Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Looks awesome, imo. :)

ouya2_gallery_post.jpg

Heh - this looks a lot like the XBox360 Metro UI.

The pictures of the controller aren't that far away from the XBox ones as well.

It could look like that, or the left side could actually just be a silicon cock and balls

Edit: Here's an interesting tweet from her:

"Just backed 2 projects on Kickstarter that want to bring games to OUYA"

Does anyone know what Kickstarter projects she is referring to?

http://www.kickstart...projects/backed

Fall of Eternity

Armored Tank Assault 2
I also read somewhere, that this Game here could be a candidate for OUYA too:

http://www.kickstart...ad?ref=category

It already has "Retro" in the title so of course I will like it. :D

Here's an interpretation.

ouya_controller.jpg

Someone should inform them, that they paying good attention to the D-Pad. Many Gamepads seems to ignore the D-Pad quality more or less, compared to the other components. ^^"

Last edited by a moderator:

0.jpg
ouya2_gallery_post.jpg
kickstarter-project-ouya-brings-free-gaming-to-your-tv-0.jpg

They sure know how to give people what they want, don't they? Pretty women making alluring faces holding shiny renders and menu screens that could just be mock-ups. And certainly don't actually link to those games.

Let's start with something tangible - why is the system this relatively huge cube? It's using hardware that literally fits in a cell phone (minus a bunch of stuff the cell phone needs). Normal consoles can justify larger sizes because they have things like optical drives, hard drives, and active cooling.. What's the justification here? This is going to feel not just large but also hollow (unless they find something to fill it with) which people equate with cheap and fragile.

I don't know why there's this big emphasis on industrial design to begin with. The thing is a box with a few standard ports sticking out of it. Yeah it needs to look "good", especially since I guess KS is really big on that, but surely there's some existing understanding of how to make a box look appealing. And IMO this doesn't look appealing, it looks kind of stupid - but that's probably because it looks fake. Because it probably is fake.

The controller looks decent, if not pretty derivative, but are they really going to fit an acceptable touchpad on that? Is it supposed to go on the back like Vita, or what? Hard to have a lot of confidence in people who can only produce half a render of the thing..

Now the menu.. people are obviously hyped because of the games. Which either Ouya doesn't have or they're already on Android. Ouya needs to stop peddling games they don't have - if I were Notch for instance I'd be very unhappy about them suggesting outright that this thing is going to have Minecraft. These pictures all need a big asterisk at the bottom that it's just a mockup and not reflective of actual content.

Regarding left-side of the controller, the KS video shows the design sketches with an analogue stick in the upper-left, with the D-pad in the center-left, near the bottom. Not sure where any touch pad would be on this though.

Regarding the $100 KS price, I agree this seems low. Is there any statement that this is the targeted retail price? Perhaps the $100 price is just a KS incentive, and the final price retail would be $150? (I don't see this being a big seller at $150 though. I'd prefer to get a Google TV with a controller, if they ever developed one.)

I hope they pull this off, but for now at least, I am skeptical enough to not become a backer. I might in the end, since $100 doesn't mean much to me.

0.jpg
ouya2_gallery_post.jpg
kickstarter-project-ouya-brings-free-gaming-to-your-tv-0.jpg

They sure know how to give people what they want, don't they? Pretty women making alluring faces holding shiny renders and menu screens that could just be mock-ups. And certainly don't actually link to those games.

Let's start with something tangible - why is the system this relatively huge cube? It's using hardware that literally fits in a cell phone (minus a bunch of stuff the cell phone needs). Normal consoles can justify larger sizes because they have things like optical drives, hard drives, and active cooling.. What's the justification here? This is going to feel not just large but also hollow (unless they find something to fill it with) which people equate with cheap and fragile.

I don't know why there's this big emphasis on industrial design to begin with. The thing is a box with a few standard ports sticking out of it. Yeah it needs to look "good", especially since I guess KS is really big on that, but surely there's some existing understanding of how to make a box look appealing. And IMO this doesn't look appealing, it looks kind of stupid - but that's probably because it looks fake. Because it probably is fake.

The controller looks decent, if not pretty derivative, but are they really going to fit an acceptable touchpad on that? Is it supposed to go on the back like Vita, or what? Hard to have a lot of confidence in people who can only produce half a render of the thing..

Now the menu.. people are obviously hyped because of the games. Which either Ouya doesn't have or they're already on Android. Ouya needs to stop peddling games they don't have - if I were Notch for instance I'd be very unhappy about them suggesting outright that this thing is going to have Minecraft. These pictures all need a big asterisk at the bottom that it's just a mockup and not reflective of actual content.
there's a lot of valid points here.Im surprised they only have renders of the controller.And the ouya does seem quite unnecessarily big now that you mention it.Maybe they are just winging it.Hope it works out for the sake of the pledgers.Cant see it selling many units though.

Very much my thoughts too.

I'd not like to be them when the realisation finally hits them that they have to deliver all these. Some with names etched in to them and other such things.

Administrative, expensive, time consuming nightmare.

And where they are planning to get the extra money from to pay for all that?

You know... I bet if they had made the unit price $199 they would have had similar KS success. Bet they wish they had done that in 7 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it will be a very big unit, I think they have a semi mock up just to show something really, but its hardly the worst looking thing in the world. If its small itll be worth it I think.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/16/influential-indies-on-the-brouhaha-around-ouya/#continued

Good little indie dev thoughts about the infrastructure being offered. But it puts me right off really. Why are they using what is old technology? Even using new steppings and overclocked proper Heatsinked chips its still a Tegra 3, which is showing its age so much now, and wasnt exactly setting mobile graphics alight to begin with. I know it might be a cost factor (since theyre making something which will cost somewhere way south of $99) but its struggling with some games already. My One X stutters quite a bit playing GTA3.

Then there is the point of who is backing this thing? Devs its seems so far, so your customer base is going to be very small or youll essentially be trading your own game with other devs for theirs in essence. I know there are lots of non dev backers but the devs seem to enjoy this prospect a bit more than the consumer thus far.

I dont know really. I have conflicting thoughts. I like the idea, I just dont think its going to work. Its going to be very niche, or end up hacked into XBMC boxes...

Also Notch mentioned the Pandora... ;) If only in slight disappointment...

The touchpad is meant to go in the area on the top of the joystick , the area thats blank on the controller mock up between the dpad and buttons and above the analogue sticks.

Ouya-C.jpg

If it's actually small then either that sales model is a lilliputian or they messed up the compositing. Which would be a really bad sign.

I'm buying the touchpad on the controller even less now.. if it's such a tiny square then it'll be no better than a laptop trackpad. It might be sort of alright for gestures but anything that needs absolute positioning on the screen is pretty hopeless, and I believe that applies to most games.

Frankly I don't see it being the same runaway hit on KS at $199. The price point is its biggest draw. Or at least makes it low risk enough that people are okay with it not getting a real game library.

My guess is that it will be Laptop touchpad sized. As per the KS it's meant for gestures, don't think they mentioned any use for it for positioning , that said it probably could do it but it's not the primary reason they have added it.

Right, so it'll be useless for most games. Kind of flies in the face of their comment that the touchpad allows typical Android games to be played.

Have they even confirmed that the controller will have motion sensing? That'd be the other necessary feature.

I think the wisest thing they can do is to ensure Sixaxis supports the Ouya controller. That way they will have a massive amount of games that can be played by the console from day 1.

Back