Release Pale Moon

New build on the repo.

I tried building this one with gcc 6.2 (most previous release were compiled with gcc 5.1). I hope it didn't broke anything...

Build 27
-----------

• Update to 26.4.1 sources

I had a miss-compilation since switch to v27 sources. I have now fixed it (well, I just added a simple "#pragma GCC optimize 1" in js/src/vm/TypeInference-inl.h and now it works).
v27 was a major refactor, so this now release will probably needs some adjustement...

Build 28
-----------

• Update to 27.2.1 sources

wow good News.
Your new Version is Youtubeable again when i do disable Webm Play in About:Config.
Thank you for your continue Work on it :-D

..wrote this with PaleMoon on the Pandora..yay :)

I've never had a pleasant browsing experience with any version of any browser, except I guess for links. Pale Moon is not an exception. It is unbelievably slow, taking minutes to load some pages, especially when I have multiple tabs loaded or loading.

I have a classic Pandora with 512Mb Memory. I have no cache enabled, and I don't need one. I'm not using much of my system memory.

I've overclocked to 969 MHz OPP 5. I've done rigorous testing with automated software and this is stable and error-free at the CPU level. I've also tried with the stock CPU settings.

What can I do?

Create a swap file. Also understand that this is NOT a desktop and maybe stick to 2-3 tabs tops.

You could also try netsurf, I have never tried it but have heard great things from others that have.

I've never had a pleasant browsing experience with any version of any browser, except I guess for links. Pale Moon is not an exception. It is unbelievably slow, taking minutes to load some pages, especially when I have multiple tabs loaded or loading.

I have a classic Pandora with 512Mb Memory. I have no cache enabled, and I don't need one. I'm not using much of my system memory.

I've overclocked to 969 MHz OPP 5. I've done rigorous testing with automated software and this is stable and error-free at the CPU level. I've also tried with the stock CPU settings.

What can I do?
Try NetSurf?

What can I do?

Hmm...
..try to use a,Wlan Dongle..
..because on some Pandoras..the internal Wlan is not good working.

Next Hint:
Do not swap your Memory on the same SD Card as Palemoon is.
Because when Palemoon is Accessing the Same SD Card and Swap is using the same SD Card..
..slooooooooooow :D

For a very fast Browsing you can maybe simply disable all Picture loading in the Settings.

Mostly Flash Content and animated Stuff slow down your browsing.

-Try to install an Adblocker.

Or like the others said..try another Browser.
I recommend Otter Browser too for the Pandora but beware because a Design Bug.
In Otter Browser..you must change the Appereance in the Settings and then you have Tabs visible.

And Otter Browser have a nice Zoom Function for make all Websites much smaller and faster.

Try it :D

Edit:
You have more real Memory when you start the Brwoser from MiniMenu and not from the Xfce.

Maybe another Sgx Driver is little faster with the Website Animations?
Oh i must test this Idea :D

Netsurf is by far the fastest browser I think. It starts almost instantly and renders pages real fast. I have it set with these boards as home page and it starts and shows them within two seconds.
It lacks some compatibility though so not all pages look like they should but I guess that's not the case with links either ;)
Maybe Arora is decent too but that needs updating afaik.

- A swap file or launching outside of xfce won't be useful. I have hundreds of megabytes of memory remaining.
- Disabling images may help CPU usage.
- Ad-blocking won't matter. I was originally doing basic testing with websites without ads.

In Otter Browser..you must change the Appereance in the Settings and then you have Tabs visible

Thank you. I did this, and it worked.
Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Appearance > Widget Style: [Fusion]

However, I began examining CPU usage when waiting for tabs to load, and I don't see 100% usage. So it feels like this is indeed a network issue.

--

I tried one USB stick but it failed to load. I had a second which worked (I had to disable Wireless then disable and re-enable USB).

This makes a HUGE difference.

So to come back to the Pale Moon topic of this thread..

Pale Moon spikes to a very high CPU usage for some page loads, but it's minimal for a simple blog. I tested my own: http://blog.spiralofhope.com and then https://blog.spiralofhope.com to see if SSL influenced things. I could not see any difference.

I did load-testing with http://imgur.com

I don't know if everyday users know this, but the Pale Moon developer implemented a "superstop" feature which immediately disconnects a whole tab from every single network connection, including AJAX. It is shift-escape. On the Pandora, that is Shift-Fn-q .. it is VERY fast at stopping imgr long loads.

Some rudimentary testing with websites that use JavaScript seem to indicate Pale Moon's first-load of a heavily JavaScript-enhanced website is very very slow (CPU issue). I tested with https://minds.com but I'll need to do more testing later.

--

I used htop (available as a PND) and configured it to show a column for I/O, and set up a graph for CPU usage. This is how I could judge things better. I should have been graphing network usage with another program, but I didn't think of that.

So my conclusion: Pale Moon is fantastic. However, I think there are some limitations with the network, because loading two tabs at once is poor. This does not always max out the CPU, so I know it's a network issue.

I will have to judge other web browsers separately, configuring each to not use a cache so I can be fair with them. Otter did seem quite nice at a glance, and so did some others.. but getting Pale Moon working is far more important to me, even if it turns out to be slower.

--

I also have a wired network dongle which I'd like to test. It works on another Linux handheld (the Zaurus) but I have not tested it on the Pandora.
[doublepost=1495188824,1495187479][/doublepost]YouTube works.

(Overclocked to 969 MHz OPP3)

Fullscreen works. A video must be paused to buffer for a while.

480p, 320p, 240p, 144p have good audio but choppy video.

Preferences > Advanced > "Hardware acceleration when available"
This is enabled by default. Disabling allows 144p video to play quite smoothly. Nothing higher quality plays video very well.

I don't know how to get rid of the bottom Loading message. I believe this is straightforward, but I can't remember how right now.

Caching most of a 20:45 video in 240p works well. I didn't even have 300 Mb of memory used, with spacefm and htop running with xfce.

--

Flash works.

In about:config, set media.webm.enabled; false

The warning about the flash version being insecure can be ignored if you trust YouTube.

Fullscreen works. I can get 144p. The audio is perfect but the video is choppy.

(Overclocked to 969 MHz OPP3)
pretty amazing you can hit 969 MHz at OPP3, all three of my Pandoras are unstable around 700MHz or so when forcing OPP3, then I ask why are you forcing OPP3? Using the other OPP modes are not harming anything, it's typical operation for it to automatically shift to OPP4/5 when you up the clock speed.

As for youtube if that is all you're using "The Tube" or the youtube plugin on Kodi are better, less choppy solutions than using a browser.

pretty amazing you can hit 969 MHz at OPP3, all three of my Pandoras are unstable around 700MHz or so when forcing OPP3, then I ask why are you forcing OPP3? Using the other OPP modes are not harming anything, it's typical operation for it to automatically shift to OPP4/5 when you up the clock speed.

As for youtube if that is all you're using "The Tube" or the youtube plugin on Kodi are better, less choppy solutions than using a browser.

My Rebirth becomes unstable after 925 Mhz OPP5, but anything below that is pretty good. I figure an extra 100mhz probably wouldn't make that much a difference in the grand scheme of things unless I had a ghz board, which alas, I do not.

My apologies, I thought I set myself to max OPP3 for my most recent tests, but it appears to have reset to a max of OPP5.

Still, I agree it's impressive I can overclock it this much and be completely stable and error-free.

--

For YouTube live in Pale Moon, getting a preview at 144p is fine. I'd use a separate downloader to get a video. Playing a download at 320p is fine for me with several different video players.

The Tube doesn't seem to be able to play many videos. I had issues with its interface.

I vaguely recall trying Kodi, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I'll try it again later.

Does the latest release (27.3.0) possibly miss some libraries?

I get
Code:
libffi.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load module: /mnt/utmp/palemoon/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so
...and when I hack that up by creating a symlink to the existing /usr/lib/libffi.so.5.0.10, the next warning is
Code:
libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load module: /mnt/utmp/palemoon/lib/gio/modules/libgiofam.so

ptitSeb hey, trying to build an x86 version on Devuan with gcc 4.9 (recommended gcc) and it's a freaking nightmare :)

Under qemu kvm on an i7, ./mach build with various -march settings fills my 5.8GB allocated RAM and swap to 10GB, then writing to drive slows to 1MB/s. and i have to kill the vm.

Could you share your mozconfig and any patches you have applied?

And yes it's less bloated than firefox, but why does it force me to pull in stuff like telephony, tv, bluetooth, ... VOICEMAIL?

ptitSeb hey, trying to build an x86 version on Devuan with gcc 4.9 (recommended gcc) and it's a freaking nightmare :)

Under qemu kvm on an i7, ./mach build with various -march settings fills my 5.8GB allocated RAM and swap to 10GB, then writing to drive slows to 1MB/s. and i have to kill the vm.

Could you share your mozconfig and any patches you have applied?

And yes it's less bloated than firefox, but why does it force me to pull in stuff like telephony, tv, bluetooth, ... VOICEMAIL?
Sure.

Here is my mozconfig
Code:
#en cas de pb de link avec libxul

#ajouter

#OS_LIBS += -Wl,-Bstatic -lc

#dans pmbuild/toolkit/library/backend.mk

# ou alors

#OS_LIBS += -lc -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,strtol -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,rand  -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,srand  -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,bsearch

ac_add_options --enable-official-branding

export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

export CROSS_COMPILE=1

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/seb/cross/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/pkgconfig:/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib/pkgconfig

export ac_cv_c_bigendian=no

mk_add_options AUTOCLOBBER=1

mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser

ac_add_options --enable-application=browser

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/home/seb/palemoon_build/pmbuild/

ac_add_options --target=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter

ac_add_options --disable-accessibility

ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls

ac_add_options --disable-webrtc

ac_add_options --disable-logging

ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi

ac_add_options --disable-installer

ac_add_options --disable-updater

ac_add_options --disable-websms-backend

ac_add_options --disable-tests

ac_add_options --disable-mochitests

ac_add_options --disable-debug

#ac_add_options --disable-debug-symbols

ac_add_options --enable-debug-symbols

#ac_add_options --enable-gstreamer=0.10

ac_add_options --disable-gstreamer

#ac_add_options --enable-strip

ac_add_options --disable-strip

ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -fdiagnostics-color=auto -mthumb-interwork -fuse-ld=bfd -fuse-linker-plugin -fsigned-char -Wl,-rpath-link,/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib"

# -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"

export CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -mthumb-interwork -fuse-ld=bfd -fuse-linker-plugin -fsigned-char -Wl,-rpath-link,/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib -I/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/include -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"

export CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fpermissive"

# Actually enable LTO

#export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -flto-odr-type-merging -fuse-ld=gold -fuse-linker-plugin -fsigned-char -Wl,-rpath-link,/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib"

#export CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -flto-odr-type-merging -fuse-ld=gold -fuse-linker-plugin -fsigned-char -Wl,-rpath-link,/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib"

#export LIBS="/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib/libc.a"

#export LIBS=/home/seb/palemoon_build/hack.a

export LIBS="-Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,strtol -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,rand  -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,srand  -Wl,--ignore-unresolved-symbol,bsearch -lrt -ldl"

export LD="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ld"

export CC="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc"

export CXX="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi-g++"

export AR="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc-ar"

export RANLIB="armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc-ranlib"

export HOST_CFLAGS="-O2"

export HOST_CXXFLAGS="-O2"

ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=omni

ac_add_options --x-libraries=/mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/lib

ac_add_options --disable-elf-hack

It's the file I use to cross build PaleMoon for the Pandora.
If you activate LTO, then yeah, you will need like 16GB+ of RAM+SWAP for the link of libxul.so. Without LTO, it should be fine as long as you don't activate debug info.

Also, note that, on the Pandora, I get a "Illegal instruction" error at start when compiled with GCC 7.1 or 7.2 (that's why I haven't updated the pnd yet). I try to build with gcc 5.1, but I have many error, and not all are fixed yet. I can put the diff here if (and when) I succeed in building it with gcc 5.1, as you may encounter those error too (some weird error about optimisation level that differ and make inlining to fail).

Back