Mame Running On Pandora. Video(s) Inside.

Zodttd have you had time to get MK2 or NBA JAM working yet or still trying to port Mame .128?

Sorry to ask, but so excited about MAME on the Pandora, even Pacman will look sharp as on the screen :p

Edit: Are the final boards still kickass red colour?

joshwaan2k said:
Zodttd have you had time to get MK2 or NBA JAM working yet or still trying to port Mame .128?

Sorry to ask, but so excited about MAME on the Pandora, even Pacman will look sharp as on the screen :p
It would be a beautiful thing to see the list of working games on a handheld go up several thousand counts!

Maybe its just me but the prospect of seeing mame .34-.37 games or any of the other platforms the gp2x or wiz can already do well doesn't get me nearly as excited as the mame .106 and above games or gba, psx, or n64 games that the gp2x can't come close to doing.

off topic for this thread but it'd be really nice to see how basillisk or one of the amiga emulators would do with more speed and better input.... and then see games running on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Agnus said:
off topic for this thread but it'd be really nice to see how basillisk or one of the amiga emulators would do with more speed and better input.... and then see games running on them.
One of the Amiga emulators, you say? Is this any good? :p

After looking through most of the mame releases .102 looks to be one of the best versions to port. Not quite as demanding specs wise lots of game support.

My games wish list to work Full speed with sound.

Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 Ultimate
NBA Jam TE
Evelator Action Returns
World Rally
Killer Instant might be possible with Cortex @ 900MHZ hehe
Primal Rage
Tekken Maybe with Cortex clocked up a bit.
Donpanchi

If most of these games run full speed I'll die happy gamer.

joshwaan2k said:
After looking through most of the mame releases .102 looks to be one of the best versions to port. Not quite as demanding specs wise lots of game support.

NBA Jam TE
Evelator Action Returns
World Rally
Primal Rage
Donpanchi

None of those games will run fullspeed (or even halfspeed) on the Pandora with MAME .102

That's a fact.

Uukrul said:
joshwaan2k said:

NBA Jam TE
Evelator Action Returns
World Rally
Primal Rage
Donpanchi

None of those games will run fullspeed (or even halfspeed) on the Pandora with MAME .102

That's a fact.

Well, that's obviously not true, as we've already seen mortal kombat running :) But as for the others...

Tekken definitely won't run at a good speed in mame, but that's fine cause you can just play it on the playstation emulator.

Donpachi will probably be slow in mame but you can play it in FBA and it'll run fine.

Elevator Action Returns will unfortunately not run well in mame. I'm not really sure if we have any alternatives there... I do wonder if it'd be possible to port raine to pandora though, which might allow us to play it fullspeed along with various other taito goodness...

I'm not sure about the other games, but remember, mame is a very slow emulator and it's always best to use an alternative if possible.

Np Uukrul I guess we will have to wait and see.

I did some more testing with my Xbox

CPU: 733 MHz Custom Intel Coppermine-based processor.
64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; 6.4 GB/s
GPU and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" Custom Geforce 3

Mame .84.6 with 44KHZ sound no Frameskip.

MK1 43/53 FPS Judging by the video of MK1 I'd say it's doing 50/53 FPS that's why theres no stutter almost full speed @ 500MHZ :)
MK2 28/53FPS on Average
MK3 30/53FPS
NBA JAM 37/53FPS
NBA Hangtime 26/53FPS
Primal Rage 25/60FPS CraigX this might be the game you need to up the Pandora to 900MHZ for hehe :p
All games are pretty demanding and would be a good test for the Pandora's version of Mame.

Maybe .86 Xbox version be a good one to use with the Pandora.

joshwaan2k said:
Till the hell freezes :p

Now that you are talking about Xbox, I'll give you an example: I have MAME .106 running on my Xbox and Elevator Action 2 and the other taito_f3 games run at 15/20 fps (being generous); the same games run at 140 fps using Raine on the Xbox...

And no, the Pandora isn't more powerful than the Xbox.

Uukrul said:
joshwaan2k said:
Till the hell freezes :p

Now that you are talking about Xbox, I'll give you an example: I have MAME .106 running on my Xbox and Elevator Action 2 and the other taito_f3 games run at 15/20 fps (being generous); the same games run at 140 fps using Raine on the Xbox...

And no, the Pandora isn't more powerful than the Xbox.

Wow that's quite a differance, but the pandora can have more L2 cache allocated I read up to 1 MB somewhere.

So maybe @ 600MHZ with more L2 cache it should improve performance quite a bit better on the Midway games. Guess it comes down to optimisation, Time will tell I surpose.

Xbox's Cache is from Wiki

Xbox 32 KB L1 cache.
128 KB on-die L2 Cache

I'm really just praying I can play NBA JAM, MK2 full speed portable :p

It seems that MAME 0.37 runs all the classics at fullspeed, this is a great starting point I think.

Does anyone know what version of MAME starts to use save states?

Also, If MAME is so slow why not use another emualtor for arcade games? I am sure there is a reason, I just don't know it.

One more question, I was on Zodttd's site and looked at the list of supported games for his port of MAME to iphone and the list of supported games is fantastic. Is this version 0.37 or higher?

Any info on these questions would be appreciated !!!

For some reason, my realist mind convinced itself that MK2 wasn't going to be a reality on the Pandora so I put it out of my head. To find that it's really within reach, I have yet one more thing to show to my friends. Portable arcade MK2...

*laspses into a coma*

what about wrestle war?!
?
are there any more vids going to be posted of the more requested games?? such as tmnt, simpsons etc

mindlord said:
For some reason, my realist mind convinced itself that MK2 wasn't going to be a reality on the Pandora so I put it out of my head. To find that it's really within reach, I have yet one more thing to show to my friends. Portable arcade MK2...

*laspses into a coma*
Yeah same here, if that and NBA Jam are full speed with sound whatever the version of Mame, I'll donate quite a bit of money I'm serious too :)

I really, really want CPS 3 emulation.

(Looks through wallet quickly) I will donate $20 to the guy who develops CPS 3 on Pandora. I really mean it, the full $20, no strings attached. :p

Vince2501 said:
I really, really want CPS 3 emulation.

(Looks through wallet quickly) I will donate $20 to the guy who develops CPS 3 on Pandora. I really mean it, the full $20, no strings attached. :p
Squidge->Finalburn Alpha should be able to get the Pandora to play CPS 3 games quite well. Mame maybe not.

I'll donate 50 AU for getting MK2 and NBA Jam full speed :)

I am still wondering if there will be a front end for whichever MAME version is ported to pandora like I saw for gp2x with all of the screenshots of each game as you scroll through them. this is a great feature. Anyone know who made this front end for gp2x ?

see this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bK_Y3XVh_A

Back