I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hilarious, even a simple poll between two names ends in fights. Ahh the Pandora forum, always entertaining :p
Is like it's nature of the internets and nothing can be done to prevent this :)

I wonder if it's actually possible to have everyone agree on a point here :)

Does anyone disagree with "It was not a bad thing DraStic was developed"? :p

Pyra is awful.... but it gets my vote because mirid looks like Miiiiiiiid!

Wait, can pyra just the codename? like Project Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think an official pronunciation should be forced on everyone - we all live in different parts of the world, speak differently, and have our own individual perspectives / associations.

Personally, I think pih-ra of pee-ra sounds ridiculous and I would be embarrassed uttering it.

Thus I'm going to call the device the Pie-ra, which is much much cooler imho.

It immediately makes me think of fire or explosive tech. And even though it's the name of Pandora's daughter re-spelled, now with the new spelling it adds a strong masculine element as well.

Very cool, or hot should I say... A nicely balanced name and a clever choice for many reasons.

There is no right way, only wrong opinions of what someone else isnt right about.

I think americans omit the use of y phonetically all-together. Its strange blaming a name for how you pronounce it in that it cant be pronounced.

Personally, I think pih-ra of pee-ra sounds ridiculous and I would be embarrassed uttering it.

Thus I'm going to call the device the Pie-ra, which is much much cooler imho.

Me too, plus I keep picturing this in my head:

2h2qyk7.png

:)

Haha @ Pee-ra!

Well I think it's best if everyone just pronounces it like he or she wants to pronounce it.

Why is everyone focusing on the pronunciation of Pyra by the way? Is it "Mee ree ahd" or "My riot" or "Mie rye at" or "Me ri ád"?

I don't think unambiguous pronunciation is that important. It's probably impossible too, at least in English, unless you pick an existing word like Apple.

Exactly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

:)

This is true, also could perhaps have the boot up sequence include audio which says the product name...

Or like Sonic Hedgehog game boot up where pronounces "S-E-G-A"...

If I opened up my Pyra/Miriad for the first time and it played the 'Say-gaa' logo at my I think I'd die happy!

We should definitely do this to the same tune, if it's not trademarked (can you trademark two notes?).

Well I think it's best if everyone just pronounces it like he or she wants to pronounce it.

I don't think unambiguous pronunciation is that important. It's probably impossible too, at least in English, unless you pick an existing word like Apple.
I completely agree with this.

Why is everyone focusing on the pronunciation of Pyra by the way? Is it "Mee ree ahd" or "My riot" or "Mie rye at" or "Me ri ád"?
Probably because given the vote breakdown and trend,  it seems increasingly unlikely that Miriad will win as time goes by. :p

In any case I don't see any ambiguity with Miriad.   Myriad is a well established word, and in this case the change of vowel doesn't really give any indication that it's pronounced any differently. (or at least not to an English-speaker)

- Neelix

I'm English, and pronounce "pyramid" as pih-rah-mid, "pyromania" as pie-roe-mane-eeah and "pyra" as pie-rah.

Does that help?
Same here.

I'd be surprised if any English person said it differently. That's how we're taught to talk :)

I'll wait till ED does his first YouTube video of it and see how he says it, I'd then take that as the correct pronunciation, even if conflicts with how we'd naturally say it.

For the reason mentioned already be ED and others, product/company names don't have to be real existing words, you can make something up and pronounce it how you like.

...within reason, of course
well i'm English born Living in Australia for a long time. and i thought the pronunciation would be "pih-rah" . short vowel not long vowel as in "ee"

ie just the pyra of pyramid.....

@spud42, Fair enough - I guess the word 'pyramid' does cause some to assume that would be the pronunciation :)

This is true, also could perhaps have the boot up sequence include audio which says the product name...

Or like Sonic Hedgehog game boot up where pronounces "S-E-G-A"...
If I opened up my Pyra/Miriad for the first time and it played the 'Say-gaa' logo at my I think I'd die happy!

We should definitely do this to the same tune, if it's not trademarked (can you trademark two notes?).
...wouldn't surprise me, LastMinute.com trademark a bloody colour, not sure how that even works, can I not use that on my website or something?

See:

2vajc02.png

I find it interesting that people of different parts of the world will pronounce the same word differently,  it's not a surprise, it happens now with other words.  

Anyway, just as an experiment, I googled Pyra, found the first product of the same name which  was the "Roccat Pyra" gaming mouse.  I then went to Youtube and searched for "Roccat Pyra review"  just to see how people were pronouncing it.  

Here are the top 4 search results on youtube, now bear in mind I fully appreciate that people in different countries will pronounce Pyra differently, I just found this to be interesting to see how an existing product with the same name is pronounced.

If you don't want to watch the videos , they pronounce it Pie Rah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3ahrj5I30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlC7QBC9e2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmZlgV8pRow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD5ex5Scfdw

And here's an interesting one, I wanted to see a review by someone not from an English speaking country , I eventually found a review from a German kid, listen to the way he pronounces it.  ie Pew Rah - different yet again to even Pee rah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSMUSwbKg8

Basically it looks like people from English speaking countries pronounce it Pie Rah.  People in other non English European countries may pronounce it differently.  

EDIT: I thought I should look up how the product is pronounced by the manufacturer and found their Youtube ad for it here:-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ4Ui_iA5aU   .  They pronounce it Pie Rah, but I noticed the guy in the ad had an accent, so I looked up where the company is based. Now here's the really weird bit, it's a German company.

Pie Ruh for me as far as pronunciation goes.

Good to see that miriad doesn't sound too good to a lot of other Pandorians as well. Deliberately misspelled product names always sound / look a bit naff to me.

Dragonbox Pyra has a nice ring to it IMHO but as has been said many times, the name isn't that important, people will get used to it, let's save the real angst for the hardware specifications / design choices ;)

^ Now we need a Poll on the color options.  Just kidding  :p

This is hilarious, even a simple poll between two names ends in fights. Ahh the Pandora forum, always entertaining :p
Is like it's nature of the internets and nothing can be done to prevent this :)
I fear the worst when it comes to the actual device, I remember endless discussions about the P1 Keyboard layout and even after that, the result was not that great imho. Thereare already threads about backlit keys or glow in the dark keys and I guess more of these threads will come. I love Democracy but sometimes I think that it does not work everywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back