Ouya - Android based open gaming console

For me? Pandora. Then Wii U. This looks interesting though...

"We don't often report on startups without a physical product to their name"; There's a good reason for that - it invariably leads to trouble.

Does anyone remember the vast credibility that the press gave to Infinium Labs' "Phantom" before that start-up had a physical product to its name? Have these lessons already been forgotten?

I still have problem to understand how Android relate to games... specialy without touchscreen

It's certainly an interesting concept but it's hard to understand what benefits this would have over a mini Android computer such as the MK802, or whatever vastly more powerful alternative is available when the Ouya comes to market.

Garrett said:
Could this be your next console..?

No.

:lol:

It still makes me wonder why no one is trying anything exciting with their designs.

The 90's were full of such crazy stuff, the future really looked unknown, but now it's all just blank boxes and shiny cubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, i do not want to buy and place a tv screen in my small flat, so everything without a screen is not interesting for me. ;)

How the hell do people find anything on Kickstarter?! I find it nigh on impossible to "browse".

Looks kinda interesting, though not sure why it's "a new kind of video game console"

It does somewhat worry me when things like this show up on KS, $95 for the console and controller?

Really? I don't see how it can be done that cheap.

especially with the hardware they are specifying.

google loose money on the nexus 7 at 200$.

I was somewhat expecting a handheld :(

This is a disturbing project and could be a scam (or more likely, just misjudged).

I cannot believe Kickstarter are throwing caution to the wind here.

That spec and a *controller* cannot be done for that price.

Just start adding up the BoM, is this thing sold at a huge loss?

They have actually written 'We're figuring out how many we can make!'

Seriously? That should be part of the BoM calculations.

I suspect they are hoping for mostly huge publicity from this, and will try to deal with

the huge money pit later. Some PR company probably told them that $99 is the golden

price for an investor to pay.

No matter how I look at this I can't see how a controller like that (with all the licensed HW)

and the console (with all licences) can be done for that price, even at the most bargain

basement Chinese slave factory.

Thinking about this even further... Amazon and KS take ~10% of that money too.

So they are going to bring this in at ~$86?

Am I going mad here?

@Kane - There's a pre-existing thread for this concept here. If you would like this thread merged with that one, please give me a shout. :)

I've posted my thoughts in that one already, but I'll reiterate them here: The way the press are giving credibility to this, even to the point of saying that they wouldn't otherwise publicise a startup that hasn't actually made and sold any products yet, is very much like the debacle surrounding the appropriately-named "Phantom" console, from Infinium Labs. It's downright irritating that the lessons from that mess evidently were not learned.

This is a disturbing project and could be a scam (or more likely, just misjudged).

I cannot believe Kickstarter are throwing caution to the wind here.

That spec and a *controller* cannot be done for that price.

Just start adding up the BoM, is this thing sold at a huge loss?

They have actually written 'We're figuring out how many we can make!'

Seriously? That should be part of the BoM calculations.

I suspect they are hoping for mostly huge publicity from this, and will try to deal with

the huge money pit later. Some PR company probably told them that $99 is the golden

price for an investor to pay.

No matter how I look at this I can't see how a controller like that (with all the licensed HW)

and the console (with all licences) can be done for that price, even at the most bargain

basement Chinese slave factory.

Thinking about this even further... Amazon and KS take ~10% of that money too.

So they are going to bring this in at ~$86?

Am I going mad here?

I agree, if they sold just the console for a hundred it could be believable,

It has the same exact cpu/ram/storage specs as the nexus 7 whose cost is apparently $184 with the screen being ~$80 of that. Then leave out a battery, nfc, accelerometers, digitizer which would put them somewhere around ~$85.

(Disclaimer: all of these numbers are approximations from looking at various tear downs for similar devices.)

They would have around to make the controller for around 10 dollars which means it's probably going to be crap. I don't care how many features it has; if it's unresponsive or feels like crap.

This doesn't even count engineering, manufacturing, marketing, or design costs.

So I feel it could be done but it'll probably be low quality crap.

It does somewhat worry me when things like this show up on KS, $95 for the console and controller?

Really? I don't see how it can be done that cheap.
If the Raspberry can be 25$, I see no worries about an Tegra 3 Console for 99$. :)
I'm sure they plan in big quantities, maybe 100K and much more. There is no magic behind and from my view of the project, it is promising, they look professional and may even have working prototypes. Lets see, if they can manage this and find the right companies for the mass production manufacturing. We know that this may be the hardest part of such an project.

And in the Video, we already can see how they save money: they make the prototype Designs per hand with some pieces of wood, not with expencive 3D Printers. ;)

I really see this project in the spirit of Open Pandora, so we all should cross our fingers that they may success.

Yep, I think this is just a loss making publicity campaign.
Why so negative? Actualy you should be the first person to support them, I see many parallels to the Pandora, in a positive manner of course.

Back