Paper Wars

I'll be showing that off by this weekend I'm thinking.
ohohoooooh.... i can't resist more::... :D I want it! from I have understand, this game will be a real time strategic game or turn based?

well not only you - i wish i could be faster, but free time is limited with a fulltime job; and sometimes when you code for a living and code for fun, the fun part suffers :)

well not only you - i wish i could be faster, but free time is limited with a fulltime job; and sometimes when you code for a living and code for fun, the fun part suffers
i'am dreaming for , for play Paper Wars... on caanoo...pleaseee! :rolleyes:

Well, before anybody hurt themselves in anticipation, give this build a shot.
Its mega alpha and doesn't have any neato level artwork yet (all of the art is WIP for that matter)... but the game mechanics are mostly all in now.

The real focus of this build is Crow-Riot's tremendous amount of work getting all the systems working. The AI, the grids, the everything working correctly ... that's all him. He deserves heaps of credit and a lot of beers.

I'll be detailing the "gameplay" and "how-to's" tomorrow. But for those who wanna try and figure out the game without any hand holding ... here you go!

Paper Wars 5-29-11

Feedback wise, we'd really love to hear all of your crits. Anything that is frustrating about the game, anything that makes it less fun then it potentially could be, we wanna hear it! :lol:

Be sure to try some 2 player hot seat action as well.
Have fun!

The first thing I thought when trying this was a level editor for people to create their own levels and sharing them with the community. How hard would that be to inact?

The game controls where good with the exception of the touchscreen being a little unresponsive the further you're zoomed out. I lost everytime I tried it which made me wish that there were advantages a unit could have in certain instances. Like attacking from the high ground for example.

So far it's looking great, keep it up guys!!!

OMG! it's fabolous! :) :)
yes, i think too a editor will be very beautiful!
of the rest, i think you can add a environment elements, like lake,rivers and forest... and enventually add a battle mod for this elements: like if you are in a forest the attack will be weaker...
what else; add the textures for the ground and the music ;)
and the last suggestions, if you can add the multiplayer game with the wireless... local or by internet... ops, i'm too dreaming! :)
anyway great work guys! ;)

Guys! Thanks for being the first ones to try out the game! I'm really happy to read your feedback.

Firstly, as cool as a level editor would be, it would be a tremendous amount of work to put one in. Currently, nothing is tile based, the level is being designed completely in Blender and exported into a special format Crow has cooked up. I doubt many of you want to learn Blender enough to make levels in it ;)

Wireless multiplayer is of course a dream. I'll let Dr. Crow speak to the viability of that. However I know it would take a lot of work and currently we are just focusing on making a great single player/hot seat multiplayer game.

Terrain variables such as height advantages are a cool idea and was something we considered earlier. Perhaps we shall consider it again.

The game camera control methods will probably be revised for useability. The long distance clicking won't be much a problem once that is done.

Lastly, I said I would say something about the actual map art ... well ... here is an image to unrealistically wet your expectations ;)

1.jpg

Very nice. It was actually hard to win over the computer, but after a long battle (and several losses), i finally managed.

Ideas for after the competition probably:

- level editor (if possible to get models of the level auto-generated)
- high ground has advantage
- being adjacent to city provides units with extra defense (and maybe, just maybe a little auto healing)
- intelligent camera. The camera should "know" what i want to do. If you get the camera controls down to just the analogue stick, i think we have a winner. I have some ideas. E.g. with the analogue stick you move the point you want to look at, while the camera automatically moves and zooms to capture the relevant units close by.
- black outline around font so it is visible against white background
- EDIT: Of course, multiplayer over network

I haven't figured out cities health, and the production rate of the factories. What is the story with these? Also, something to try out is only having one move per turn. Have you considered trying that? It might be good, it might be bad.

With the right feedback, this will be a very good game methinks.

/Uni

i've read through the wall of text above. thanks for you comments and suggestions!

there's still lots of stuff on our lists, but it was overdue to release this build - we wanted to be at this state 2 weeks ago. we're a "bit" behind our schedule ;)

the camera code is still just what i have in my base/skeleton code, so this is nothing specific for this game; we wanted to get the game going before dealing with the "fancy" stuff :). we did very well with approaching this, as we started using what was there and continued to refine it during development.

level editor - as peter said - nothing is tile based and the first upcoming level will be totally handcrafted (and looks awesome from the renderings i've seen!). this is what is planned; what i can think of right now is, that you can place units and buildings on existing maps, also random placement to increase replayability of the maps. it's very labour intensive for peter, but the looks is so crucial to the game that we've also scrapped one of my early stuff having a random map generator in place.
though ... what could be possible is, that peter creates template meshes that users can put together and create a map out of that... hey i actually like the idea right now :D ... we need to talk about that! anyone played trackmania? something like their level editor would indeed be a great thing to have ;)

multiplayer gaming is of course somthing i was having in mind; the basic mechanics of the game aren't too difficult either - in fact it's just a bunch of commands that are available - and i have also gathered some experience in this field due to work, so it's not off the table; and of course to create a modern game, network play isnt something you should leave out if it's possible :)

terrain advantages are on the plan (at least in some code as a comment ;)) - this will be done while balancing i guess/hope, which in turn is also undone.

well ... i could put tons of stuff here that are still on our todo (sound effects, music, animations, ...); so stay tuned for the next build. it's only the beginning :)

I think for the local multiplayer you can use the Ad Hoc connection available in the options of the Caanoo... I know that the MAME already support this. ;)

u9i said:
Crow_riot, have you tried with only 1 move per turn?

nope, not yet. but will give it a try :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Miguel said:
Thumbs up!!
too bad, i have no CAANOO myself to test.. B) Gotta wait for reviews and so

dont worry, i will tidy up the windows build so that a broader range of people can play/test it B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back