Ouya - Android based open gaming console

I expect A LOT of drama, what they are marketing is not actually what there will be, people will be as pissed as gamegadget.

You don´t really think you will be playing minecraft by march 13 on this console on your tv...

It brings people in to make ´assumptionts´ of possible devs, while this people are actually believing it.

Saying ´but we didn´t said that´ later won´t do any good. :p

By my calculations ($5,021,000 / 36,800) they have sold each unit at a price of $140. At the that price they should make a profit on each unit.

Looks like they cracked the $5 Million mark

^^^^Interesting to see how much product 3 raises via kickstart though I doubt they need anything like 5 million.

no, they should split up the project. a gaming market for android where every game supports real game controls is most desirable, but should not be bound to some hardware. a beagleboard-alike with a nice box would also have a niche market. a new bluetooth controller is just unneaded, there are enough of those to choose from already.

the market for real-game-control-games is the most interesting part of the project, but on the other hand, i don't understand why google isn't finally introducing a standard control together with tag in the play store. it would cost them near nothing and make their infrastructre really competetive in a new market. ouya would be obsolete in an instant.

it's not like having game controls would cost developers real money. damn, they probably strip out the support short before releasing their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this, a google controller would be a brilliant move

it wouldn't need to be a physical controller, they should just define how to map gaming controls or provide a standardized interface. A game adopting that method would get a gamepad tag in the play-store and everybody would be happy. Developers could just implement it and be sure it works with every device that has game contolls integrated or attached. That simple.

If Google released their own controller, or even official backed one, then I think it would spur more developers to include controller mapping

This is why I still have very positive gut feelings about this project, There are well known people behind, no "Phantoms" but Names that sureley want to prevent the project to fail. I'm sure, they can make this Console real in time, and not in "two months" ;)

By my calculations ($5,021,000 / 36,800) they have sold each unit at a price of $140. At the that price they should make a profit on each unit.

You are not counting the extra controllers ($30 each, I ordered one), international shipping ($20, needed that too) and Amazon and Kickstarter fees. They probably won't get much more than $99 per console.

- Kaitsu -

You are not counting the extra controllers ($30 each, I ordered one), international shipping ($20, needed that too) and Amazon and Kickstarter fees. They probably won't get much more than $99 per console.

- Kaitsu -

Yep.

Also, having an engineer on the project who has done work before is quite normal. Our own MWeston has quite an impressive CV.

What this OUYA engineer can't do is make a good quality console and controller economically for $90.

Maybe a combination of:

- taking a cut from games sold on the ouya app shop

- selling at a loss to kickstarter supporters to gain market traction

These guys certainly seem to have enough capital to make an initial loss

Maybe a combination of:
- taking a cut from games sold on the ouya app shop

- selling at a loss to kickstarter supporters to gain market traction

These guys certainly seem to have enough capital to make an initial loss

You can't be funded by KS and sell at a loss. Someone outside of your customer base has to fund that loss. So unless they really do have a hidden cache of money and are just using KS for publicity (which is deceitful, IMO - people are being told they need to give their money to make it happen) they can't sell these at a loss. It doesn't matter how much money they raise, the extra money is all tied to extra orders.

This is of course assuming that their plan isn't to ship out only a percentage of the units then hope that those people will spend enough money on the app store to fund the rest of the units. That would be insane.

Maybe they'll hold on to the money and get people to pay to upgrade their orders to get them faster ;ppp I'd love to see how something like that would go over for such a highly publicized product.

Also, having an engineer on the project who has done work before is quite normal. Our own MWeston has quite an impressive CV.

What this OUYA engineer can't do is make a good quality console and controller economically for $90.

At least the people involved seem to have some experience on things like these, so they are not total newbies with unrealistic expectations.They might be willing to take a few dollars loss on each console. Or there might be something we don't know.

I'm pretty confident they will be able to deliver in the end. Might be a bit later than promised, almost every project of the 40+ I've backed has had delays, some pretty long ones.

- Kaitsu -

What would be a winner is a universal controller dock for tablets capable of fitting 7" to 10" tablets that's the way the market is shifting and that's what the market lacks(at the moment)

Many Console hardware was sold with a loss, the profit came only from the games. This is not new or disturbing, it has worked for Nintendo, Sony etc... (for Atari maybe not so well but that's another story :D ) and at the Moment I see no reason why it shouldn't work with OUYA.

$99 may be a sharp calculation and may be under the build costs but I guess this doesn't matter as long they get enough money with Apps/games. If I have read this correctly, the indeed plan to make some profit with the Software/ appstore/ whatever.

Clever Trick, as long as there is enough good software and the users will buy it ,of course. ^^

I cant see a business model of funding past sales off inflated future sales to work very well.... where have i... oh wait...

But seriously between all the current donations i think they will break even if they cant sell at 100/ea

Official promotion and advertising is costly as well, so and a kindle fire type setup is a proven model, even if lots of people root it and put alternative markets on it, the ones that arent capable or dont want to do all that should be enough to make their plan viable.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Many Console hardware was sold with a loss, the profit came only from the games. This is not new or disturbing, it has worked for Nintendo, Sony etc... (for Atari maybe not so well but that's another story :D ) and at the Moment I see no reason why it shouldn't work with OUYA.
Not to detract from your point, but you may want to do a quick fact-check about the hardware-loss/game-profit thing. Nintendo has only ever sold one console at a loss and that one console has now returned to profitability again, and Atari sold the 2600 for a profit for much of its lifetime, for example (at one point it cost $40 to make a unit, which was sold for $125, for example). ;)

Official promotion and advertising is costly as well, so and a kindle fire type setup is a proven model, even if lots of people root it and put alternative markets on it, the ones that arent capable or dont want to do all that should be enough to make their plan viable.
The Kindle Fire is definitely a good example of selling at a loss and making up the rest via software, video, music, ebook, etc., sales. I wonder how it will fare if they ever get around to launching it worldwide...

Not to detract from your point, but you may want to do a quick fact-check about the hardware-loss/game-profit thing. Nintendo has only ever sold one console at a loss and that one console has now returned to profitability again, and Atari sold the 2600 for a profit for much of its lifetime, for example (at one point it cost $40 to make a unit, which was sold for $125, for example). ;)

The Kindle Fire is definitely a good example of selling at a loss and making up the rest via software, video, music, ebook, etc., sales. I wonder how it will fare if they ever get around to launching it worldwide...
Yeah they are very slow to release the kindle fire in europe.Heck i might have bought one!

Back