Paper Wars

Gah, so much working.
So little posting...

Just to show you we aren't dead...

Here is a city that has recently been captured

*note - tanks can't capture cities
wooww, the work proceds very good!! but for the beta? :rolleyes:

well beta, uh, might be postboned. real life and job hit me.
still a lot of stuff on my todo list, maybe a first playable (but by far not finished) demo will be ready this weekend or the days after.

and yes, thats an ingame screenshot. nothing "faked" or reworked. it's real, as far it can be ;)

i've resumed working more now, here's a screenshot of what we've got at running at the moment ...
well since it's WIP the looks may change of course - but you get the idea ...

paperwars-wip-ingame-01.jpg

[sub]i hope peter doesn't kill me posting this[/sub]

WONDERFUL! I want it !!! :) :) ;)
I have a question, however, when the contest is finished, the game, will be free downloadable for caanoo users or will to pay?

from what we've planned the game will be free for opensource handhelds :)

crow_riot said:
from what we've planned the game will be free for opensource handhelds :)

We love you guys, that much!

Last edited by a moderator:
i can't resist!! i wanna play it!!! :unsure: :unsure: how the work proceds? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perhaps this coming weekend we'll put out something. :)
Player feedback gonna be crucial for us.

And I'm gonna try and update this with more dev stuff on a more regular basis. Haven't been too good about that recently.

u9i said:
damn Damn DAMN! Looks fantastic. traylorpark, you should come to Denmark to work for a year. We have the little mermaid ;)

hey i also want to come to denmark! ;)

*edit*
just another screenie i'd like to share:

paperwars-wip-ingame-02.jpg

again everything could be subject to change ;)

Perhaps this coming weekend we'll put out something.
Player feedback gonna be crucial for us.
so, this coming week you put out the beta? i'am waiting :rolleyes:

kayuz said:
so, this coming week you put out the beta? i'am waiting :rolleyes:

Beta? No probably not.
Something more along the lines of Alpha...

Here is your first glimpse of a really real designed map!
After sketches, plans and flow charts ... this is it boiled down to a series of hexes.
This is pretty much all the traversable terrain for the units.

map1_hex.png

The next step is for Dr. Crow to get it in engine and adapt what we already have to work with it.
I will go about crafting a paper world around the hexes. Your not really supposed to see the hexes :ph34r:

Start forming your strategies for paper domination!

Beta? No probably not.
Something more along the lines of Alpha...

Here is your first glimpse of a really real designed map!
After sketches, plans and flow charts ... this is it boiled down to a series of hexes.
This is pretty much all the traversable terrain for the units.

The next step is for Dr. Crow to get it in engine and adapt what we already have to work with it.
I will go about crafting a paper world around the hexes. Your not really supposed to see the hexes

Start forming your strategies for paper domination!
thanks for your hard work ;)

after a few minor and major heart attacks and head-against-wall-moments on my side we finally managed to get the map working within the game.

paperwars-wip-ingame-03.jpg

just to note, the map will not be visible, this is just for object movement+placement! we'll see what peter is going to pull out of his hat! :D

Hey, a working update!

So, I've been playing a load of the game recently, scrutinizing every little gameplay detail. I've never designed a map for a strategy game before, so its a very interesting challenge, balancing the map to be fair on for each team while still being visually interesting and hopefully asymmetrical.

Something else that Dr. Crow and I are realizing, is that our game is a different beast from anything we've played before. The gameplay style is kind of half way between turn based and realtime. Since the player only has 3 moves per turn, choosing where to focus your attention becomes critical.

For example, you might have to decide if you hold off healing a Copter (uses 1 move) to move another 2 units into a position where they can intercept an encroaching Soldier going to capture a city. But you better time that heal well, because the enemy just made a tank, and that's going to mess up your frontline assault if you don't take it out in a couple turns.

Figuring out what the strengths are in this particular style of game is going to be paramount. We've decided not to take the easy way out and totally mimic other turn based games. We're trying something new here.

We are really going to need the input of the community to figure out what you all like and don't like. What works and what doesn't.

With regards to the alpha/beta/compiled code, Dr. Crow has a little more magic to work and squash a couple more bugs. I'm really psyched to let you guys start playing!

And, the magic in my hat ... I'll be showing that off by this weekend I'm thinking.

Back