what if nvidia and ouya were together together?

monstercameron

Website
www.thinkteletronics.com
I was thinking, right now shield has very few games that could work correctly with it (~50). It definitely needs a booster shot, or they need to throw wet, stinky cash everywhere but that would still take time and the scope would be narrow. What if the team up with ouya  and brought the ouya market(store or other synonym) games to the shield. They could co-market their products and collectively have two methods for playing games(nvidia will win either way).

even crazier if ouya allows(I haven't heard anything from ouya that would go against this)devs to integrate google play services. with a big enough push and constant media blitz, android gaming could explode! :wacko:

getting light headed thinking about it.

what are your guys' thoughts on this theoretical future?

It sounds excellent but I think STEAM is a vested partner  with NIVIDIA  and I don't know how that would jive with OUYA??..

Politics...

But in theory a grand scheme.

Last edited:
what if ouya quits trying to re-invent the dang wheel and gets google certified already, then make their market a "filter" on the play store and work out a deal with game devs that says they get a cut for referrals instead in exchange for advertising or spotlight rights on the default interface. 

That would allow the games to be cross platform instead of exclusive and stop the splintering of the application distribution channels, and show up in the google play store and thus, show up on the shield or any other android device with hardware buttons.

Add the OUYA as a hardware platform that can show up as device flag for developers to checkbox as a device that has physical controls or is able to run the application.

It will be terribly inconvenient to have to copy my apps from the OUYA to the shield... but if I have to do that just so I can play them because of some stupid exclusivity rights just because ouya wants a bigger slice of the pie... I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
what if ouya quits trying to re-invent the dang wheel and gets google certified already, then make their market a "filter" on the play store and work out a deal with game devs that says they get a cut for referrals instead in exchange for advertising or spotlight rights on the default interface. 

That would allow the games to be cross platform instead of exclusive and stop the splintering of the application distribution channels, and show up in the google play store and thus, show up on the shield or any other android device with hardware buttons.

Add the OUYA as a hardware platform that can show up as device flag for developers to checkbox as a device that has physical controls or is able to run the application.

It will be terribly inconvenient to have to copy my apps from the OUYA to the shield... but if I have to do that just so I can play them because of some stupid exclusivity rights just because ouya wants a bigger slice of the pie... I will.
that does sound better...does google allow revenues to be split with a third party? or maybe ouya would be the publisher for all the games then take their cut that way, maybe?

aside: I think you will be able to run the ouya dash on the shield, I can do it on my tab...but is is crashy crashy.

that does sound better...does google allow revenues to be split with a third party? or maybe ouya would be the publisher for all the games then take their cut that way, maybe?

aside: I think you will be able to run the ouya dash on the shield, I can do it on my tab...but is is crashy crashy.
Do you agree with what I said? In regards to STEAM?

Last edited:
what if ouya quits trying to re-invent the dang wheel and gets google certified already, then make their market a "filter" on the play store and work out a deal with game devs that says they get a cut for referrals instead in exchange for advertising or spotlight rights on the default interface.

That would allow the games to be cross platform instead of exclusive and stop the splintering of the application distribution channels, and show up in the google play store and thus, show up on the shield or any other android device with hardware buttons.

Add the OUYA as a hardware platform that can show up as device flag for developers to checkbox as a device that has physical controls or is able to run the application.

It will be terribly inconvenient to have to copy my apps from the OUYA to the shield... but if I have to do that just so I can play them because of some stupid exclusivity rights just because ouya wants a bigger slice of the pie... I will.

The tegra zone does that exact thing. Its a deal between google, the developers, and nvidia. Each get their cut and benefit from the partnership.

Sony does that as well with the "play station certified" devices.

That's only my experience with it, I'm sure other manufacturers try to do the same thing.

Its stuff like cell phone carriers that try to do what ouya is doing with their market and its not good, and apps usually just end up published to both channels anyway.

That is unless its exclusive to the ouya market, and then in that case, as a dev, you would be dumb as hell to limit your audience to one device on the platform when you could potentially market to some 600 million devices vs like 60,000 it would require a rather large cash incentive and timeframe contract for me to consider something like that.

Google play supports multiple versions of the same app for specific targets in the same app listing. Its rather polished and not limited in any way... At least no more than any other alternative.

Only downside would be having to share a cut with Google.... But considering the larger audience I feel its worth it.... Well unless you're ouya and want to maximise profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nvidia are a major investor with Ouya , food for thought. ie they are not just helping the Ouya team, they financially invested in it.

Android is like the NES right now, tons and tons of shitty games. The Tegra zone and ouya (to some extent) are trying to be what nintendo did to fix the problem, The Seal of Quality. But the games (at least in the tegra zone) are stil shit. And android has no 'first party' to carry it throught like nintendo. It needs well known game studios to start creating real full featured games for it. Shield might help that but its too expensive to really create much of a market.

Back