I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, this will be the first product branded with the Dragonbox name, but if ED makes another handheld after this (or other product) it will likely also be a Dragonbox product.

It's worth noting that despite Nintendo making things a long time before they made the Famicom/NES, a lot of English-speakers just called it 'a Nintendo'.  In this case we all know 'Dragonbox' is the company name, and 'Pyra' is the device name (or 'Miriad'), and we'll be calling it a 'Dragonbox Pyra' or just 'a Pyra' (or Miriad, as appropriate).

Although I'll admit one wierd thing - ED's company is still called 'OpenPandora GMBH'.  But I guess you can consider that as just being like Panasonic brand things actually being made by Matsushita (up until 2008).
If ED make product branded Dragonbox, but he don't say that he want to. Dragonbox has been chosen only for the name and because it's the website's name...

If a lot of speakers just called it a Nintendo (like french) so it will be called DragonBox.

If you want people to call it DragonBox Pyra it's impossible because DragonBox is already a compound Name so people will not say Dragon-Box-Pyra.  And DragonBox is main because: the Pyra is Dragonbox not the reverse.

Pyra is weakned because Dragonbox is composed and it's before Pyra.

To me Dragonbox just create disorder and make the name weak. Dragonbox should be included only if we want people to name it DragonBox, not Pyra, but in this cas why including Pyra, besides it's the first Dragonbox?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100%. Spell it Pyrra or Pyrrha. Sensible name. Pie Rah' not so much.
And what's the hang up with that? English speakers would pronounce Pyrra or pyrrha as Pie Rah' as well.
 This:

Edit: Regarding spelling, if it were spelled 'Pyrra' I would naturally modify my pronunciation, as the double r indicates a short 'y', for reasons I can't explain.
In English, multiple consonants after a y tell you to shorten it.

-God Ginrai

If a lot of speakers just called it a Nintendo (like french) so it will be called DragonBox.
I'm belgian from the french-speaking part of the country ;) Nintendo was only commonly used for the first nintendo console sold in Europe : Nintendo Entertainment System (NES - famicom in japan)

Then came the Super Nintendo, commonly called "super nes".

Then Nintendo 64, we mostly used "N soixante-quatre".

Then Gamecube and we used "Gamecube"

Conclusion : we called one nintendo console "nintendo" because it was the first word in its name (Nintendo Entertainment System).

So if a company named DragonBox make a console named Pyra, Miriad or whatever, people will call the device Pyra, Miriad or whatever.

Please, stop spewing nonsense around, thanks :)

I'm belgian from the french-speaking part of the country ;)
Nintendo was only commonly used for the first nintendo console sold in Europe : Nintendo Entertainment System (NES - famicom in japan)

Conclusion : we called one nintendo console "nintendo" because it was the first word in its name (Nintendo Entertainment System).

So if a company named DragonBox make a console named Pyra, Miriad or whatever, people will call the device Pyra, Miriad or whatever.

In my region, Nintendo was used to name all the console, but that's not the subject and Levi said that for english people, that's not my argument.

The fact that you don't understand don't make a thing nonsense :) .

What I am saying is: DragonBox is a name not a company or a brand like Nintendo so it can't be compared so your conclusion is false.

And the name disposition(DB before) and type(DB compound) make DragonBox more natural to pronunce instead of Pyra.

And even if Pyra is used because community use it, it will be weakned by DragonBox because Pyra will be a DragonBox instead of being an exclusive device and Dragonbox will create confusion especially for someone who don't know nothing about this device and would be a new user.

I'm belgian from the french-speaking part of the country ;) Nintendo was only commonly used for the first nintendo console sold in Europe : Nintendo Entertainment System (NES - famicom in japan)

In my region, Nintendo was used to name all the console, but that's not the subject and Levi said that for english people, that's not my argument.The fact that you don't understand don't make a thing nonsense :) .

What I am saying is: DragonBox is a name not a company or a brand like Nintendo so it can't be compared so your conclusion is false.

And the name disposition(DB before) and type(DB compound) make DragonBox more natural to pronunce instead of Pyra.

And even if Pyra is used because community use it, it will be weakned by DragonBox because Pyra will be a DragonBox instead of being an exclusive device and Dragonbox will create confusion especially for someone who don't know nothing about this device and would be a new user.
DragonBox is intended to be a company/brand. If the Pyra is successful, then EvilDragon will make a DragonBox NextDeviceNameHere.

-God Ginrai

^You're over thinking the whole situation..
I don't think, I'm just trying to explain the intuition which come in my mind and make me resistant to "DragonBox Pyra" with words.

DragonBox is intended to be a company/brand. If the Pyra is successful, then EvilDragon will make a DragonBox NextDeviceNameHere.

-God Ginrai
If it's that way, no complaints. But EvilDragon didn't said.

If Dragonbox isn't a company/brand, the name Pyra Dragonbox is still better than Dragonbox Pyra.

If Dragonbox isn't a company/brand, the name Pyra Dragonbox is still better than Dragonbox Pyra.
DragonBox is already a company… Did you ever take a look at the dragonbox.de ?
KONTAKTIEREN SIE UNS

OpenPandora GmbH
That's what we've been explaining the whole time :

dragonbox = company

pyra = product made by company

If it's called "DragonBox Pyra" then most likely people will call it "Pyra". People rarely use the full names; you don't typically say "Sony PlayStation", "Microsoft Xbox", "Nintendo Wii", "Apple iPad", "Samsung Galaxy Note", "Google Android", "Microsoft Windows", "Canonical Ubuntu", etc.
Do you not think this is because Playstation, Xbox etc are known worldwide? I know if I was introducing someone to a device that a ridiculously high percentage of the worlds population have never heard of, I'd probably use the full name of it: "Google 'Dragonbox Pyra' if you want to to look into getting one". Obviously on the forums and to people who know of the device I'd just say Pyra, as one would do with an iPod, Xbox, etc :)

DragonBox is already a company… Did you ever take a look at the dragonbox.de ?
KONTAKTIEREN SIE UNS

OpenPandora GmbH
That's what we've been explaining the whole time :

dragonbox = company

pyra = product made by company
OpenPandora is a company, DragonBox is only the name of the device until ED says otherwise.

I hope that DragonBox will become a brand or that the name will be "Pyra" or "Pyra Dragonbox" or "Pyra Whatever" or "OpenPyra",

for the reasons I mentioned before. :)

OpenPandora is a company, DragonBox is only the name of the device until ED says otherwise.
Just read the description of the poll EvilDragon setup.
It says "I want it to be called the DragonBox..."

Implying what gets voted on will be Dragonbox Miriad or Dragonbox Pyra.

Of course.  People on here know it, so we'll just call it the 'Pyra' on here, but elsewhere we'll introduce it qualified with the company/brand name as well.
Precisely. To add to this, googling "Dragonbox Pyra" comes up with this very forum as the top three results already: the three name threads. 181000 results.

DragonBox is only the name of the device until ED says otherwise.
I though ED had stated that the device would be called pyra or miriad?
Just read the description of the poll EvilDragon setup.

It says "I want it to be called the DragonBox..."

Implying what gets voted on will be Dragonbox Miriad or Dragonbox Pyra.
2 moderators who only read half! :rolleyes:

I was just saying that "DragonBox" isn't a company/brand because ED didn't say it is. :)

Don't get Moderators angry.. Binky especially... he's a monster.

Just saying I think you don't took the time to read because you read Binky's Post.

To conclude with what I had to say:

DragonBox is a name not a company or a brand like Nintendo so it can't be compared.

The name disposition(DB before) and type(DB compound) make DragonBox more natural to pronunce instead of Pyra.

To me DragonBox should (if it isn't) become a brand or the name should be "Pyra" or "Pyra Dragonbox" or "Pyra Whatever" or "OpenPyra",

Just saying I think you don't took the time to read because you read Binky's Post.
That's isn't the case..
DragonBox is a name not a company or a brand like Nintendo so it can't be compared.
So? that's irrelevant, If EvilDragon wants to make it a company he can. If he doesn't that is his call. If it's a compound name then so be it.. Most people will just call it Pyra or Miriad.
I don't see why that would weaken the name, you underestimate people thinking it would confuse anyone.

To me DragonBox should (if it isn't) become a brand or the name should be "Pyra" or "Pyra Dragonbox" or "Pyra Whatever" or "OpenPyra",
EvilDragon set up the poll the way it is.. He implies it will be "Dragonbox Whateverwins".. It's been established in prior polls that Dragonbox will be the prefix to this device. If it's the company name or not is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back