I want it to be called the DragonBox...

• Pyra

Votes: 126 73.7%
  • Miriad

Votes: 45 26.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DragonBox is a name not a company or a brand like Nintendo so it can't be compared.
So? that's irrelevant, If EvilDragon wants to make it a company he can. If he doesn't that is his call. If it's a compound name then so be it.. Most people will just call it Pyra or Miriad.
And even if Pyra is used because community use it, it will be weakned by DragonBox because Pyra will be a DragonBox instead of being an exclusive device and Dragonbox will create confusion especially for someone who don't know nothing about this device and would be a new user.
I don't see why that would weaken the name, you underestimate people thinking it would confuse anyone.
It weaken the name because Dragonbox is before, so Pyra is a Dragonbox I don't know what's the word in english. In the meaning of the name, if Dragonbox don't exist Pyra can't exist. So DragonBox dominate Pyra in the name. DragonBox isn't known so someone who don't know the device and read "Dragonbox Pyra" will remember "Dragonbox".

Besides, Dragonbox is compound so it make it heavier than Pyra in the name.

That's why I said Dragonbox Pyra should be taken only if we want Dragonbox as THE name of this unique device or if "Dragonbox" is a brand/company.

That's my opinion, I can't explain it longer because I don't have words but it's enough. I hope someone can feel the true.

It seems not important but it is. Even if Dragonbox Pyra is taken, we won't be able to verify what I say because we will not know how many people we missed because of the name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to argue this further.

It's my personal opinion "Pyra Dragonbox" sounds horrible compared to "Dragonbox Pyra". But that said It's just my opinion.. you're welcome to yours just as I am to mine..

Oh come one, stop this discussion. You're giving the new device a bad name!

Oh, wait...

Besides, Dragonbox is compound so it make it heavier than Pyra in the name.

That's why I said Dragonbox Pyra should be taken only if we want Dragonbox as THE name of this unique device or if "Dragonbox" is a brand/company.
As I said:

logo.jpg

DragonBox is the brand/company.

Everyone stop goading him on. If this topic gets too long with pointless discussion, EvilDragon will be less likely to notice the useful discussion. (things such as the mentions of a pattern for future devices and the pronunciation problem for the current spelling)

-God Ginrai

I didn't realize it until this very second, thanks to God Ginrai, but I would greatly prefer that the second Pandora be called the Dragonbox than the Pyra. Dragonbox sounds totally okay now.  I hope (this is aimed at everyone coming up with logo ideas) that if ED decides to use the name Pyra, it isn't stamped into the case shape.

I didn't realize it until this very second, thanks to God Ginrai, but I would greatly prefer that the second Pandora be called the Dragonbox than the Pyra. Dragonbox sounds totally okay now. I hope (this is aimed at everyone coming up with logo ideas) that if ED decides to use the name Pyra, it isn't stamped into the case shape.
I as well liked the DragonBox name. I'm hoping that whatever logo we end up with incorporates some ubiquitous DragonBox logo that can appear in all DragonBox devices.

-God Ginrai

I didn't realize it until this very second, thanks to God Ginrai, but I would greatly prefer that the second Pandora be called the Dragonbox than the Pyra. Dragonbox sounds totally okay now. I hope (this is aimed at everyone coming up with logo ideas) that if ED decides to use the name Pyra, it isn't stamped into the case shape.
I as well liked the DragonBox name. I'm hoping that whatever logo we end up with incorporates some ubiquitous DragonBox logo that can appear in all DragonBox devices.

-God Ginrai
That reasons.  I go on to suggest the logo shape just be a pattern of some kind, or if dragon related, simply claws or teeth, so we can each envision our own preferred dragons.

guys, lets just stick a push me button on the boxing that educates about how to correctly pronounce Pyra! You know, like stupid holiday crads that play sound when being opened  xD

Most likely different people will pronounce it in different ways, and that's fine. I imagine that in Germany, most people will say "pee-rah" while in England, most people will say "pie-rah". I don't see the problem with that.

As for the "DragonBox" (or "DB") prefix - it's just like the "GPH" in "GPH Wiz" or "GPH Caanoo". It will be the Pyra, made by DragonBox GmbH. If you want to call it "a DragonBox", you can do that - just like you can call a Macintosh "an Apple", a Wii "a Nintendo" or a Latitude D830 "a Dell". But it would still be the company name, not the name of the specific device. So it would be a DragonBox, more specifically, the Pyra.

It makes no sense to me to use "DragonBox" also as the name of the specific device (that just adds confusion and would make the full name "DragonBox DragonBox") or to reverse the order of the names and say "Pyra DragonBox".

If Dragonbox isn't a company/brand, the name Pyra Dragonbox is still better than Dragonbox Pyra.
DragonBox is already a company… Did you ever take a look at the dragonbox.de ?
KONTAKTIEREN SIE UNS

OpenPandora GmbH
That's what we've been explaining the whole time :

dragonbox = company

pyra = product made by company
 OpenPandora is a company, DragonBox is only the name of the device until ED says otherwise.

I hope that DragonBox will become a brand or that the name will be "Pyra" or "Pyra Dragonbox" or "Pyra Whatever" or "OpenPyra",

for the reasons I mentioned before. :)
Are you intellectually challenged or do you do that just to troll?
Dragonbox IS an existing company owned by ED, OpenPandora GmbH won't be involved into making Pyra or Miriad, it's DragonBox that'll produce it.

So please, either stop trolling or just shut up until you understand what's written in this topic, thanks.

The name I'm most sad missed out on winning is Mryridon.  I didn't see who came up with that one, but it's like Myriad, dinosaurs and Pokemon, all in one.  That would have been amazing.

Dragonbox Miriad sits better on the tongue than Dragonbox Pyra. (with my tongue) 

However, I can certainly see why most people voted for Pyra. Pyra is easier to pronounce, its leading character is also a P as was Pandora, it can inspire better puns. 

guys, lets just stick a push me button on the boxing that educates about how to correctly pronounce Pyra! You know, like stupid holiday crads that play sound when being opened  xD
 That has no bearing on word of mouth. 

Most likely different people will pronounce it in different ways, and that's fine. I imagine that in Germany, most people will say "pee-rah" while in England, most people will say "pie-rah". I don't see the problem with that.
"Pie rah" gives me the same bad taste in my mouth as saying "y'all". It sounds horrible.

@EvilDragon: You said in IRC it has to be something people can spell. If I pronounce "Pyra" in a more correct way, ("P rah") instead of the way it reads in English, ("Pie rah") then most English speakers would not be able to spell it right, because they will search for "Pira", "Peera", or "Pirra".

-God Ginrai

I'm not sure if there can be a "correct" pronunciation for a product name.

Its pronounced however the company and its customers feel like pronouncing it.

2 moderators who only read half! :rolleyes:

I was just saying that "DragonBox" isn't a company/brand because ED didn't say it is. :)
That's something funny to say from someone that have shown serious reading disorder (not even getting the thread initial post...)

This is hilarious, even a simple poll between two names ends in fights.  Ahh the Pandora forum, always entertaining  :p

I'm not sure if there can be a "correct" pronunciation for a product name.

Its pronounced however the company and its customers feel like pronouncing it.
This is true, also could perhaps have the boot up sequence include audio which says the product name...

...I'm thinking a bit like the old Hyperspin boot up logo where it makes that swooshing noise followed by that robotic "h-y-p-e-r-s-p-i-n"

Or like Sonic Hedgehog game boot up where pronounces "S-E-G-A"...

...however, even with that I was so used to pronouncing it 'see-ga' for years that when I realised it's actually 'say-ga' it was weird for me to change.. I still pronounce it 'see-ga'.

But with a new device, this audio on boot could help spread the correct proposed pronunciation from day one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back