• Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well well, it seems like we got two favourites, looking at the last poll.

Some people suggested I choose my favourite name, but the issue is... I'm not really sure what of those two my favourite is.

I both like Pyra and Miriad, for various reasons, but it's hard to decide.

First off, both sound great, in my opinion.

I'm not scared of anyone thinking "Miriad is just wrongly spelled", as new devices don't NEED existing names - if the device establishes itself, so will the name.

It will become naturally overtime, regardless if it's Pyra or Miriad.

I also think both work fine in most languages, easy to remember and to spell.

Pyra is a bit more easy to remember correctly once you read it, but Miriad has some interesting ring as well.

Also, Pyra is a bit like Pandora, with a P at the beginning and a at the end, which is neat as well.

So well... I'm a bit torn here, but I know both names would work perfectly well, so I'm not scared of the result :)

Here's the final vote - which will be closed end of December 22nd.

Only one vote this time - so decide what you like best!

And christmas time we'll know what name we'll have!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance of using Dragonbox as a brand name?  I really like the idea of calling it the Dragonbox Pyra, than the next gen could be Dragonbox "insert name here" and so forth.

^That was the plan, read the poll description.

Do you have any reasons for not including some of the names suggested in the last poll?  Tesseract, HyCu etc.?

I know the discussion for new names was up long ago, but some people don't seem happy with either of the above choices.  Not me personally - I don't mind either, but it might help resolve some debate if you could say why you're not happy with other names - legal, personal preference, or just 'you had your chance'?

Ah my bad.  Sometimes when I read I tend to gloss over stuff.  Bad habit.

Do you have any reasons for not including some of the names suggested in the last poll? Tesseract, HyCu etc.?
Because they weren't suggested early enough?

If you always hold out for a better name, you'll never have a name at all.

I don't remember much support for those either. Just a few strongly worded posts from a few members

That's true, but if there's really not much support for them, having them in the poll wouldn't matter.  Like I say, I'd be happy for ED to say that there was a line in the sand, and new names weren't up for discussion once the last poll was started, but nobody closed the suggestions thread that I saw, so that kept going.

I just think having ED clarify the situation would stem off potentially unhelpful discussion from this thread.  I hope I haven't started that unhelpful discussion with my own post!

what will be will be...

...I'm sure there's a nice French term we adopt here for that :) C'est la ve [?]

I'm also happy for whatever ED opts for, though I think I'd prefer to be saying "Pass me my Pyra please" one day

For those who want to know where the names are coming from:

- "Pyra" is a simplification of Pyrrha, who was the daughter of Pandora in Ancient Greek mythology. Her name is derived from the word πῦρ (pur), which means "fire" (in fact the English word "fire", the German word "Feuer", the Dutch "vuur" ultimately have the same origin). Obviously fire and dragons are related - dragons can breathe fire - so there is also a link to EvilDragon / DragonBox.

- "Miriad" is an alternative spelling of "Myriad" ("Myriad" itself is already trademarked), which means "ten thousand" in Ancient Greek. In English and most other modern languages, "myriad" just means "a very large number", as in "this device has myriads of possible uses" or "it can emulate a myriad retro-games". The name does not have a specific connection to Pandora or EvilDragon / DragonBox.

Pyra it is then.

Time to start trying to squeeze in time for logo designs. Monochrome. Colour and shading can be added afterwards - we need something that is simple, with impact to emboss on the case.

For those who want to know where the names are coming from:

- "Pyra" is a simplification of Pyrrha, who was the daughter of Pandora in Ancient Greek mythology. Her name is derived from the word πῦρ (pur), which means "fire" (in fact the English word "fire", the German word "Feuer", the Dutch "vuur" ultimately have the same origin). Obviously fire and dragons are related - dragons can breathe fire - so there is also a link to EvilDragon / DragonBox.

- "Miriad" is an alternative spelling of "Myriad" ("Myriad" itself is already trademarked), which means "ten thousand" in Ancient Greek. In English and most other modern languages, "myriad" just means "a very large number", as in "this device has myriads of possible uses" or "it can emulate a myriad retro-games". The name does not have a specific connection to Pandora or EvilDragon / DragonBox.

You missed that Miriad could be derived from the myriad of people in the community working on and contributing to the project.

souds more like pyro derivated from pyromanic - i.e. fire and flames are fitting for a dragon!

^ It it going to be the last one, reading the thread title ;)
Next there will be a poll on a middle name for it.  

@ghostpatch,  I voted Pyra, but I have always thought Pyro would have been a great name for it to, Fire starter - or starting something new.  Oh well, Pyra is still good and more unique I guess.

souds more like pyro derivated from pyromanic - i.e. fire and flames are fitting for a dragon!
Wasn't it the other way round?

I think it's also good that Pyra doesn't really conflict with any existing names in current use. The company that made Blogger was called Pyra, apparently, before they were bought out by Google, but I doubt that matters now that they no longer exist, and considering that it was a company name and not the name of a product. I like the rich etymology that the word has in relation to Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back