Mame Running On Pandora. Video(s) Inside.

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hi! :)

Most are probably aware I've been swamped with things to do lately. I took a break from working on psx4pandora (more videos of that one coming soon!) and was able to quickly port Franxis' mame4all project over to my Pandora devkit.

Here's my initial video of Outrun running via MAME on my Pandora devkit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHoQZBVBPc

I found out a few things from this video:
1. Outrun makes some hideous ambient sound effects ;P
2. Everything I threw at mame4all ported to the Pandora @ 500MHz ran spot on! I haven't run into a game I needed to change from actual MAME timings (no underclocking).
3. Porting was done in two hours of work. It shows the quality of the mame4all code, as well as the ease of porting.
4. Performance gains from GP2X to Pandora are outstanding. :)

So while I have the camcorder set up and mame loaded...what would make some cool MAME videos to out-do the Outrun one?

Should I do a video of games like Pacman, Galaga, Joust, etc..? Basically, the classics in a single video.

What games would you like to see? I will try my best to get it in a video. I know last time I got sidetracked, so I will take em as they come instead of waiting around. :)

Thanks,
ZodTTD

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling this news will be received well.

Great work Zod and thanks for the vid. Looks fantastic! :) I don't have any game suggestions off the top of my head, might have to fire up the 2X and jog my memory.

zodttd said:
Hi! :)

Most are probably aware I've been swamped with things to do lately. I took a break from working on psx4pandora (more videos of that one coming soon!) and was able to quickly port Franxis' mame4all project over to my Pandora devkit.

Here's my initial video of Outrun running via MAME on my Pandora devkit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHoQZBVBPc

I found out a few things from this video:
1. Outrun makes some hideous ambient sound effects ;P
2. Everything I threw at mame4all ported to the Pandora @ 500MHz ran spot on! I haven't run into a game I needed to change from actual MAME timings (no underclocking).
3. Porting was done in two hours of work. It shows the quality of the mame4all code, as well as the ease of porting.
4. Performance gains from GP2X to Pandora are outstanding. :)

So while I have the camcorder set up and mame loaded...what would make some cool MAME videos to out-do the Outrun one?

Should I do a video of games like Pacman, Galaga, Joust, etc..? Basically, the classics in a single video.

What games would you like to see? I will try my best to get it in a video. I know last time I got sidetracked, so I will take em as they come instead of waiting around. :)

Thanks,
ZodTTD

Great work ZodTTD! :D I'd like to see Mortal Kombat 1 or 2, The Simpsons, X-Men, Sunset Riders if you have those handy.

Hi :) that's pretty spectacular, I wonder what games could push it most from whatever's available from 0.37. Basically I'd like to see something tax it. And for reference, just a guess off the top of your head- how far up the years could Pandora emulate coin ops close to fullspeed - I mean you mentioned you'd like to bring it up to date.. but I am not assuming it will happen don't worry :)

will you be able to run the snk neo geo roms on the current version you have ported? A video of those would be awesome. I use to play magician lord and nam1965 in the arcades. Could you make a vid of those? If you have them, that is?

Ooh, that's awesome. :D Thanks much for posting it up, Zod.

I hope you don't mind me adding to the already-growing list, but two games I'd personally be curious about seeing, if you have them and if it isn't too much trouble, are Street Fighter II' Championship Edition, and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. :)

Great input! One thing to keep in mind is I have limited controller skills while I video it. :p

I have the full MAME 0.37 set. :)

ish420: I definitely have NeoGeo emulated via MAME. Some stuff I have run so far is Metal Slug 1/2 and Magical Drop 3.

So far I have on the list:

Street Fighter II' Championship Edition <--- Runs great but may have to run in demo mode for the video
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters
Mortal Kombat 1 or 2
The Simpsons <--- Used this one for testing, runs great!
X-Men
Sunset Riders
Ghouls 'n Ghosts <--- Good one!

If I go "retro" and do stuff like Pacman, Galaga, Joust and such...what are some of those you'd want to see?

Excited!
ZodTTD

Neo Geo games should run fullspeed if/when gngeo gets ported. Also, CPS1/2 games should run fullspeed considering Final Burn Alpha is already ported to the Pandora.

I'm loving what you've got on that list, zodttd. I'm guessing you're holding the camera with one hand and controlling the game with the other (I was just wondering if it was possible to, at least at some point in the video, zoom out a bit and show the hardware while its running MAME)?

zodttd said:
If I go "retro" and do stuff like Pacman, Galaga, Joust and such...what are some of those you'd want to see?

Excited!
ZodTTD
Burger Time, Time Pilot, Stargate, Centipede are some of my favorites. :D

Sheer class as usual, thanks Zod :D

+1 for seeing Sunset Riders and the original Star Wars game would be great too.

p.s Wasn't Franxis one of the main developers who said he wouldn't be getting a Pandora, or that he had no interest in it? That would be a real shame :(

zodttd said:
Great input! One thing to keep in mind is I have limited controller skills while I video it. :p

I have the full MAME 0.37 set. :)

ish420: I definitely have NeoGeo emulated via MAME. Some stuff I have run so far is Metal Slug 1/2 and Magical Drop 3.

So far I have on the list:

Street Fighter II' Championship Edition <--- Runs great but may have to run in demo mode for the video
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters
Mortal Kombat 1 or 2
The Simpsons <--- Used this one for testing, runs great!
X-Men
Sunset Riders
Ghouls 'n Ghosts <--- Good one!

Excited!
ZodTTD
WOOHOOOO.
This is very exciting.
PACMAN or ms.pacman galaga sound great. let's go retro.

Going from classics is elevator action in there?
And Final Fight is one I would be playing a lot of ;)

Doesn't seem to be a lot from .37 that could tax it from my quick browsing :D

Moon Patrol would be cool!

Tripmonkey_uk said:
p.s Wasn't Franxis one of the main developers who said he wouldn't be getting a Pandora, or that he had no interest in it? That would be a real shame :(
He initially wasn't into the idea, but I get the feeling he's warmed to it a little. Last I heard (read), he was interested in hearing feedback on the first batch.

Hopefully this motivates Franxis. I personally want to see the latest version of MAME ported, if feasible. If Franxis is up for it, that would be awesome. If not, I'm sure others like me are wanting in on it too! :)

Burger Time and Elevator Action! Good times there! I also know the original Star Wars is good to go to. Ms Pacman is a classic too!

I can think of others, like Crystal Castles, Sinistar, Klax.

And stuff like NBA Jam comes to mind. :)

Oh, NeoGeo runs really well via MAME with Pandora, though GNGeo has it's place for sure on this handheld. It would allow for underclocking to conserve on power as well.

Oh Moon Patrol! Heh good one! Dig Dug was one of my favs back then. It was next to the Moon Patrol cabinet at an arcade nearby. :)

zodttd said:
Tron and/or Discs of Tron. No contest.

Oh ZODTTD, is there anything you cant do? ;)

TMNT please!
Knights of the round!
Ghouls N Ghosts!

I read on the Youtube comments of MAME4ALL that "an N64 emu for Pandora is to be seen", does that mean one is being worked on? :)

Back