Outstanding dosbox performance on custom built dosbox with optimisations for Pyra.

nice to see the arm dynamic core is shining with the pyra cpu.

Im just guessing but maybe we a have 10k to 15 k cycles now? Pandora had about 5k. We might be able to run mt32 emulation now for some older games.

So does this run so good because of the sheer raw CPU power of the OMAP 5 or does this SoC comes with other benefits and tweaks that makes such emulation faster compared to the OMAP3 of the Pandora?

So does this run so good because of the sheer raw CPU power of the OMAP 5 or does this SoC comes with other benefits and tweaks that makes such emulation faster compared to the OMAP3 of the Pandora?

Much more efficient CPU (in instructions/cycle aka work-done-per-GHz), much much much more efficient FPU, a lot more cache, much faster RAM.

More videos, unfortunately no sound yet (I'd rather not share with the world the sound of clattering keys). I will have my Elgato game capture device working at some point this weekend with sound.. hopefully if my Analogue audio method works.

Demonstrated in order:

Crusader - No Regret

Redneck Rampage

Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

I did have a TIE Fighter video too but yeah it was pretty crappy.

Enjoy https://www.dropbox.com/s/qahc6veedm02gwd/moregames.m4v?dl=0

Thanks for that, Wally. I think that last one is actually the original Dark Forces. But it is great to see it running so smooth. Thanks!

Sounds like I'll have to wait to see how Dark Forces II runs in Exagear since there is no DOS version.

Much more efficient CPU (in instructions/cycle aka work-done-per-GHz), much much much more efficient FPU, a lot more cache, much faster RAM.

Very nice, sounds promising. When I look what's already possible on the old Pandora (Diablo 2! :D  ), there should be indeed even more possible on the Pyra (Diablo 2 with HW acceleration mode? I mean the fancy one with enabled "Parallax effect"- thingy ).

My personal other wish: Unreal1/ Unreal Tournament (1!) in real playable condition. I know there were experimental portings on the Pandora as well, so I have high hopes to get this really working...somehow... (I know it's not a DOS Game! :p  )

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal other with: Unreal1/ Unreal Tournament (1!) in real playable condition. I know there were experimental portings on the Pandora as well, so I have high hopes to get this really working...somehow... (I know it's not a DOS Game! :p  )

My only hangups is with audio other wise it's fully playable, The Linux version of Unreal Tournament used OSS, I can't seem to get a working OSS to Alsa or pulseaudio setup through exagear. 

Guys,

If you want me to test something, at least give me something to work off.. Don't go aiming in the dark at games you aren't sure are DOS and PLEASE give me an archive.org link to a demo or a link to mobygames proving it is a DOS game.

I'm not doing all your dirty work.

In addition: If it runs on the Pandora already then there's really no point me checking it on the Pyraboard. I really don't want to to Terminal Velocity anymore.

It would be nice if you could test:

Others I could think of, but my personal interest in them is rather low:

thanks !

Wow! Thank you so much for the video! It seems that we are going to have the near-perfect MS-Dos machine! Aside from the resize, will the GPU improve the performance of DosBOX or it have nothing to do with that?

Hmm I had an inverted colo(u)rs when trying the DOS version of MDK on your old dosbox version, seems okay in that video. 

Guys,

If you want me to test something, at least give me something to work off.. Don't go aiming in the dark at games you aren't sure are DOS and PLEASE give me an archive.org link to a demo or a link to mobygames proving it is a DOS game.

I'm not doing all your dirty work.

In addition: If it runs on the Pandora already then there's really no point me checking it on the Pyraboard. I really don't want to to Terminal Velocity anymore.

Well, then I would pick Dungeon Keeper. It runs somehow on the Pandora but I would not call this any playable. Original Dungeon Keeper had also a Win95 Mode but the DOS  mode ran much better when I remember correctly. Demo available.

https://archive.org/details/DungeonKeeper_1020

Back