Outstanding dosbox performance on custom built dosbox with optimisations for Pyra.

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
That only has a Windows version, so DOSBOX wouldn't work. I tried it with Exagear + WINE and ran into some issues if I recall it may have been the CD Security causing it to fail to launch even with the official CD in a USB drive... I can try getting Steam working again on my devboard and try that version. 
Sadly when emulating stuff like that you MIGHT have to use a cracked version with the security stuff removed, it's always hardware dependant.

___

Advanced Member
yay! I am excited for lba2, fallout and kknd! Could you try any of these please? Wing Commander Privateer, Bleifuss Fun (apparently called Ignition in the US) and destruction derby? cheers!

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
So I compiled a fresh and vanilla version of Dosbox, using (mostly) @Wally's parameters.

And here is screamer running on the Pandora (Low res mode, default everything for Dosbox, not ompadss accelerated).

screamer_pandora.mp4

It is running quite well on the Pandora in fact. I need to had a few hack, to make DPad working with ompadss, plus I have a crash everytime I quit dosbox, but it seems it handled DOS4GW games much better then what I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

I am a banana!
Staff member
More videos, unfortunately no sound yet (I'd rather not share with the world the sound of clattering keys). I will have my Elgato game capture device working at some point this weekend with sound.. hopefully if my Analogue audio method works.

Demonstrated in order:

Crusader - No Regret

Redneck Rampage

Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

I did have a TIE Fighter video too but yeah it was pretty crappy.

Enjoy https://www.dropbox.com/s/qahc6veedm02gwd/moregames.m4v?dl=0

LTStone

So I compiled a fresh and vanilla version of Dosbox, using (mostly) @Wally's parameters.

And here is screamer running on the Pandora (Low res mode, default everything for Dosbox, not ompadss accelerated).

screamer_pandora.mp4

It is running quite well on the Pandora in fact. I need to had a few hack, to make DPad working with ompadss, plus I have a crash everytime I quit dosbox, but it seems it handled DOS4GW games much better then what I remember.
So does this mean we have a faster version of dosbox for the Pandora?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member

screamer_pandora.mp4

that would be awesome - why is your build much better than the ones we have though ? 

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I saw the video of PtitSeb, it's better than before on Pandora but still the FPS is a little too low to be perfectly playable. But still a great improvement vs the slideshow it used to be :p

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
So does this mean we have a faster version of dosbox for the Pandora?
Yes, but I still have to work on that version, package it (find a gui). That will take some time.

that would be awesome - why is your build much better than the ones we have though ? 
I guess they (the dosbox maintener) improved the 32bit mode support, and especialy the DOS4GW extender.

I saw the video of PtitSeb, it's better than before on Pandora but still the FPS is a little too low to be perfectly playable. But still a great improvement vs the slideshow it used to be :p
This is without omapdss for the rendering. I have some work to make it run (dpad and ABXY button are not detected without hack, but I should have a diff for that somewhere), but it may add the few missing fps to make it perfect. I did finish first on my test run, so it's getting good anyway :)

LTStone

Yes, but I still have to work on that version, package it (find a gui). That will take some time.

I guess they (the dosbox maintener) improved the 32bit mode support, and especialy the DOS4GW extender.

This is without omapdss for the rendering. I have some work to make it run (dpad and ABXY button are not detected without hack, but I should have a diff for that somewhere), but it may add the few missing fps to make it perfect. I did finish first on my test run, so it's getting good anyway :)
This is great news as Fallout is sooooo close to being playable for me and maybe this update will do that :)

ElPoco

Very Active Member
Yay! Thanks for the update PtitSeb! That's even more stuff I can play on the Pandora and even less need for a Pyra ;)

PowerGod

Advanced Member
My browser keep downloading something huge from the second page of this thread that halves my download speed, and I can't find what it is

WizardStan

Mega GP Mania
Could be prefetching the mp4 files.

Not sue what browser you have but if you bring up the debug window (usually F12) there should be a "Network" tab that lists everything it's downloading.