Huawei Tron Android gaming console

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Looks like Huawei is getting in on the Android game console business.   They are releasing a Tegra 4 gaming console after May this year for about $120. Controller has a touchpad like the Ouya.  

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/8/5288576/huaweis-tron-android-console-hands-on

huawei-tron-5.jpg

tron-controller.jpg

tron-controller-2.jpg

I wonder if it will be as crappy as my huawei 3g wi-fi dongle. When in doubt pop the battery out!!

Also, nothing to do with Tron...hmmm Tron 2? Nope nothing to do with that either...hmmm.

It looks a bit like a deep fat fryer...mmm chips...

Seriously though I'm yawning inside due to the deluge of these devices now.

A gaming device and deep fat fryer in one. Wow!! This is the future.

Play and eat nutritious deep fried greasy foods 24/7.

Damn them chinese are smart.

HMM toilet, deep fat fryer and gaming device in one...I'm gonna get a stroke!!...a stroke of genius!!!

Right! Lets build this awesome device!! Jack of all trades, master of none!!

People on kickstarter will back any old TAT!!!

Introducing the Anyfrybot!! (Android + Fry + Bottom)

Failing that there is always indiegogo!!

Yehaaaaa!! Pardner!!!

Is that the chink of tumbling coins I hear!!

I think that you really underestimate Huawei. IMO they have the biggest chance to make "the right OUYA"  I really hope that they will do it right, and we will be able to see it at least in Europe.

FYI, In most cases ,HUAWEI`s telecommunication and network equipment is far more superior then the others, already established names like: Alcatel Lucent, Ericsson, Cisco and so on.

They beat them both price and performance wise, so give this guys a chance to prove them selfs on the gaming market. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you really underestimate Huawei. IMO they have the biggest chance to make "the right OUYA"  I really hope that they will do it right, and we will be able to see it at least in Europe.

FYI, In most cases ,HUAWEI`s telecommunication and network equipment is far more superior then the others, already established names like: Alcatel Lucent, Ericsson, Cisco and so on.

They beat them both price and performance wise, so give this guys a chance to prove them selfs on the gaming market. :)
I'm sure its fine. There is just so many android devices now its ridiculous and it does kinda look like a deep fat fryer. :)

Yeah, I am sick of these android devices too :)

But on the bright side, if they manage to release it worldwide, it will be the cheapest Tegra 4 device so far, and as we know, with some tweaks, it will be able to boot Linux...  :)

EDIT: 

it really looks like deep fryer but the actual device is tiny, more like a coffee mug.

In other way, Mac Pro 2013 is the real fryer. :D

vs01-08_1831mn_1_verge_super_wide.jpg

I think the main stumbling point for these devices is that a lot of the software is intended for touchscreen or uses stupid touch controls because of previous touch-onlyness of Android and require remapping software to map the touch controls to the controller.

Android itself should provide a physical mapping layer - that probably allows uploading mapping configurations on a per app and per system/controller basis.

It feels very clunky for an end user I guess. And yes there are so many of these OUYA style devices now. Just as there are more and more Android handheld consoles.

I completely agree about the interface. Android isn't meant for use without a touchscreen. Just like most desktop environments aren't made for use with a touchscreen or without a mouse. Square peg, round hole. It works, but it's less than ideal.

It's amazing nobody has come up with a solution for this problem yet. There are some interfaces that come close, but none have been made that replicates a normal desktop type of environment in mind.

OUYA's launcher is pretty good if it's main purpose is to be controlled with a dpad/buttons

Why does not even one of these companys build a proper Linuxgaming-box with some kind of preconfigured Debian for all those games from the humble store? Well, steambox goes into that direction but something like that with DRM-free in mind would be neat.

6 people total would buy it

android gaming > linux gaming, when it comes to reproducing a game console experience.

There are some android on a stick devices with linux on them, don't think they have humble bundle games on it though

Back