Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DragonBox leads to an uncertain path.
thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif
Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonBox leads to an uncertain path.
Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.
 Yeah it's my opinion,  that's why I wrote "I think" and "what do you think about?". And thanks for your response but I was asking for another opinion or argument man.

Maybe someone have the same opinion as me or will be convinced by my argument, that's what a discussion serves to, to exchange opinion and argument.

So mine doesn't count.. only others.. I see how it is. Don't mind me I'll be gently weeping in the corner..

If it's called "DragonBox Pyra" then most likely people will call it "Pyra". People rarely use the full names; you don't typically say "Sony PlayStation", "Microsoft Xbox", "Nintendo Wii", "Apple iPad", "Samsung Galaxy Note", "Google Android", "Microsoft Windows", "Canonical Ubuntu", etc.

For a successor of the successor -- who knows what we will do then. Maybe Pyra 2? Maybe Thyia or some other child of Pyrrha? Maybe Miriad? Maybe something completely different?

ok, im also in the pyra camp now! :)
first i liked miriad better, because it has some 'mirical' sound to me, but after reading
the meaning behind the name pyra, i switched! ;)
so for me... i welcome our new overlord pyra! :) ))

*pyrates go!*

If it's called "DragonBox Pyra" then most likely people will call it "Pyra". People rarely use the full names; you don't typically say "Sony PlayStation", "Microsoft Xbox", "Nintendo Wii", "Apple iPad", "Samsung Galaxy Note", "Google Android", "Microsoft Windows", "Canonical Ubuntu", etc.

For a successor of the successor -- who knows what we will do then. Maybe Pyra 2? Maybe Thyia or some other child of Pyrrha? Maybe Miriad? Maybe something completely different?
Oh, I dont want to go thru this gain for the successor of PYRA. Just tell ED to call it PYRA 2 and save the breath for more technical discussions :)

Well, we could stick with ancient Greek characters and just not go with the familial line.  Dragonbox Artemis?  Dragonbox Aura?  Dragonbox Ganymede (and then I can pretend we were sticking with moons of the gas giants)?  Dragonbox Persephone, if ED was feeling particularly evil?

I'm English, and pronounce "pyramid" as pih-rah-mid, "pyromania" as pie-roe-mane-eeah and "pyra" as pie-rah.

Does that help?
Same here.

I'd be surprised if any English person said it differently. That's how we're taught to talk :)

I'll wait till ED does his first YouTube video of it and see how he says it, I'd then take that as the correct pronunciation, even if conflicts with how we'd naturally say it.

For the reason mentioned already be ED and others, product/company names don't have to be real existing words, you can make something up and pronounce it how you like.

...within reason, of course

_wb_    I see... Dragonbox as a company name?

But what is Dragonbox? It's not like Nintendo because It will always be a console like Pandora not a wii or a ds. An It's not like Sony because Sony choose a name for his console part which is Playstation and then put a 2,3,4 after, so Dragonbox matching Playstation.

Pandora is a unique device it should have a unique name! it should be THE Pyra. or THE DragonBox Pyra.   But DragonBox sound too bad to be taken as a single name, why keeping it while it is useless and diminished the power of the word Pyra?

Well, Pyra is not registered for a computer device, at least not in Europe, which is where I plan to register it.

Google hits are a different thing though.

As mentioned, I'm not sure myself which to take, both sound good to me.
If you look at Google hits, both Pyrrha and Pyrra have less hits than Pyra. Plus, those other two spellings have the benefit of not being pronounced "Pie rah" by English speakers. 

_wb_    I see... Dragonbox as a company name?

But what is Dragonbox? It's not like Nintendo because It will always be a console like Pandora not a wii or a ds. An It's not like Sony because Sony choose a name for his console part which is Playstation and then put a 2,3,4 after, so Dragonbox matching Playstation.

Pandora is a unique device it should have a unique name! it should be THE Pyra. or THE DragonBox Pyra.   But DragonBox sound too bad to be taken as a single name, why keeping it while it is useless and diminished the puissance of the word Pyra?
No, it's exactly like Nintendo. Nintendo releases consoles, so will DragonBox.

-God Ginrai

No, Dragonbox doesn't match Playstation.  The proper name of the playstation is the Sony Playstation [2,3,4] (or Sony Playstation Portable), just like it's a Nintendo Wii or Nintendo DS.  It's just like Sony or Nintendo, except it's dragonbox.de, not dragonbox dot com.

I think Dragonbox has more roots with ED and his company, rather than the device's [Pandora, P2, Pyra]

It's the name of his business, which is already established, and sells a fair bit of stuff aside from his own branded creations.

Obviously spawned from his moniker, Evil Dragon

Re: the Google hits thing, I'm still failing to see why this is a problem, as I mentioned somewhere earlier today [page back in this thread I think?] Why does it matter?

No, Dragonbox doesn't match Playstation.  The proper name of the playstation is the Sony Playstation [2,3,4] (or Sony Playstation Portable), just like it's a Nintendo Wii or Nintendo DS.  It's just like Sony or Nintendo, except it's dragonbox.de, not dragonbox dot com.
Sony was a company which make a lot of thing before Playstation. Dragonbox is more a website name  than a brand name like Sony.

Just imagine if the first playstation was named Sonybox Playstation, the name which would be retained is Sonybox because it's a new name and it's the principale name.

So the name in the history will be Sonybox, except if you take Sonybox Playstation 2,3 etc, but the name Sonybox will stay in people mind because "Playstation" is a "Sonybox".

But if you take only Playstation you give it independance, power and indentity. Just like THE Pandora.

Edit: FZERO that's what I'm talking about.

If DragonBox is already a brand and Pyra is THE Pyra of DragonBox I agree

Well, Pyra is not registered for a computer device, at least not in Europe, which is where I plan to register it.

Google hits are a different thing though.

As mentioned, I'm not sure myself which to take, both sound good to me.
If you look at Google hits, both Pyrrha and Pyrra have less hits than Pyra. Plus, those other two spellings have the benefit of not being pronounced "Pie rah" by English speakers. 
I agree 100%. Spell it Pyrra or Pyrrha. Sensible name. Pie Rah' not so much.

I agree 100%. Spell it Pyrra or Pyrrha. Sensible name. Pie Rah' not so much.
And what's the hang up with that? English speakers would pronounce Pyrra or pyrrha as Pie Rah' as well.

Sony was a company which make a lot of thing before Playstation. Dragonbox is more a website name  than a brand name like Sony.
It's true, this will be the first product branded with the Dragonbox name, but if ED makes another handheld after this (or other product) it will likely also be a Dragonbox product.

It's worth noting that despite Nintendo making things a long time before they made the Famicom/NES, a lot of English-speakers just called it 'a Nintendo'.  In this case we all know 'Dragonbox' is the company name, and 'Pyra' is the device name (or 'Miriad'), and we'll be calling it a 'Dragonbox Pyra' or just 'a Pyra' (or Miriad, as appropriate).

Although I'll admit one wierd thing - ED's company is still called 'OpenPandora GMBH'.  But I guess you can consider that as just being like Panasonic brand things actually being made by Matsushita (up until 2008).

Edit: Regarding spelling, if it were spelled 'Pyrra' I would naturally modify my pronunciation, as the double r indicates a short 'y', for reasons I can't explain.  But I pronounced Linux wrong too until I learned how it was meant to be pronounced and changed how I said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back