see a western launch back then,

and what made em change there mind to release it for the gba with advance wars..... would have played it to death on the snes, used to love games like this

sensible GP32 posted on Jul 13 2004 at 11:15 AM said:
i wonder why they diddnt see a western launch back then,

and what made em change there mind to release it for the gba with advance wars..... would have played it to death on the snes, used to love games like this
Easy, it was released in 98, when the snes was basicly bowing out, it was one of snes classic swan songs along with rockman and forte and smario rpg.

got an email from the guy doing the translation for SF wars, thought you might be interested in the reply I got
It hasn't moved much since the last update. I'm still stuck with the
problem I had when I first put it on hold. But I also just got an email
today from someone else who might be able to help with the programming. If
he can find a way to work around it, a release might not be too far away.
And thanks for the email!

See if he can release a beta version with just the menus done or something. Thats basically all you need to play the game because I doubt anyone cares about the story line.

frolik posted on Jul 14 2004 at 08:09 PM said:
got an email from the guy doing the translation for SF wars, thought you might be interested in the reply I got
It hasn't moved much since the last update. I'm still stuck with the
problem I had when I first put it on hold. But I also just got an email
today from someone else who might be able to help with the programming. If
he can find a way to work around it, a release might not be too far away.
And thanks for the email!
cool, i wish i thought of emailing him, as i love the game.

Hi all!

Having some problems get the getting that Super Famicom Wars rom-set working with my BLU (non-plus) & OSNES 0,3. All I get is a black screen and thats it. I can still access the emu-menue so no freeze-up or something has happend.

I tryed 3 different sets from different sources - no luck at all.
In the name-strings of all this rom-sets there is an "(NP)" standing on the end. Does this maybe mean "Non-Playable"?

Hope somebody can help because I love to play this war-strategy-games.

Thanks,

mr.white

Hello again,

I know this is an old review but maybe someone can tell me at least which version of OSNES should work with this game 0.2 or 0.3???

Thanks,

mr.white

Back