Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Looks like the pledge rate has almost come to a grinding halt. They are at $4.86 Million with 24 days left. They were getting 1000's of pledges an hour, now it seems like about 6 an hour. They may make $5.5 Mill by the end unless things pickup again (could well do).

Just even give them some time for success ...or fail... and not judging right now please. :rolleyes:

Give them a fair chance to proof that they can do it, you all wanted that people are fair to the Pandora, don't forget this. ;)
This is all well and good, but *not enough* people are questioning it - it's not judgement to point out some areas where it's plain that something does not seem right.

People have forgotten the lessons that should have been learned from the debacle surrounding the Phantom, and that's dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take this wrong way, but I've got to say that although caution should be taken regarding the Ouya . And that caution is easily justified, I find it , how do I say this, almost hypocrytical that such reservations would come from a Pandora forum thread, given the past debacle around the Pandora. I know that's harsh, but that's the way it feels.

Reminds me of that passage from the Bible. You know, the one that goes, Let anyone without sin throw the first stone.

^ I think, the big difference here is/was that Pandora was basically conceived (idea wise) via a forum community with most or all it's members coming together as one to make a console.

Don't take this wrong way, but I've got to say that although caution should be taken regarding the Ouya . And that caution is easily justified, I find it , how do I say this, almost hypocrytical that such reservations would come from a Pandora forum thread, given the past debacle around the Pandora. I know that's harsh, but that's the way it feels.

Reminds me of that passage from the Bible. You know, the one that goes, Let anyone without sin throw the first stone.
No hypocrisy on my part - Craig and ED were known entities, whose past history in the field was very easily verifiable. Likely even easier for me and others like me, who had done business with one or both of them prior to the conception of the Pandora.

I'm not easily seeing any past consoles, or hands in dealing with such consoles, from these guys, as was the case with Craig and ED...

Not to mention, I fully remember how the Phantom was promoted - i.e., almost exactly like this, in every way...

Would you then classify the Pandora Project as a success over the last 4 years. I know it has been looking bright as of just late, but judging the project as a whole for the last 4 years with people still waiting for there Pandora you would have to say no.

That was my point, I don't care how the project was put together or who was involved. It's the outcome that is important. Just comes across badly to bad mouth another project considering the past of the Pandora project as a whole.

Would you then classify the Pandora Project as a success over the last 4 years. I know it has been looking bright as of just late, but judging the project as a whole for the last 4 years with people still waiting for there Pandora you would have to say no.
This is a strawman. I never said anything about success - I said that the people behind it were easily verifiable as having been involved with such products before, and that I cannot see the same with the people behind the Ouya. I welcome corrections, as always. Please do point me in the right direction if they do have past consoles on the market!

That was my point, I don't care how the project was put together or who was involved. It's the outcome that is important. Just comes across badly to bad mouth another project considering the past of the Pandora project as a whole.
The outcome is certainly important, but not caring how a project is put together or who is involved is likely to be a very bad idea. It's how people get conned, as it represents a lack of research. As I keep pointing out, the same happened with the Phantom. But what concerns me greatly with this, is that whilst the Phantom was aimed at getting money from very rich people, the Ouya is getting backing from everyday people who want to buy into a dream - I would absolutely hate to see this turn out as the Phantom did, to be frank, and I don't see pointing out the frightening similarities as a bad thing. Caution is always good. That's not just for the sake of those investing, but because if it does turn out as the Phantom did, it is very likely to invalidate "crowdsourcing" funding platforms like Kickstarter as a whole, before they have even had the chance to do much.

If you really do see rightful caution based upon very similar past events as "badmouthing" something, then all I can do is hope that this machine works out alright for all of the people who have pledged towards it.

Sorry, but from my point of view, still not having a pandora after nearly 4years, needing to dump much more money to get it soon or forced to wait longer while it'll already be replaced by more powerfull pandora's. the pandora is far from a success, so when I see craigiX bashing on other project like he does, it makes me sad.

edit: I'm not so confident on project like theses, but it's not unlike what OP done

I think your on a tangent there Prometheus. All I said was that negative comments about the Ouya from members of a project with the history the Pandora has had, just comes across as hypocritical .

You have totally misunderstood my point about the pasts . The point is the Pandora project for the best part of the last 4 years has been a failure regardless of how it was put together or who it involved. I was not saying it wasn't important how and who puts a project together . Nor for that matter am I saying the points raised about Ouya are not valid. It just comes across badly coming from the Pandora Forum.

Edit: To sum it up, I'm sure you have heard of the expression "The Pot calling the Kettle Black" that's how this Ouya bashing from a Pandora Forum comes across to me. That's all my point is.

I think your on a tangent there Prometheus. All I said was that negative comments about the Ouya from members of a project with the history the Pandora has had, just comes across as hypocritical .
How am I "on a tangent" just for responding to what you said and pointing out that it's not hypocritical? This statement comes across as gaslighting.

You have totally misunderstood my point about the pasts . The point is the Pandora project for the best part of the last 4 years has been a failure regardless of how it was put together or who it involved. I was not saying it wasn't important how and who puts a project together . Nor for that matter am I saying the points raised about Ouya are not valid. It just comes across badly coming from the Pandora Forum.
If I have misunderstood, then please explain how the point is even relevant. You seem to be saying it directly in response to reservations about the Ouya.

Moreover, you appear to be assuming that everyone here who has reservations about this, doesn't also hold them about the Pandora* - this is a forum, not a hivemind, and it shouldn't matter what forum reservations about a project are coming from.

*(Personally, I do, it should be noted - I feel lucky that I even got mine, but I very likely won't be purchasing further products as I don't have that sort of confidence that I did with the original machine at the outset. This is irrelevant, though.)

I don't even know how to respond to your last post Prometheus other than to say it doesn't reflect anything I've said and is missleading. for example how am I assuming "that everyone here who has reservations about this, doesn't also hold them about the Pandora" . Where did that come from?

Your right, this is a forum where people can discuss there feeling about anything, I'm not stopping anyone from continuing to bash the Ouya. But that said , I also have the right to state how I feel about such comments.

And I whole heartedly agree with elwing, it seems whenever a new console is mentioned on these forums the first people to bash it are Craig etc. They have a right to of course, just as I have a right to voice my opinions about it and how it comes across.

I don't even know how to respond to your last post Prometheus other than to say it doesn't reflect anything I've said and is missleading. for example how am I assuming "that everyone here who has reservations about this, doesn't also hold them about the Pandora" . Where did that come from?
It came from these, and similar;

I find it , how do I say this, almost hypocrytical that such reservations would come from a Pandora forum thread
It just comes across badly coming from the Pandora Forum.
And, this, which did not appear until after my previous post;

Edit: To sum it up, I'm sure you have heard of the expression "The Pot calling the Kettle Black" that's how this Ouya bashing from a Pandora Forum comes across to me. That's all my point is.
Perhaps I haven't been clear: I don't see how it's hypocritical. Lots of members - none of whom are associated with the project (the same as myself) - are saying similar things. Please explain how it's hypocritical or how it comes across badly - I really want to understand what your point is.

I could understand it if you were referring solely to posts made by, say, Craig or someone else who's actually associated with the project, but you repeatedly referred to the forum/thread, which comes across as referring to all posts and/or posters within it.

I don't see how my post is misleading, either. I responded directly to your own words, and asked a question which didn't receive an answer.

Your right, this is a forum where people can discuss there feeling about anything, I'm not stopping anyone from continuing to bash the Ouya. But that said , I also have the right to state how I feel about such comments.
I think this is where we're not understanding each other: This statement makes it seem that you may be interpreting what people are saying as bashing, across the board, when that clearly isn't the case.

Nobody is saying that you don't have the right to state how you feel about such comments, but it would be a good idea not to tar-and-feather comments containing concern with the same brush as those containing bashing. ;)

EDIT: Oh, how I hate the unmarked editing facility on this forum... :lol:

And I whole heartedly agree with elwing, it seems whenever a new console is mentioned on these forums the first people to bash it are Craig etc. They have a right to of course, just as I have a right to voice my opinions about it and how it comes across.
I also agree with elwing and yourself on this. There is a worrying streak of this among some on this forum, in fact, and there are a couple of people around here who can vouch for the fact that it's been concerning me for a little while.

None of my comments you quoted remotely indicate that I assume no one here has reservations about the Pandora. Not one of them. If that's not misleading to quote someones comments and then say they say something that they clearly don't say , then I don't know what is. You don't like miss quoted Prometheus. So please provide the same respect to others.

All I said was that I feel comments bashing another project come across in a hypocritical way. Thats it, lets not go on tangents and draw unsaid meanings out of that. It represents how I feel, thats all.

None of my comments you quoted remotely indicate that I assume no one here has reservations about the Pandora. Not one of them. If that's not misleading to quote someones comments and then say they say something that they clearly don't say , then I don't know what is. You don't like miss quoted Prometheus. So please provide the same respect to others.
This is coming across like gaslighting again - I am not misquoting, and I am not being disrespectful in any fashion. I took the quotes that I quoted at face value, based purely on the wording within them. That's how I happen to read.

All I said was that I feel comments bashing another project come across in a hypocritical way. Thats it, lets not go on tangents and draw unsaid meanings out of that. It represents how I feel, thats all.
This is coming across as gaslighting again. I am not going on tangents or drawing unsaid meanings: I am taking the wording at face value. I fully respect how you feel. I would just like to understand why you are taking cautious comments as "bashing" and why you are taking cautious comments from people unrelated to a project that has been troubled as hypocritical on the basis of where they are being said.

Mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

If that's how you read my comments then that's your assumption on there meaning, not mine. They clearly don't say what you claim "I assume" from them - and how is saying this Gaslighting?.

If that's how you read my comments then that's your assumption on there meaning, not mine. They clearly don't say what you claim "I assume" from them - and how is saying this Gaslighting?.
My sincerest apologies, but my assumption is based on a plain reading of the text of your comments. They clearly say what the text in the quotes says.

Gaslighting would be the instances of saying that I am being misleading, that I am misquoting, that I am not affording others respect, that I am going on tangents, that I am drawing unsaid meaning, and other such suggestions, when all I am doing is very clearly asking why you hold your view because I dearly want to better understand it. (I take great interest in understanding views opposite to my own - I would like to know why, where I am cautious, your view is different, and where I see caution, you see bashing. More input helps me to form better-rounded views of things from my own perspective.)

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. Just say so and I will stop asking.

Back