GamePop - Another Android Console

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Another Android game console is entering the market called GamePop.  It's a subscription based offering for $6.99/Month - For that you get the console, controller , hdmi cable , power adapter + several hundred  and growing games. Apparently you can keep it after 12 months - $84

Heres the Engadget story on it:  http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/bluestacks-gamepop-android-game-console/

There website:  www.gamepop.tv    -  Yes it's a cube console based on Android with a site using the .tv domain - sound familiar?

I like how they want people to pre-order it without even telling you the specs or showing you the controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Android game console is entering the market called GamePop.  It's a subscription based offering for $6.99/Month - For that you get the console, controller , hdmi cable , power adapter + several hundred  and growing games. Apparently you can keep it after 12 months - $84

Heres the Engadget story on it:  http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/09/bluestacks-gamepop-android-game-console/

There website:  www.gamepop.tv    -  Yes it's a cube console based on Android with a site using the .tv domain - sound familiar?

I like how they want people to pre-order it without even telling you the specs or showing you the controller.
I agree. At least give me specs for my trust $$$.  

I am not fond of the pay per month structure either. 

To my knowledge OUYA is not doing such.

Last edited:
It's funny I see devices like this and I ask why? My phone has HDMI and I can pair it with a bluetooth controller easy enough. I can just unplug it and put it in my pocket.

The Raspberry Pi  even with it's weaker performance has more of a draw because of what can be done with it as a hobbiest device.. easy access to GPIOs, I2C.. etc

Hell I'm turning mine into a cheap, remote operated 8 channel oscilloscope with less than $100 US invested into the whole project. I just have a huge programming project on my hands.

Ya, its literally cheaper to just have a nice android phone, buy an HDMI cable (and MHL adapter if needed) and use a Bluetooth controller

Oh, I just looked at the site. It says "By bluestacks" which is an Android emulator for Windows and Mac (look at my signature). So I winder if the Gamepop will actually be x86? If that's the case it might actually offer something more than other Android consoles. But ya, I'm not gunna preorder it without knowing more about it.

Hope that it wont be a x86+GT520 in a mini ITX case running Arch.   :D

Just kidding.

I think it will be a cloud solution.  :)

Well the monthly fee (as I understand it) is only until the console is payed for. After that there is no monthly fee. Doesn't seem like a very good way to make money if you have to constantly run a server.

Well the monthly fee (as I understand it) is only until the console is payed for. After that there is no monthly fee. Doesn't seem like a very good way to make money if you have to constantly run a server.
yeah, I missed that part :)

^agreed

The monthly fee is ongoing , you can stop paying after 12 months and are then able to keep the console - but you will lose access to the games. It's a subscription service which gives you access to hundreds of games for $6.99/month, stop paying then you stop playing - that's how I read it anyway (could be wrong).  ie keep paying and you have GamePop, stop and you have GamePoop 

Gamepop is scheduled to be released in Winter. Below is a claim they make on their site regarding HW. By winter a top phone will be sporting either a Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800. IS this thing really going to have one of those SOC's. If not, there are going to be some serious questions asked.

"What is the hardware inside the system and what does the controller look like?

We have not yet announced this level of detail but suffice it to say all games will run as fast or faster than they do on a top mobile phone. The controller is like none seen before and we'll be sharing more details soon."

If Google had launched Gift Cards and advertised their music platforms as comparable with iPhones from the beginning there wouldn't be this huge gap in the revenue between iTunes and Google Play

Back