I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, but if there's really not much support for them, having them in the poll wouldn't matter
Except that having a lot of choices spreads the voting thinner, as we saw in the last poll. Even though Pyra and Miriad were very clear winners, combined they only accounted for 45% of the total votes. Some would argue that with 55% of the population not choosing them it clearly means that neither was good enough. Throw a bunch more choices on there and we'll be left with the same situation, and no doubt there will be even more name suggestions. If we keep repeating the voting just because there are more names suggested then it would never be done.

I would choose Pyra over Miriad simply because I can't see myself ever proudly calling any device I own a "Miriad". However, I have some issues with the spelling. The original spelling is "Pyrrha" pronounced "P rah" (http://translate.google.com/#en/el/Pyrrha). However, English pronunciation suggests that it should be pronounced "Pie rah" (http://translate.google.com/#el/en/Pyra).

Please use the original spelling (Pyrrha) or at least something that is indicative of the original pronunciation (Pyrra, Pirra, Pira)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
- "Pyra" is a simplification of Pyrrha, who was the daughter of Pandora in Ancient Greek mythology. Her name is derived from the word πῦρ (pur), which means "fire" (in fact the English word "fire", the German word "Feuer", the Dutch "vuur" ultimately have the same origin). Obviously fire and dragons are related - dragons can breathe fire - so there is also a link to EvilDragon / DragonBox.
souds more like pyro derivated from pyromanic - i.e. fire and flames are fitting for a dragon!
Wasn't it the other way round?
According to wiktionary:

pyro (plural pyros)

1. (slang) a pyromaniac
  2. pyrocellulose
  3. pyrotechnician
  4. pyrotechnics
  5. (archaic, chiefly photography) pyrogallic acid
So "pyro" does indeed seem to be used as a shortened word for pyromaniac. But of course "pyro" in itself only means fire, you have to add the "maniac" to add the obsession/insanity element:

Late Latin maniacus, from Ancient Greek μανιακός (maniakos), adjectival form of μανία (mania, “madness”).

For those who want to know where the names are coming from:

- "Pyra" is a simplification of Pyrrha, who was the daughter of Pandora in Ancient Greek mythology. Her name is derived from the word πῦρ (pur), which means "fire" (in fact the English word "fire", the German word "Feuer", the Dutch "vuur" ultimately have the same origin). Obviously fire and dragons are related - dragons can breathe fire - so there is also a link to EvilDragon / DragonBox.

- "Miriad" is an alternative spelling of "Myriad" ("Myriad" itself is already trademarked), which means "ten thousand" in Ancient Greek. In English and most other modern languages, "myriad" just means "a very large number", as in "this device has myriads of possible uses" or "it can emulate a myriad retro-games". The name does not have a specific connection to Pandora or EvilDragon / DragonBox.

I think anglofied that would make it pyrae, following standard rules. The greek word that is present in pyrrah has its origins in Proto-Indo-European *péh₂ur

of which http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pyra#Latin is derived.

To me fire is rebirth just as much as it is death, which is fitting.

Could the codename-moniker be expanded to include other names in latin, maybe classical elements?

Wind: aura or spiritus, spirits are said to be in the wind. Same connection in other languages.

Water: unda imber/inber

Earth: solum, liro

Or other fire related things, old-english ǣmyrge (ember), Proto-Germanic *aima (“ashes”) Keeping with latin, or things ending in -a, whatever is fitting.

I'll admit, the name Pyra is growing on me.

Since Pyra is basically a simplified version of Pyrrha (daughter of Pandora). I think the name is very fitting. Thanks for pointing this out, _wb_

The sound of it alone has a nice ring, a spin-off of the word Pandora.

The sound of it alone has a nice ring, a spin-off of the word Pandora.
It will sound fine to me when it's spelled so that it doesn't sound like "Pie rah".

-God Ginrai
In most non-English languages (at least in Dutch, French, and German; I will not make claims about other languages), it would sound like "pee rah" - afaik only English can pronounce a Y as in pie. Even in English, I'd think that most people would say "pee rah", like in "pyramid".

Dem payramids gettem did dangon keareooke!

In other news, pronounce it like its pronounced and you are fine, for once even english isnt to blame. ÛUUUUUU^UUüüüU^UUUU^UÛÛÛÛYYYYYØØØØ

The blog system company and gamer mouse each called Pyra are no problem then?

And the fact that Pyra has ten times more google hits than miriad?

Well, Pyra is not registered for a computer device, at least not in Europe, which is where I plan to register it.

Google hits are a different thing though.

As mentioned, I'm not sure myself which to take, both sound good to me.

Pyra is the best of the two choices IMO

I know the whole "you can't misspell a made up name", but if the word/name already exists, people will auto-assume it was a typo. At least that's how I see it.

"

"Pyra" has 986,000 results, "Myriad" has 312,000. You have a strange definition of "ten" ;)

Also, when I typed "Miriad" the first few times, Google automatically corrected me to "Myriad", which has 12,400,000 results. After I have undone the auto-correction a few times, Google now no longer auto-corrects me - it now just asks "Did you mean: myriad" without automatically going to the results for "Myriad", but still, in a way you could say that Miriad has ten times more google hits than Pyra because probably most newcomers will get to see the auto-"corrected" results.

Pyra, short and easy to pronounce in many many different languages. Please make that one the successor's name!

Even in English, I'd think that most people would say "pee rah", like in "pyramid".
I'm with vcoleiro on this.  I suspect that most native English speakers would pronounce Pyra  (and Pyragon) to sound like Pie-rah.  I remember wondering when you first proposed it why you would suggest a spelling change with such a different pronunciation.

Incidentally, the first syllable of pyramid has a different sound to it it again,  quite unlike either Pyrrha or Pyra.  (sounds more like Pure)

- Neelix

Imo this makes no odds whatsoever.

We had a similar discussion at work about this and our own seo.

It don't matter that Pyra already has more results.

If someone is searching for the word "pyra" then they already know about the product therefore what they want, so the other pyra results don't matter.

What you need to work on is the actual terms that people who don't know about the product will search for...

...making sure that when someone types "linux computer" or "emulation console" that Pyra/Dragonbox pages come up in those results

Even in English, I'd think that most people would say "pee rah", like in "pyramid".
I'm with vcoleiro on this. I suspect that most native English speakers would pronounce Pyra (and Pyragon) to sound like Pie-rah. I remember wondering when you first proposed it why you would suggest a spelling change with such a different pronunciation.

Incidentally, the first syllable of pyramid has a different sound to it it again, quite unlike either Pyrrha or Pyra. (sounds more like Pure)

- Neelix
I'd have to disagree, as an English speaker myself, I don't know of anyone either who would say it like this.

The fact it has the "y" there, we would pronounce it "pie rah"... As in "pyrotechnics" or "python" or "pylon"

Which is fine, I prefer that sound anyway myself than "pee rah"

Edit: agreeing with neelix though, I see my quoting there could look otherwise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back